1/48 Westland Whirlwind Mk.I - Classic Airframes

On 9/3/2020 at 7:34 AM, neil5208 said:

Lovely Whirlwind, shame its development was curtailed by the Air Ministry.

Apparently there were engine development problems and they didn't have the engineering manpower available with all the their projects going on to fix it. It was a very impressive airplane with massive quad 20mm firepower. Lovely build.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Oliveira said:

Apparently there were engine development problems and they didn't have the engineering manpower available with all the their projects going on to fix it. It was a very impressive airplane with massive quad 20mm firepower. Lovely build.

Yes, they wanted Rolls Royce to concentrate on the development of the more powerful Merlin engine destined for Spitfires and Hurricane.

Excellent work on what is an awkward kit. I built three of these together for a customer & I found them nightmare plastic to put together. Also the shape of those radiator intakes really bugged me so much that I really had to correct them. Something that the Trumpeter kit hadn't rectified. 

Superb work!

Martin

Now that's a beautiful Whirlwind. It's too bad they never developed the engine further, It would have been interesting to see how the Whirlwind would have fared.

Cheers,

Bill

Seems I missed this the first time round.  A superb model with some top-notch paintwork and weathering.  The Whirlwind looks so ahead of its time, especially when represented by a model of this quality.  One can't help but wonder how the type would have faired had it been designed around the Merlin.