Italeri 1:72 Bell OH-13S Sioux

klr

My first contribution to this GB, hopefully not my last. I always associate the Sioux with Korea, haven grown up watching M*A*S*H, but it also served in the early part of the Vietnam war.

This Italeri kit from the late 1990s depicts three Vietnam-based US Army gunships from the mid-1960s, with a choice of fuel tanks, gun installations (M60s or Brownings), and tail rotors, It's a reasonably complex kit, with about 80 parts in all:

DSC01193_dr_020.jpg

DSC01194_dr_020.jpg

DSC01192_dr_025.jpg

Work has already started, and quickly progressed to the point where I now need to decide on colours, and not just which shade of Olive Drab:

DSC01236_dre_025.jpg

The parts as illustrated in the instructions don't always match the real thing, but that hasn't really slowed me down.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

A classic helicopter, really glad you are building this one klr. Looks like most of the construction is done already, very fast work. 

I'd say the easy part is done. Much of what remains to be fitted looks fiddly, but we shall see.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Was the tail boom a single piece or did you have to glue in all those cross-bars?

Two pieces so far, one each side of the "V". There's another smaller piece to complete the top of the triangle, as it were.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

welcome along and gosh it's nice to see another chopper in the build!

I think this was the conflict that really showed what the chopper could bring to the new face of modern warfare.

An amazing simple aircraft...but what an iconic shape.

Great to see you're off to a flying start, good luck with the rest of the build.

• 1 month later...

It's been nearly two months ... yikes! No surprise that the 3 kits I'm stalled on are the ones with the most troublesome colour issues. Troublesome for me anyway. Like General McArthur, I Shall Return, but well before the GB deadline.

• Like 3