"Must have" metallic shades - AK Extreme

lewis25049

I am looking at getting a small number of metallic colours for aircraft modelling in the AK Extreme range, 4 or 5 at the most. These will be used on a range of builds, from WWII to modern jets.

What would be considered the "must have" colours to cover the widest range of applications? i.e. aircraft skins, exhausts, etc?

Having never used these paints (or similar metallic products e.g. Alclad II), any other tips and tricks would also be appreciated!

Hi Lewis

Id go for aluminium, polished aluminium, dark aluminium and gun metal.

There’s also a darker shade which I can’t remember the name of which is pretty handy to have. I’ll have a look tonight. 

Do some searching around as some of the shades are very similar to each other. 

Don’t  bother with the AK black base. Just use Tamiya x-1 gloss black. Spray thin coats as always to build up the layers. They’re really nice to use. 

HTH

James

One tip - you can mix the AK metallics. 

I use aluminium, polished aluminium, flat aluminium (not everything is shiny!) white aluminium and dark aluminium. By mixing you end up with an infinite variety of sheens and shades. I also have duraluminium as it adds some tonal variation. IMHO if you want to replicate variations in panels, mixing is the way to go - I find the contrast between, say, aluminium and dark aluminium is too strong and can lead to the model looking like a patchwork quilt.

For steel and gunmetal (both useful) I'm still using humbrol metalcote ... because it can be applied by brush on detail areas. AK cannot be brushed. Metalcote can be brushed out of the tin and thinned for spraying - but with not nearly as good a finish as AK

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Lewis

Id go for aluminium, polished aluminium, dark aluminium and gun metal.

There’s also a darker shade which I can’t remember the name of which is pretty handy to have. I’ll have a look tonight. 

Do some searching around as some of the shades are very similar to each other. 

Don’t  bother with the AK black base. Just use Tamiya x-1 gloss black. Spray thin coats as always to build up the layers. They’re really nice to use. 

HTH

James