Newly Retired

Vile Traveller

Greetings, all! I've just retired, and will be moving from Hong Kong back to the UK with the aim of finally cracking open some of my collection of kits and actually building them. I stopped building models pretty much when I started work, and it feels like I've been accumulating them my whole working life in anticipation of the day when I'd have some time ... though I need to set a good pace, according to my spreadsheet (yes, I have a spreadsheet) I have 330 of them now. Mostly anime subjects acquired on frequent trips to Japan (Gasaraki, Space Battleship Yamato, Macross, Xabungle, Ma.K, etc., etc.), though I also have a soft spot for between-the-wars and WWII aircraft. Looking forward to embarrassing myself on the forums!

Edited by Vile Traveller
  • Like 2

Welcome aboard from another recently retired modeller.

I justified my stash by telling myself that I would have plenty of time once I retired.  "Senior Management" has found a number of "little jobs" for me to do around the house and garden, and I recently become a Grandad, all of which take up precious modelling time.

Still, wouldn't change it for the world.  

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

That's a very long hiatus - a bit of a Rip Van Winkle modeller 😀

31 minutes ago, klubman01 said:

Welcome aboard from another recently retired modeller.

I justified my stash by telling myself that I would have plenty of time once I retired.  "Senior Management" has found a number of "little jobs" for me to do around the house and garden, and I recently become a Grandad, all of which take up precious modelling time.

Still, wouldn't change it for the world.  

Trevor

Well, I'm retiring a little early, so it wasn't as long a hiatus as it sounds. However, I do expect Senior Management to keep me quite busy getting the retirement home and garden ship-shape, so there's no time to lose! 😅

Welcome to the gang VT - I can relate a lot to what you and everyone else has said so far (particularly with regard to Sneior Management and list - they will be the death of me!).

I thought it was all going to be about winding down and having some fun along the way - pah!

Great to have you aboard - there are some fantastically talented folk here and a wealt of knowledge to be had, so don't be afraid to ask (I've learnt a lot already - but I've yet to build up the courage to post photos!)

Stay safe!

Greetings! 

I retired 5 years ago and I must say it was the best career move I ever made. Way less stressful and relaxing.

Just don't ask my wife her opinion on my retirement!

Chris

Awesome to have you on board, and welcome back from Hong Kong, which I have pleasant memories of visiting several times in the early 2000's.  Great hobby shops to be had there!  Lots of folks here do all of the things on your bucket list.  I'm into the aircraft, myself.  Best, Alex.

• Like 2

On 04/09/2020 at 09:02, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Awesome to have you on board, and welcome back from Hong Kong, which I have pleasant memories of visiting several times in the early 2000's.  Great hobby shops to be had there!  Lots of folks here do all of the things on your bucket list.  I'm into the aircraft, myself.  Best, Alex.

Thanks for the welcome! Unfortunately the hobby shops here have been in decline for a long time, partly because of the rise of online alternatives and partly because the local youth just aren't into models any more. And if you've seen any recent news about Hong Kong you'll know the rest of it isn't what it was, either ... Still, I'm looking forward to the next phase of my life!

• Like 1