Royal Mail Ship (RMS) Titanic (MOE-001)

Mike

Royal Mail Ship (RMS) Titanic (MOE-001)

Meng via Creative Models Ltd

boxtop.jpg

There can’t be many people on this blue marble of ours that haven’t heard of the tragedy that befell the RMS Titanic on its maiden voyage where a combination of bad luck, bad design and poor decisions led to the ship sinking and the loss of over 1,500 lives, mostly from the lower class cabins, due to the well-documented failure to fully utilise even the inadequate lifeboats the ship was carrying.  Over a hundred years later it is still oft discussed, and there have been many films on the subject, most notably James Cameron’s eponymous Titanic, the research and his obsession partly responsible for finding the location of the wreck deep in the ocean over 12,000ft down at a pressure of 450bar, which are some astonishing numbers in themselves.

The Kit

In this super-sensitive era this kit could seem a little incautious, but taken alone and as part of their cartoon range, it has an appeal, and as someone that would like a full-sized Titanic model but doesn’t have the time or room for one, this might be an acceptably simple solution.  It’s a new tool from Meng, and fits into their cartoon line, with their new MOE branding in the corner, which led me to wonder why?  Apparently, Moe in Japanese means cute in popular culture, and the Chinese version of this is Meng.  Coincidence?  I don’t know.  Kawaii desu ne?  The kit is a snap-together model, and has pre-coloured parts with much of the external detail of the real Titanic, while having the (don’t say egg, don’t say egg…) shape of a cartoon, which we understand to have been designed in collaboration with Mr. Liu Naizhong.  The kit arrives in a chubby top-opening box, and inside are six sprues and three separate parts in anti-foul red, black, off-white and yellow, as is appropriate for the parts and their location.  There is also a tiny sticker sheet and a suitably minuscule instruction booklet in full colour with 3D isometric drawings for each step.

sprue3.jpg

sprue2.jpg

sprue1.jpg

Construction begins with adding a pair of inserts for the port and starboard propshafts, then the screws, including the central one behind the single rudder that gave insufficient steering authority to properly avoid the iceberg.  Then the hull is pressed together from four layers, red, black and white, with the deck pressing inside the top part.  A pair of anchors are hung on the bow (I almost said “front”), and the superstructure is pressed together with three layers, then decked out with four runs of three lifeboats and two extras at the front of the superstructure, before having the bridge pressed into the front so that the completed assembly can be joined to the hull.  The four funnels are moulded in yellow with nicely detailed black inserts in the top, and these are pushed into holes in the top deck four inline.  The front and rear masts are in the same colour, and there is a little white crane on the bow, with a spoiler (I’m kidding) at the stern.

Markings

If you aren’t painting the model, you might still consider adding a red stripe to represent the boot-topping, which could be made from red decal strip for ease.  The sticker sheet has two white Titanic name plates for each side of the bow, plus a larger golden one for the stern that is positioned centrally.  They have a thin clear backing, so there won’t be any annoying edges to cover.

stickers.jpg

Conclusion

I quite like it, but you decide for yourself.  It’s nicely detailed, simple to make and I wish it came with a stand.  A fun project to share with a child, with an opportunity to also share the history of the ship with them, and tell them how hard-won the lessons it taught maritime designers really were.

Recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 2

You can actually get a set of figures (from some obscure film) for this from Tori Factory

FS-07.jpg

And, bizarrely, it's not the only cartoon Titanic available. There's another coming from Suyata (with added seals!)

Suyata+RMS+Titanic+Q+Model+%25281%2529.j

Andy:cat:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

You can actually get a set of figures (from some obscure film) for this from Tori Factory

I spotted those too :lol: Did you find the wooden deck parts you can get?  I found those on eBay from China, and they vary in price from £22 down to about a tenner.  I might have accidentally stumped up for a set of those to finish off the deck, which is otherwise white with a block panel pattern on it.  I think it'll bring the look of it up appreciably, but I draw the line at cartoon Rose & Jack ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Did you find the wooden deck parts you can get?

I hadn't seen those. Just had a look on ebay and found deck parts for both the Meng and Suyata kits. I may well have to pick up one of the kits now along with the deck.

The Suyata version is also available with a port scene, although I've no idea where it's supposed to be. I want a model of the multi-deck pagoda bus though😀

109130385_113240393792175_11143653841907

16 minutes ago, Andy Moore said:

The Suyata version is also available with a port scene, although I've no idea where it's supposed to be. I want a model of the multi-deck pagoda bus though😀

I want a model of that airship!