1/72 Lockheed RT-33, Project Field Goal.

Creepy Pete

Hi all,

My first build for this GB will be the 1/72 Sword RT-33 in USAF markings. The USAF got one of these from the Philippine Air Force in 1961, to use over Laos to help provide the Laotian government with intel on the Pathet Lao and the Viet Minh in northern Laos and along the border with North Vietnam. Naturally, this whole project was a bit hush hush, but there's some info in the book "Tactical Reconnaisance in the Cold War" by Doug Gordon. A link to the pages about this subject here.

As mentioned, I am using the Sword kit which comes with everything you need, including the decals.

9eFBeeU.jpg

Everything is nicely packed in bags, with some PE, which you don't really need much of for this version, some resin like the seat and the wheelbays, and decals for a bright orange and yellow/black Italian jet, a French and Dutch one in NMF, and the one I will be doing.

a16blLM.jpg

The kit is like a typical limited run kit, and I've seen worse. Detail is decent, and the fit doesn't look to be too bad. I've sprayed the interior bits with some Gunze dark interior green and started painting the details in the cockpit. The rear seat was removed from the RT-33, and some electronics were installed instead.

XKpRZO5.jpg

kQi16C4.jpg

The kit comes as a standard T-33, so in order to turn it into a recce bird, you have to cut of the nose along a panel line, and glue the new clear nose parts in place. I'll probably add some reinforcement on the inside though.

C8MQa8C.jpg

That's it for now. I'll have some more work done tomorrow.

• Like 10

welcome along Pete and what a great and really different choice.

I am sure I've seen photos of this aircraft somewhere in my collection.....will be great to see her in this scheme.

Good luck with this build, it is one of those I must follow.

On 9/4/2020 at 4:54 AM, SoftScience said:

And is half the landing gear bays metal and half painted?

Nope, it's just the reflection of the desk light. It's all green.

On 9/4/2020 at 11:40 AM, trickyrich said:

I am sure I've seen photos of this aircraft somewhere in my collection.

There aren't too many pics of these, but here's one:

D9MAzCQ.jpg

I glued all the interior bits in place, feeling optimistic about the fit. But of course it wouldn't. So some serious sanding and grinding was needed. Parts coming loose, paint being sanded away again, etc. It wasn't pretty. :unsure:

gPeogIU.jpg

But in the end I got everything together, sort off.

eetEWKM.jpg

Still a lot of cleaning up, and the nose has yet to be fitted, but it's starting to look like a T-bird.:)

NPXBNqh.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've made some good progress over the last few days. The model has been primered, glossed, and painted with Vallejo aluminium, some Humbrol olive drab on front of the windscreen, and some grey and black here and there. Next up will be some red on the leading edges of the inner wings, and it's decaling time after that. I've also decided to order some resin wheels for it, as the kit ones are pretty bad.

rNZ55o4.jpg

• Like 4

considering some of those joins and having to graft on a new nose, your prep work was great judging by that lovely metallic finish. Well done! :thumbsup:

The the colour the decals will add,  she'll look awesome, keep up the great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my ResKit wheels finally arrived earlier this week from Hannants. PostNL was so kind to deliver the parcel at the right address, but in the wrong city. :doh: Luckily my aunt lives in that city and she was kind enough to pick it up for me.

The wheels are a great improvement over the kit ones, as you can see. I will put these on the legs tonight, and then it's just a few more steps to do before it's finished.

twteJyj.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

they are an improvement.

I think AusPost must be related too! We now only get deliveries (if we're lucky) every second day, sending letters is frighteningly expensive and slow....but they're still very happy to give their top Exec's $20K watches as gifts! 

• Haha 2

A classic oops moment. I wanted to retouch the trailing edges of the wings as the final thing, when the Vallejo bottle slipped out of my hand and landed on the model. Amazingly only the nose snapped off along the seam, a nosegear door and the landing lights came off.

qZLiM6d.jpg

Apart from the lights, which I can't find anymore, it was an easy fix, with a slight seam now visible, along with a seam on the left intake that cracked open. Not my best model, but overall it looks decent, I guess. More pics in the gallery.

numjYiQ.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

oh what a shame about the nose!!

You managed to recover it almost perfectly, that wee seem on the intake is hardly noticeable and really doesn't take away from a really nicely build model.

It's a great scheme and as i mentioned early i really love it, you've done a great job with the NMF finish.

As Craig mentioned, it great to see an unusual aircraft in the build, one most would never had thought of...so well done there are well.

I do hope you enjoyed the build, was a great build to follow. :thumbsup:

• Like 1