Airfix 1/72 Concorde

I have one of these to renovate and complete. I have question. There is a large rectangular shape on the upper port fuselage. I assume it’s an aerial of some sort? My question is whether this rectangular thing is to scale? It looks very chinky for an otherwise very clean airframe. I’d appreciate some help here please!

Thank you

Simon

Nothing in this kit is to scale. This rectangular thing is much lesser problem that visor, front wheel wells, cabin windows, belly, ,main wheel wells, tail wheel well, engine nacelles, wing fairings etc. etc. etc.  

Ah well, never mind but I want to finish it, no matter how imperfect it may be!! I have a couple of references and will also have a look on the interweb for top side shots but, as it stands the 'canoe' on the roof is coming off! 

Hello Simon,

I built this kit some years ago (and then binned it). As Alexey said, the kit is very inaccurate. Those two fairings on top of the fuselage were both out of scale. Unfortunately I don't have my notes left.

Cheers,

Antti

9 hours ago, Simon Cornes said:

I have one of these to renovate and complete. I have question. There is a large rectangular shape on the upper port fuselage. I assume it’s an aerial of some sort? My question is whether this rectangular thing is to scale? It looks very chinky for an otherwise very clean airframe. I’d appreciate some help here please!

Thank you

Simon

If my memory serves me right, from back in the day looking after Concorde Avionics, this is the upper TCAS antennae.

1 minute ago, Simon Cornes said:

ADF sense and flux aerials it would seem. For a rubbish kit that looks lovely!!

I had no issues with it really - it does have inaccuracies and some flight deck parts need to be moved about, but to me, it looks like a Concorde, so I'm happy with it.

It does get nice comments from visitors, who wouldn't know about any of the inaccuracies.

• Like 2

That’s just it. Mine came to me part built with some joins that I think I can do better so I’ve broken it down to the major components and will reassemble it so at looks as decent as it can. I picked up resin wheels and some missing parts from Airfix a couple of years ago so that I can finish it. I’m not going to lose any sleep over inaccuracies but that aerial housing might just get reduced by 50% or so!!

12 minutes ago, Simon Cornes said:

That’s just it. Mine came to me part built with some joins that I think I can do better so I’ve broken it down to the major components and will reassemble it so at looks as decent as it can. I picked up resin wheels and some missing parts from Airfix a couple of years ago so that I can finish it. I’m not going to lose any sleep over inaccuracies but that aerial housing might just get reduced by 50% or so!!

I am surprised that with all the aftermarket parts, masks, and detail accessories available, no-one has produced replacement fairings.

Which livery is yours in?

3 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

Yes, at the end it looks like a Concorde, and there is no alternative in this scale.

My once in other markings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/13383226265

modelldoc

That's a beautfiul model.

How easy was the red stripe?

I have one more to build in the same Landor livery, but I am terrified of applying that red stripe...

20 minutes ago, neilg said:

I am surprised that with all the aftermarket parts, masks, and detail accessories available, no-one has produced replacement fairings.

Which livery is yours in?

Nothing at all at this point - a lot of matt white paint in fact. I’d rather remove it all but it might be doing me a favour in reality and I would want to fill some of the panel lines anyway. Not sure what markings to go for. Maybe even ‘whif’ BOAC ! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Speaking of Concordes, isn't it about time for e a new tooled kit in 1/144 and in 1/72?

I preordered the new Airfix 1:144 Concorde last year, but it's still showing as "expected Spring 2020" on the website.

It says "Vintage Classics" on the boxart, so I'm not sure if it's a new tool, or a re-release.  The other kits with new tools mark it as such on the website, but this one doesn't.

1 hour ago, neilg said:

I preordered the new Airfix 1:144 Concorde last year, but it's still showing as "expected Spring 2020" on the website.

It says "Vintage Classics" on the boxart, so I'm not sure if it's a new tool, or a re-release.  The other kits with new tools mark it as such on the website, but this one doesn't.

If you are talking about this one: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/concorde-prototype-boac-1.html it is the old pre prototype plane. Some people say it isn't correct even for a prototype but I didn't listen and built my as one: https://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/tiny/concorde.html. I have a second that I'll build as the French prototype.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Orso said:

If you are talking about this one: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/concorde-prototype-boac-1.html it is the old pre prototype plane. Some people say it isn't correct even for a prototype but I didn't listen and built my as one: https://baecklund.eu/scalemodels/tiny/concorde.html. I have a second that I'll build as the French prototype.

I was hoping Airfix had new tooling since they've had all this time to work on it since the last release.

I wonder who has the 1:72 tooling these days, now that Revell no longer makes Concorde in that scale.

1 hour ago, neilg said:

I was hoping Airfix had new tooling since they've had all this time to work on it since the last release.

I wonder who has the 1:72 tooling these days, now that Revell no longer makes Concorde in that scale.

It would make little sense doing a new mould of the prototype that was only built in two examples and never used in airline traffic. It would have been better to make the production plane if they were to make a new mould.

I think that I once read that the 1/72 kit was originally a Heller kit.

8 minutes ago, Orso said:

It would make little sense doing a new mould of the prototype that was only built in two examples and never used in airline traffic. It would have been better to make the production plane if they were to make a new mould.

I think that I once read that the 1/72 kit was originally a Heller kit.

Well, not a new mould, but an improved one for sure - I've made the prototype one before, and it didn't even have engine intake splitters. 

I think I've read something similar about the Heller kit too, but I was surprised when I bought the Revell boxing to discover the exact same kit as the Heller and Airfix boxings.

Even with the same tooling, I would have thought by now their engineering teams would have done slight improvements, such as using regular plastic for the nose/visor hinges instead of the brittle and easily snapped clear plastic.

1 hour ago, Nick Belbin said:

You looking for one?

I've got one built Revell version, one built Heller version, and one boxed Airfix version to be built in Landor livery.

I'm thinking of giving away the Heller one to a French friend (it's in Air France livery), because it's the only one that is wheels-up.

I want to build another Air France one with the landing gear down so it looks the same as the others.

10 hours ago, neilg said:

it's a very old kit, of the prototype. well it was made before the prototype I think so it's not fully accurate but it looks ok to the mk1 eyeball

On 9/3/2020 at 4:23 PM, modelldoc said:

Yes, at the end it looks like a Concorde, and there is no alternative in this scale.

My once in other markings:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/13383226265

modelldoc

That’s lovely! 
It’s too bad nobody does an aftermarket fix for the visor and nose. You can see here how much shorter the visor is in the real thing.

concorde-gall.gif