Manx Air Charter Dragon Rapides

fjaweijfopi4j48

Esteemed fellow BMers

Long ago my late in-laws gifted me a postcard that was a memento of them flying in a Rapide of Manx Air Charters:

By chance it reappeared as I was shuffling old photos:

IMG_1716+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Some of you may know that I have built and posted here 4 of them in the last two years (completely forgetting about that photo).

I still have another kit (yeap, I like this plane) and was playing with the idea of building it as one of these machines.

The Net turned up a few photos, and some tag with the very strange logo they used (those three running legs, weird to say the least!), but I have no clue as what the colors were (the planes and logo, that is)

Could anyone please tell me something about those colors?

Thanks in advance for your kindness

Repeated offender

• Like 6

Manx Air Charters Ltd operated from 1948 to 1952 when they became Manx Airlines Ltd. They used one DH89 Dragon Rapide G-AEMH and four DH89As G-AJGV "Glen Helen", G-AKGY "Glen Maye", G-AKIF "Glen Wyllin" which is still airworthy and G-AKSE "Glen Mona". The names are those of glens in the Isle of Man. Your postcard shows G-AJGV and G-AKGY.

The colour scheme, other than the logo, was silver and black; it's as simple as that.  The three legs logo is the Isle of Man emblem which was incorporated into the company's logo which remained in use with Manx Airlines on Dakotas and Wayfarers until the early 1960s.

In our museum we've got a lovely example of the logo which was carefully cut out of the ticket office wall in the IOM airport terminal. The logo is the same as Manx Air Charters, just the name is changed to Manx Airlines. I've used a photo of the logo to make decals for Manx Airlines aircraft.  I don't use any photohosting sites so I can't post the photos on here but I'll gladly email you a photo of the logo and photos of the aircraft from our archives.

You're welcome to post the photos here if you wish so everybody will be wanting to build Manx aeroplanes!

Edit - I just had the bright idea of using the Manx Airlines logo as my profile picture!

Edited by Ivor Ramsden
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

The colour scheme, other than the logo, was silver and black; it's as simple as that.  The three legs logo is the Isle of Man emblem which was incorporated into the company's logo which remained in use with Manx Airlines on Dakotas and Wayfarers until the early 1960s.

Thanks a bunch, Ivor!

I will be in touch soon directly.

Cheers

What a coincidence, as I have just bought a copy of the 1997 book "Wings of Mann" by Gordon N. Kniveton, in order to build a couple of Manx Air Charter/Airlines aircraft.  If you don't mind Moa, I would be grateful if you and Ivor could post anything relevant please.  I do have an Aeroclub DH.89A Dragon Rapide to build, so that will be one of the aircraft, and will follow your WiP if you do one for the Manx version.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

What a coincidence, as I have just bought a copy of the 1997 book "Wings of Mann" by Gordon N. Kniveton, in order to build a couple of Manx Air Charter/Airlines aircraft.  If you don't mind Moa, I would be grateful if you and Ivor could post anything relevant please.  I do have an Aeroclub DH.89A Dragon Rapide to build, so that will be one of the aircraft, and will follow your WiP if you do one for the Manx version.

cheers,

Mike

Absolutely, Mike

Ivor was extremely kind helping with this (again my gratitude to him).

I will upload the photos that can be shared without copyright issues here for you and others, after I have uploaded them somewhere else so I can link them.

In due time I will start as usual a WiP thread too, but I will be going -for the sixth time in my life-, for the 1/72nd Heller kit or one of its reincarnations, not sure how much commonalty can be found that may help you.

In any case, yes, I will post the images that can be freely posted soon here.

Cheers

• Like 5

Will be keeping track of this thread, Moa. The IoM is our holiday destination of choice.  Anne has relatives there and we have been many times and visited Ivor’s museum.  Lovely place.

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

Will be keeping track of this thread, Moa. The IoM is our holiday destination of choice.  Anne has relatives there and we have been many times and visited Ivor’s museum.  Lovely place.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.

Well, I guess next trip to England we will have to visit it too, then!

At the rate things go now, I reckon by 2099 😆

3 hours ago, bootneck said:

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, see above, photos posted!

• Like 1

My Mum’s Manx and I’ve visited the Island many times - I love the place and when all this COVID craziness is over I want to get back there. Not as easy to visit from the other side of the world as it was growing up in Manchester! My Aussie wife and kids love the place too (Mrs Z even, completely unprompted by me, recently said she wants to retire there!). I could go on and on - Melbourne is a great place to live but being able to get to the IoM easily is one thing I do miss. So Moa I think you should plan a trip!

This reminds me I need to get back to my plan to build a Manx Dakota. Ivor has been very helpful with a couple of other Manx builds and has shared the photo of the logo with me before, I really should get on with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

Don't come just yet, guys. Our borders are closed and we haven't had a case for over 100 days. We are living in a bubble of normality here. 

When you do come the museum kettle is always on!

Very pleased to hear the Island is doing ok. Sadly there's no danger of me visiting for a while. We're on lockdown with a second wave, can't travel outside a 5km radius of the house let alone outside the country. There's talk of opening state borders by Christmas but nobody seems to be even thinking about when international travel might be allowed again. Before all of this we'd have been planning a trip for the next northern hemisphere summer, but there's not much point thinking about it at the moment. 

But once things are back to some kind of normal we'll be on our way. And I'll definitely visit the museum next time. We had a fantastic week in the IoM last time we were in the UK - it was the brilliant summer of 2018 - and my daughter regularly asks when we're going back. She fell in love with Peel beach, although I think Davison's had something to do with that!

• Like 1

Hi Ivor

Is the museum currently open ?

Here in Guernsey we've been Covid-free for 128 days, and like you, life is virtually as normal other than that our Bailiwick is effectively closed to outside travellers other than from your part of the world.

As you know, we have an unrestricted travel corridor direct between Guernsey and Isle of Man operated by our Embraer 195 and various new ATRs (new route for them all) - no restrictions, no face masks etc.  Even the various sports teams are now travelling between our islands on a regular basis - there's the return footie match shortly, too !

I think the two island communities have enjoyed the unrestricted travel arrangements over the past month or so, and the respective insular welcomes.

I've yet to visit you, and the museum, but may do so shortly. The only Manx aircraft I've flown on was a Viscount about 35 years ago, operating a Guernsey-Jersey-Birmingham-East Midlands schedule on behalf of BMA.

Stay safe !

Donald

PS This a great thread - great to see the de Havilland images (de Havilland being a traditional Guernsey family name, of course)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ivor Ramsden said:

When you do come the museum kettle is always on!

Ivor, does that go for the rest of us?  My wife wants to visit next year if it becomes safe to do so, and I would like to take the opportunity to visit the museum.  I have a keen interest in naval air stations, past and present, having been based at Culdrose and Yeovilton, plus stays at Lossiemouth and Arbroath during my career; therefore Ronaldsway would be good to see and learn about.  Nowadays, I like to do small civilian aircraft, hence the research into Manx aircraft.

Moa, I do have a 1:72 scale version as well, so I shall be following just behind you!

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

Ivor, does that go for the rest of us? 

cheers,

Mike

It sure does! And biccies for all Britmodeller forumites, provided that you let me know you're coming.

4 hours ago, aircraftkit said:

Is the museum currently open ?

Yes, but only Thursday to Sunday because the visitor numbers don't really justify opening daily. We've had a lot of Guernsey people in the museum in the last few weeks and they've all been very complimentary about it and the Isle of Man in general.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bootneck said:

Moa, I do have a 1:72 scale version as well, so I shall be following just behind you!

That's great Mike

I pulled my box out of the garage, only to discover that I have used it for a few spares for my previous builds.

I just ordered another one.

There are some things that can be done to improve the Heller kit.

While my box arrives, you may like to have a look at the previous builds I posted that detail some of those mods, if you feel inclined.

Once you get to these "build completed" threads, there is always a link to the step-by-step construction ones.

Some tips may be useful, or you could just leave it in peace and go for an honest straightforward build.

It's up to the builder, and any road is good:

Cheers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hi Moa,

if you can find the time to take photo's of your builds and post them on BM for us, then I can surely find the time to read and learn from them.

Thanks,

Mike

• Like 1

I think we have the best part of a Manx Group Build here. 

I was thinking Lands End /Isles of Scilly for a Rapide, but now I'm not so sure! 

That 3 legged emblem is pretty ancient and carries quite a bit of history, Moa. See what we can find. 

I did a cycling tour of the island when I was a lad. There are 3 Youth Hostels and I went round them all, covered the whole island. That's going back a bit!! 🚲

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I think we have the best part of a Manx Group Build here. 

There's plenty of scope. There are very few British aircraft types, both military and civil, which haven't been seen here at some time. The range extends from a Bleriot in 1911 to A320s, plus the occasional charter. With a bit of imagination it could even extend to the B-29; there's a Boeing Washington on the seabed somewhere nearby.

• Like 1

One more intrusion into your thread, Moa.  The young lady in the middle is my wife.  All grown up now.  Not sure about the airplane.  I’ve yet to look it up.  

resized_2af90d14-b8b4-472e-b8de-12b9d312

Dennis

• Like 3

Hi Dennis,

G-AIFM was a Bristol 170 Mk.21 Freighter of Silver City Airways.  Do you know where and when the photo was taken?  My info says it was either between Dec 1951 and Mar 1954 or between Oct 1957 and Feb 1965 and I am presuming the latter?

Kits this aircraft are available in 1:72 and 1:144 scale.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 1