Spray paint booth

Tonka84

Hi, I'm currently living in a flat so my modelling has been winding down a lil after my last project due to a lack of space but I have a a couple of kits I'm desperate to get done so I'm looking at spray booths but having never used one I know next to nothing about what to look for or what to budget for one? Any info is welcome.

Many thanks 

• Like 1

Hey there,

The big thing you need is airflow. Lots of it, and an external window / opening to vent the fumes to. After that comes things like noise, size (and how much space you need to sacrifice to to the thing), extra lighting... Remember - you get what you pay for. 

I bought one of these: https://www.hobbytools.com.au/airbrush-spray-booth-led-lights-and-includes-exhaust-kit/ (You can probably get an identical one from a shop in the UK easily enough.)

It's a bit too noisy for me and takes up a lot of space on my work table, but does the job quite well. 

If you're going to be using lacquer paints, then get a good mask as well.

Cheers,

V

• Like 1

Yes I have one of these (or a clone) and it gets the job done at a fair price.

But here's the thing. I was recently looking to add another (they clip together) to make a bigger booth, and noticed that some sellers add a note "not for use with solvents".

As I understand it, unless the fans use a brushless motor there is the possibility of the vented solvent igniting. So I've been trying to establish what the risk really is (although I've been happily spraying IPA, thinners, cellulose for 2+years with no issues). It seems pretty complicated (I don't understand the science) and to do with densities and airflows. My reading so far is that with the volumes I'm dealing with from my airbrush, no need to worry. But I'd like to find more re-assurance before purchasing another. Otherwise I'll need to go the more expensive 'solvent safe' route or build my own.

Cheers

Colin

I use one of these, which is identical to the one linked to above but without the LED lighting and ducting (which can be bought separately). I use acrylics mostly. My booth is about 12 years old now, and has been fine apart from needing new filters. It folds down easily, which is good as I use it on the dining table with the back door open so it needs to be stored out of the way when not in use, in fact I used it just before typing this whilst my wife was in town. I don't find it overly noisy, certainly no worse than my compressor. If you're worried about solvents it might be worth e-mailing Expo and asking them directly.

• Like 1

I bought one of these for about £70 from amazon. Very pleased with the performance. I replaced the switch with a double one and with a bit of rewiring light and fan are controlled independently. In use, I use a puppy training pad in the bottom to keep it a bit cleaner. Hope this helps. 

Just checked and my fan has brushless on it   in large lettering. 

Edited by NigelD
Further info.

Cheers guys, that expo one looks the way forward. I have a big enough window to vent from but it's just a noise concern for neighbours below and at back. Missing having the garden and garage space for working out in when it comes to spraying ☹️

I have just recently started using my airbrush. I don't have a spray booth, but I do have this little folding fan with a builtin filter. As an extra, I bought a small, 3-speed fan to put in the window. I just open the sliding glass and turn the fan on full speed. Seems to work great. Of course, there'll be no using it in the winter, as it's too cold up here to be opening a basement window.

50302174438_1ef5be361e_b.jpg

50302174453_1e1a497525_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 03/09/2020 at 17:03, NigelD said:

I bought one of these for about £70 from amazon. Very pleased with the performance. I replaced the switch with a double one and with a bit of rewiring light and fan are controlled independently. In use, I use a puppy training pad in the bottom to keep it a bit cleaner. Hope this helps. 

Just checked and my fan has brushless on it   in large lettering. 

Any chance you could give me some hints on how you rewired jt? Using tbe lights for brush painting without waking the family would be very useful!

Bear with me as I try and remember.

You will need a double switch which fits in the same hole as the current single switch. This is an industry standard size. 

For access, you have to remove most of the innards. It is then possible to remove the switch from the casing by squeezing the retention clips in and taking the switch up and out. 

The current circuit has the lights and fan in series after the switch. 

Take a feed from the positive input and connect separately to one pole of each of the new switches. Connect the other pole of each switch, one to the fan and the other to the lights. 

Connect the other terminal of the fan and light to each other and then to the negative pole of the input. This then gives two independently switched circuits. 

Hope this makes sense, I'm a chemist not an electrical engineer! 

Nigel 

• Like 1