Maverick's F-14A Tomcat (03865) 1:48 Revell

Julien

Maverick's F-14A Tomcat (03865)

1:48 Revell

spacer.png

The Tomcat was a much-loved and capable aircraft that had a unique look, and was brought fully into the mainstream media by the original "Top Gun" in the 1980s. It has its origins in the late 50s and a need in the 60s for a replacement to the (also much loved) Phantoms with something more agile and adaptable. After much faffing about (does all defence procurement do this?), a Grumman proposal was picked for development and to avoid any further flip-flopping by the then US Defence Secretary, building of a prototype was ditched in favour of development airframes. Only four years after first flight, the F-14A Tomcat went on its first deployment in 1974, serving with the US Navy until it was retired in 2006, accompanied by much gnashing of teeth and name-calling of its replacement, the F-18, which took some time to abate.

The F-14A was the first model, and because of a change of heart by the powers that be, which resulted in the Marines leaving the list of potential operators, it did not have the air-to-ground capabilities it was originally scheduled to possess. Instead it with a pure interceptor/fleet protection aircraft, armed with AIM-54 Phoenix for Beyond Visual Range (BVR) engagements for up to 100 miles in perfect conditions. It was also capable of carrying AIM-7 Sparrow and AIM-9 Sidewinder for self-defence and closer intercepts. Later in service, the ground attack capability was added to upgraded A variants, Bs and of course the later D that was dubbed the "Super Tomcat" because of its vastly improved capabilities. 

The Kit

Now in a tie in with Paramount Pictures and the new Top Gun Film, Revell are re-issuing kits from their back catalog. Despite the optimistic date of 1993 on the sprues, it would seem this was when it was re-issued back then by Revell, and the kit is the original 1978 tooling from Monogram. While this is not Monograms worst kit of the time, it is not one of its best either. The best thing to say is that its a product of its time. In addition to the original kit parts there is a sprue with what looks to D model engine exhausts,  and a small black sprue with chin camera pod on it. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Construction starts with the cockpit. Here there are separate seats unlike some monogram kits of the period. Each seat is 4 parts with separate ejection seat handles. There are decals supplied for the instrument panels and side consoles. Once the instrument panels and seats are in the complete cockpit goes into the upper fuselage.  While you get a 1/48 Mav for the front cockpit Goose must still be in the bar. Next on the underside fuselage engine faces are added followed by the intake trunks.  The wings (which do move) are fitted into the lower fuselage and the top half is joined. 

spacer.png

To the now complete fuselage the nose cone is added along with the gun vent on the left hand side. Underneath the front gear leg is fitted along with the doors to the front gear well. At the rear the three part exhausts go in, and the arrestor hook goes between them.  Four Phoenix missiles are provided along with two weapons pallets for the underside if you wish t fit them.  Next up back on top the vertical stabilisers go on.  Flipping the model back over (again) the main gear and their doors are fitted.  The underwing weapons pylons have the Sparrow missiles moulded in so leaving them off would involve some surgery and scratch building. The side pylon for the sidewinder, and the sidewinders are separate parts.  To finish up the canopy and under nose camera pod are fitted.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Decals

The decal sheet from Zanetti in Italy (so no issues there) provides the one option to do the Aircraft from the film, so no surprises there. 

spacer.png

Conclusion

If you really want a model from the film then this will do the job. 

bin.jpg

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo.jpg t_logo-a.png or facebook.gif

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mungo1974 said:

What is up with those funky US insignia 🙄😑

I would say its how they did them in the film, must have been CGI for any Tomcat scenes.  The F/A-18 is the same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Like the Airfix 1/72 re-release for the movie, why? Probably because it was the cheapest. We don't need kits like this on the shelves anymore. For nostalgia fans it's easy enough to get hold off without them being rereleased every few years.

Edited by sroubos

• 1 year later...

Historical model, otherwise vintage. It is a set for modelers who like challenges and have extensive experience. I am currently working on the original Monogram set, but in my collection I have three more sets already produced by Revell. Age model, but not a bad kit to build a nice grade F-14A Tomcat plane. As for the 1980s, the model has a pretty nice detail.

Otwórz w Tłumaczu Google•

Prześlij opinię

Tłumacz Google

Sure, the molds have a lot of mileage on them, resulting in softer molding than originally.  Still, very accurate in most areas, very good panel lines (if raised), excellent cockpit for a kit offering, though again, a product of the time.  Competently built and painted, it still looks the part.  Just takes more effort... and full set of sanding tools!

I'd rather have had the markings from the new movie and not the original movie's scheme (if that is what it is...?) just for the fun of it. A 'stashed' Tomcat in a hostile nation's airbase? Riiight!

I'm fettling a previous but still not initial molding and it is providing a *lot* of modelling action!  The worst feature is likely the Phoenix missiles which have very thick control/flight surfaces and minimal detailing.  I'm experimenting on how to create a well detailed, accurate master for casting some replacements, which I can leverage into the builds of all the other copies in my stash, including a couple of original issues.

Y'all be good, cheers!

R/ Robert