Naive question possibly?

ForestFan

Hi all, this may be a naive question but do people sell ready done ‘files’ so one can simply load them in and print? For example would I be able to purchase a file for a Martin Baker Mk10 ejection Seat (say) in 1/48? Please excuse if this is a silly question....

I compiled, with help of others on this forum a list of sites where you can find lot’s of ready designs.

Have a look here.

Many free designs but also paid designs.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I did a Martin Baker Mk3 the other week. It didn't take that long:

MB3

I might get round to the 10, in which case I'll let you know!

I would say though, an ejection seat is a relatively easy project if you want to have a go yourself. Once you get the hang of the basic tools - all you would need for this - you can knock something like this up in a few hours. And the best thing is, if you have the original CAD file, you can scale it up and down to your hearts content, so if it is slightly too big, just try again at 95% size. I use Onshape, which is free to use. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 5:00 PM, Bangseat said:

Funny, I did a Martin Baker Mk3 the other week. It didn't take that long:

MB3

I might get round to the 10, in which case I'll let you know!

I would say though, an ejection seat is a relatively easy project if you want to have a go yourself. Once you get the hang of the basic tools - all you would need for this - you can knock something like this up in a few hours. And the best thing is, if you have the original CAD file, you can scale it up and down to your hearts content, so if it is slightly too big, just try again at 95% size. I use Onshape, which is free to use. 

Looks good. I understand what you say but I think you over estimate my capabilities lol!

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 6:58 AM, ForestFan said:

Hi all, this may be a naive question but do people sell ready done ‘files’ so one can simply load them in and print? For example would I be able to purchase a file for a Martin Baker Mk10 ejection Seat (say) in 1/48? Please excuse if this is a silly question....

Not a silly question, after all, that's what all various forums all over the Internet is there for. If anyone abuse you online for what they think is a naïve question, you have the right to report them to the website's owners.

In answer to your question...

Yes, but not always for sale.

Some people would create a 3D file and upload it to the Internet for others (like you) to download and print. Most would just give the files away for free, to share with others, and most would charge you a cost for using the file.

My advice is...

First, try to find and download files for free, if there is any available. Just make sure you double-check for virus and the likes, so use your (whatever you got) anti-virus and Internet Security software to check first, before opening and printing.

Secondary: If none are available for free, or if the free ones are not up to standard (or maybe wrong model, like a Mk5 instead of a Mk10), then opt for purchasing a file.

Yes, you could get hold of a 3D file of a Martin Baker Mk10 ejection seat (assuming if there is one somewhere), for you to load and print. But try to see if there's one available freely, because sometimes there are some files around that are free for use. Buying a file should be a last option.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

I actually disagree with that - you find the best file for your purposes and if it happens to be a paid file you pay for it.

3d files still take a lot of work to create, so for the quality that we are looking for with modelling it is more than reasonable to pay for a good quality rendition (like @Bangseat's above).