A question regarding paint schemes for British Shermans

McNab

Hi everyone. As you may know, I normally restrict my model building to WWI. But, with a sense of nostalgia, I am tackling a Sherman M4A1 which was the tank my  late father served in. He was in the Middle East, trailing around northern Iraq (due to some wobbly intel that panzers were reported to be mustering for a flanking attack.. which proved wrong) and then into Egypt. From that area, they were transported to Italy. He was in 2RTR which I believe was part of the 7th armoured division ( feel free to correct me if I’m wrong!) where he and his crew got through the Gothic Line, only to drop a track in a ditch and then be subsequently attacked (one shot, which missed) by three Tigers. They were captured, and spent a pleasant afternoon chatting with the German crews (Wehrmacht, not the nasty ones) swapping cigs and family photos, sharing rations etc etc whilst they waited to be picked up by truck to take them to the holding camp. From there, he was taken to Stalag 11A until liberation. (I knew he had been a POW, but not where!  a fact I only found out last week whilst trying to answer my own question!)

so. Excuse the waffling, but it may help you answer my questions. I would like to build two versions of Dad’s tank. Mid East and Italy. Any idea on colour schemes, markings, etc? 

thanks a lot and bless you for taking the time to read this.

cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

Italy: You really have one of three options for this.  1) An ex-8th Army Sherman repainted for operations in Italy would be a basic colour of Light Mud with Blue-black disruptive pattern which was specific to Shermans under the relevant 1943 MEGO.   2) A newly issued Sherman in Italy which had the Light Mud applied over the original US Olive Drab No.9 to comply with the specific pattern in which the Olive Dab becomes the darker colour.  3)  A late 1943 -44 issue which remained in the US Olive Drab No.9 overall.

Middle East:  You don't state a date but the original issued Shermans in Egypt were repainted at Tel-El-Kibir with either Light Stone No.61 or the new Desert Pink as basic colour.  Over this was disruptive pattern of Dark Olive Green or black to a specific pattern issued in 1942.  Note two different patterns which modellers often get mixed up as do caption writers too.   You can mail me at mikestarmer18 at gmail dot com for the patterns and further information.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wow Mike thank you so so much for your input. I have been searching for info for some weeks and felt like a dog chasing it’s tail... I will mail you. Thanks again for your very kind reply. I will mail you tout suite. 

cheers

Andrew