Modern French chamois color

Pete57

Is the chamois color used in some of the interior areas of post-WW II French aircraft, like the Fouga Magister, the Atlatique, the Alizee, etc, the same as the WW II color by the same name?

And, is it a primer or is it sprayed over some kind of primer?

TIA

Hello Pete,

I can't tell whether or not the paint is called the same as it was during WWII.

Correct colour is NCS S1020-Y30R (NCS means the Swedish Natural Colour System; an excellent tool for a modeller). Closest RAL is 1001 and closest FS is 33613. The actual colour is slightly darker and more reddish than FS 33613.

At least in Fouga Magisters it is sprayed on bare metal, so it can be a primer. The paint chips easily away.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Antti

On 9/4/2020 at 3:39 PM, Antti_K said:
On 9/3/2020 at 4:48 PM, Pete57 said:

Is the chamois color used in some of the interior areas of post-WW II French aircraft, like the Fouga Magister, the Atlatique, the Alizee, etc, the same as the WW II color by the same name?

And, is it a primer or is it sprayed over some kind of primer?

Correct colour is NCS S1020-Y30R (NCS means the Swedish Natural Colour System; an excellent tool for a modeller). Closest RAL is 1001 and closest FS is 33613. The actual colour is slightly darker and more reddish than FS 33613.

Hi, gentlemens!

Are you's talking about this color:

web.jpg

???

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark

27 minutes ago, Antti_K said:

It is possible Serge, that we are. The colour looks too pale in the photo. Can you give more details, please?

Antti, I puzzle myself over what it is colour!  This is not an idle interest, because on photo Mirage III-V 01 intake:

B.w.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:39 PM, Antti_K said:

Correct colour is NCS S1020-Y30R (NCS means the Swedish Natural Colour System; an excellent tool for a modeller). Closest RAL is 1001

B.w. how about 

FS 33531 as equivalent RAL 1001?

I have Revell SM 314 enamel as equivalent RAL 1001,

Testors 1709 as equivalent FS 33613 and GS Mr.Colour C313 as equivalent FS 33531, but I don't maked chips  of these colors for comparison.

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

In Modelsvit instructions? Humbrol 71 , but I just don't have that paint.

Edited by Aardvark
  • Like 1

Hello Serge,

you clearly have more information about the paint equivalents than I do. I would start with Hu 121 and then add some red and yellow into that. Humbrol 7 is another possible starting point.

Here is a paint chip taken from a French built Fouga Magister (inside Starboard wing). I took the photo with my mobile phone just to show the difference between the actual paint and the closest equivalent. As you can see RAL 1001 is not a match. Note also that colours in my photo are distorted thanks to the afternoon Sun.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

1939-1952, chamois paint exist in M.2.5.i.f. category(french standard)
M : for metal (steel, al alloy, magnesium)
2 : for interior surfaces non exposed to corrosion agents except cockpit & instrument panel)
5 : oleo synthetic
i : impression (primer)
f : finition (finishing)

chamois seen on D520 wreckage, the background is grayscale 18%
spacer.png

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 2

Hi, Antti!

On 9/6/2020 at 5:27 PM, Antti_K said:

you clearly have more information about the paint equivalents than I do.

I just used this program:

on my mobile for search equivalent!

With your permission, we will bring everything together for ease of perception!

04ed461d-f726-4007-b703-8e6c35c773cc.jpg

chamoi10.jpg

web.jpg

Now what I have found from my model paints:

20200907-165128.jpg

20200907-165519.jpg

20200907-165536.jpg

20200907-165603.jpg

Testors 1706 it's close equivalent Humbrol 121:

On 9/6/2020 at 5:27 PM, Antti_K said:

I would start with Hu 121 and then add some red and yellow into that. Humbrol 7 is another possible starting point.

For full compared my need maked chips with Revell 316 and 

GS Mr.Colour C313.

But maybe there will be any opinions based on these data?

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1

I use acrylics only.

Lifecolor's UA 144 / FS *33448, labelled French Sandgrey / Camoscio Francese / Chamois Francais / Sand appears, to my Mk1 eyeball, to be reasonably close to the actual color.

Regards.

Pete

• Like 1

Hello guys,

it looks like that the colour of my sample from a Fouga Magister and in the photo of a Mirage fighter Serge posted look the same. The sample from a Dewoitine fighter looks more "yellowish" and therefore more like chamois; my sample is more like biscuit coloured.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

Hello!

Pete. Finnish AF Fougas were natural metal (Alclad). I've heard scratches were mangled out with steel roll, manual work usually for the junior ground crew. When I was in my conscript service Fougas were flying their last season and no such work was performed.

Cheers,

Kari

• Like 1

Hello guys,

at least few Fouga Magisters received an aluminium coloured paint in Finland. Air Force HQ ordered the paint to be removed and the surface to be polished. Pilot's were against this decision because the painted surface was smoother in the long run than NMF.

Cheers,

Antti