H Builds, RAFG Tornado FAIL.

Hockeyboy76

Just a placeholder while I finish a few other builds. 

This will be the Revell 1/72 Tonka with an extra bit of resin. Built as a 17Sqn bird from RAF Bruggen. 

A personal connection for me, although never being based there I knew the camp well, visited often from The Netherlands and was involved in the drawdown at the end, moving the Sqns back to the UK. 

Photos to follow. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Subscribed.  I believe the Airwaves wing set was originally by DB Productions, and designed for Hasegawa's kit (the Revell tooling did not yet exist). Will be interested to see how they match up as I have the same resin in my stash.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great job on the pit H. The resin wings are a nice addition and make quite a difference. I used a set on a build for a friend, when I got back into the hobby many years ago, and was impressed with the result.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

now to tidy the resin wings, it can’t be as difficult as @trickyrich makes out :whistle:

haha....famous last words! :D

They do look quite nice. I don't know the flap system on the Tornado, but are they separated from the main wing when extended or still stay snug against the wing? With cleaning up, the slats looks like they might be the fragile bit. Oh and don't forget to give them a good wash first in warm water with some bleach added.

That cockpit is lovely, especially as it's 1/72nd!! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little progress on this yesterday

994A1650-798F-4EF6-ADB6-EF8BD8F359EB

wing gloves fitted and you can see tape behind them. I have a plan as the wings will be fully forward. 

Also fitted a piece of scrap plastic behind the vent to give it depth and not a great big hole. 

3FAC71D6-882C-4223-B1ED-B8ECFC7DD717 B8DA1231-2D03-479A-AE5A-43C21883179A

Wing glove fitted and filled with putty which will be scribed once dry. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

Looking fantastic buddy. I hope that all of you are coping with the Firebreak Lockdown, it can't easy especially with the naff weather.

Carry on as usual good buddy, typical Welsh weather. Little H is on half term, Mrs H is working, I’m OC Domestic chores, speaking of which, I should be putting clean sheets on the bed instead of painting the Tornado. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I’m OC Domestic chores, speaking of which, I should be putting clean sheets on the bed instead of painting the Tornado. 

:rofl2: This set me off chuckling. I have just finished reading David Herriot's book ' ADVENTURES OF A COLD WAR FAST-JET NAVIGATOR  - THE BUCCANEER YEARS' and had to get my head around 'RAF SPEAK'. That's not what made me laugh though, your OC Domestic comment brought back to mind the 12 Sqn zap incident when they where detached at RAF Lossiemouth.  Apparently there were that many  Foxes Head zaps around the base that a message was left on the lectern in the entrance to the Officers Mess which read

'TO ALL OFFICERS IN CHARGE OF AIRMEN DETACHED TO

ROYAL AIR FORCE STATION LOSSIEMOUTH

All officers in charge of airmen on detachment at RAF Lossiemouth are are to make

sure that squadron Zaps are not to be placed on buildings and signs around the

station.

signed

OC Police Flt '

Needless to say the notice was zapped and several more notices relating to the zapping of notices regarding the placing of Zaps followed. By now OC Police Flt was getting miffed about people fiddling with his notices and the final act led to one of the party involved removing the lectern and leaving it in a toilet cubicle. The OC Police Flt arrived in the mess that evening to find in its place, a piece of paper hanging from a heating pipe which read

'Would the officer who has removed the lectern that held the notice about the

zapping of notices that referred to the placing of Zaps on buildings and signs at

RAF Lossiemouth report to OC Police Flt immediately.

signed

OC Police Flt'

He never discovered who had been winding him up

• Haha 2

Never leave base without overnight bag and plenty of zaps. Some of the aircraft at some RAF museums definitely are, may well have been, which I cannot confirm or deny, been zapped, either during transport or reassembly. 

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/zaps/

Your looking for 8th picture down, :wicked::whistle: Duck on a truck

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
  • Hockeyboy76 changed the title to H Builds, RAFG Tornado FAIL.

No such thing as a fail. Only future short build opportunities.

Shame we wont see it in the gallery but thanks for the input over the last few months.

Colin

• Thanks 1