Aviano F-16s and friends, RAF Lakenheath, 02.09.20

jonf45

Morning,

Video from RAF Lakenheath yesterday with 11 of the visiting F-16s flying and a further 16 F-15s :)

Cheers

Jon

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Awesome! Typical I was there last month and only saw about six F-15s.

Lol!

The F-16s are there for a month if you want them :)

jon

Great pictures. I have not been up there since they were operating F-111's, but plan to return sometime soon. Regarding the spot those landings were taken. I can see a public viewing area just north of runway 24 threshold, but it seems like they were taken from a spot on the A1065, just east and slightly south of that threshold. Is it possible (and OK) to park there usually? That spot would seem better than the public area which looks as if it would be into sun most of the time?

Thanks

Terry

59 minutes ago, jonf45 said:

Lol!

The F-16s are there for a month if you want them :)

jon

Too far from Cheshire I'm afraid, already dragged the missus down that way on holiday last month, she wasn't too impressed with the Diss and Thetford area, she's more a luxury hotel kind of girl! 😂 I can only really manage the Heath once a year usually when we stay at my mum's in north Norfolk. Even then it's a bit of a trek. Wish the USAF had some bases up here!

18 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great pictures. I have not been up there since they were operating F-111's, but plan to return sometime soon. Regarding the spot those landings were taken. I can see a public viewing area just north of runway 24 threshold, but it seems like they were taken from a spot on the A1065, just east and slightly south of that threshold. Is it possible (and OK) to park there usually? That spot would seem better than the public area which looks as if it would be into sun most of the time?

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry,

yeah if you go to the forest entrance there's usually enough room for 10/12 cars quite comfortably on normal days, and when something decent's coming in then the roadside is used as there's enough room to get cars along there and still walk alongside.  From there you can go where you wish, along the fence for taxi/take -offs and if there's no animals in the  field on the other side then thats the best place to go in my opinion, loads of room and great views of landing aircraft. Thats where the landing shots were done from in this vid 👍

17 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Too far from Cheshire I'm afraid, already dragged the missus down that way on holiday last month, she wasn't too impressed with the Diss and Thetford area, she's more a luxury hotel kind of girl! 😂 I can only really manage the Heath once a year usually when we stay at my mum's in north Norfolk. Even then it's a bit of a trek. Wish the USAF had some bases up here!

Yeah, got to be careful how many holidays end up near airfields 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2020 at 3:58 PM, Terry1954 said:

Thanks

Terry

Absolutely correct, Terry. The public car park is a good idea but really not good for photography. You can easily walk along the fence to better spots, though. 

Like you I frequented LN in the F-4 and F-111 days and have only been back there twice since then, including this week. It used to be excellent for visitors, with many NATO aircraft using the far side pans for parking most mornings.

Martin

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 7:02 PM, geedubelyer said:

Hi Jon,

Thanks for sharing.

Would you know if there’s likely to be flying this week? I have a few days off and hope to fulfil a desire to visit Lakenheath but don’t want to rock up to see tumbleweed blowing past 😄

Sorry for late response. They are on nights this week so generally don't start til midday ish, but both f15s and f16s are operating