RAF Tornado GR 4

Pappy

On 10/22/2020 at 6:45 AM, Colin W said:

An excellent cockpit and now equally great Stores. If the rest of the airframe is to the same standard then this will be a cracker!

Colin

18 hours ago, Marlin said:

Lovely work and astonishing attention to details Pappy. :goodjob:

/Bosse

Thanks very much fellas. Only a few little things remain before I can close up the fuselage and start moving forwards again

cheers,

Pappy

G'day people,

The last little job has been done on the fuselage assembly. I had a coupe of PE parts than needed to be added to the MLG bays which have now been added,

011(25).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

010(27).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I also finished applying the decals to the 1500lt jugs

012(21).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

They will just need a matt coat and then I can get back to building the jet

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 8

G"day people,

Well, a big milestone today, I finally closed up the fuselage. I think I was letting the 48 scale side down as most of the other 48ers seem to be at the close-out stage so it was time to get my skates on!

003(44).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The intake and wing assembly was offered up to the upper fuselage part and this was slid down vertically into the lower fuselage assembly as per the dry run. I started gluing, working from front to back starting with the intakes. The right intake was beautiful, no step and no gaps

006(38).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The left intake was not too bad but I did get a 5 thou step. I know it is 5 thou because that is a small scrap of 5 thou card that was required to bring everything up to level!

007(39).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I was stoked with the back end too.

005(38).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

004(43).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I used CA applied with a toothpick to attach the upper fuselage to the wing seals, that done, the aft engine panels were glued together and then I was able to squeeze in the fuselage sides to match the airbrake contours without getting a step - result!

In case you are wondering, I didn't forget the stab pivots, there were left out on purpose. The fit of these is pretty sloppy, and I dislike 'working features' so I modified the part so that they can be added once the aft engine panel seams are remediated

001(44).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

The wing glove fairings are together.

002(44).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The Kruger flaps were added and when everything is dry I will sand away the flap attachment stubs

thanks for looking

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Everything looks to be coming together well for you :) 

Thanks Col,

In think that the seam remediation work won't be too bad and even though there are touches of filler here and there, it was not too bad. Some of the seams will get a smear of filler as well because the fuselage parts are designed to (mostly) join along natural panel lines. When this happens I find you can have inconsistencies in the appearance of the join, so I prefer to putty and re-scribe for consistency

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 6:08 PM, Jabba said:

That came together well without too much pain with filler.

Maybe I spoke too soon!

G'day people,

I have been plugging away at the seams. Although they are not really bad, they all needed some attention in one way or another. The right side was not too bad, it just needed a light rub back with some sanding sponges and a little re-scribe here and there

013(20).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

014(15).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The left side needs some more work but it will probably take another session with filler to get the contours right

015(13).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

016(10).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I managed to get the AAR probe on,

017(9).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

Meanwhile, this little guy arrived in the mail

007(40).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

006(39).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

005(39).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I ordered this before the GB started  hoping it would arrive in time. The Sky Shadow pod was going to be the back up. Thankfully it arrived so I can now do my preferred load

008(32).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

012(22).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

thanks for looking,

Pappy

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Col. said:

Looks good Pappy. The load in particular is impressive work :goodjob:

Thanks Col, I know that if I leave the stores to last I would end up rushing them so better for me to do them now. Plus I use them as a reward for doing the numpty work between bouts of seam filling and sanding

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice! That is the Terma pod, no?

So you managed the most modern loadout, even ASRAAMs!

G'day Werner,

That is correct. I feel that since I am doing a GR.4, I wanted to show what is different between it and the GR.1, and the best way to do this externally was with the ordnance.

I don't see the point of loading a GR.4 with GR.1 era weapons from a modelling perspective (although if you wanted to show legacy weapons that would be entirely reasonable as well) as that is my preference. I was interested to learn that Italeri are releasing (released?) a new tool 1/32 Tornado GR.4, but very dissapointed that they chose the lazy option of only including the older GR.1 era ordnance. It would have been far better to include the later of ordnance of the type that I have chosen to depict, perhaps with some ALARMSs as well as this would be  appoint of difference between it and the older Revell 1/32 kit. I hope that they at least that Italeri updated the cockpit and didn't just bung in an extra chin pod and new decals

I  have used some artistic license on this build though as the jugs are in wraparound camo instead of grey which would be the correct colour for this point in time but I like the colour contrast against an overall grey jet. Similarly the seat straps shoulfdbe a dark green not tan as these appear to have changed colour at some point but I like tan belts as they stand out more,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking very good now and congratulations on the rear fuselage. I needed a bit of filler to get this close.

Those stores are like mini works of art. Its almost a shame to hide them under the aircraft!

Colin

On 11/10/2020 at 12:29 PM, pacificmustang said:

nice work Pappy

Looks like you have got out of this one relatively painlessly with your build sequence too.  Great work on the ordnance

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, not sure about painlessly but my assembly sequence seems to have avoided some of the pitfalls that would have been induced had I followed the instruction's assembly sequence. I like painting ordnance, after cockpits it is my second favourite thing.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:27 AM, Colin W said:

Looking very good now and congratulations on the rear fuselage. I needed a bit of filler to get this close.

Those stores are like mini works of art. Its almost a shame to hide them under the aircraft!

Colin

Cheers Colin, but rest assured they will be visible.

G'day people,

A little more progress today. I have added the exhaust fairing part

016(12).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

015(15).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

013(22).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I ended up gluing this in by sections as the middle section did not want to lie flush and I ended up using some small spots of CA to hold it down. I performed a test fit with the resin exhaust assembly and it is a tight fit. I needed to pry apart the two outer pointed fairings simultaneously to slide the resin assembly in but it will fit easily once this is done. I don't want to do this too many times in case something lets go. I also carried out a dry fit with the fin

019(6).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

It seems that everyone who builds this kit winds up with a gap at the front end, even if a little pressure is applied. I will probably just add a plastic shim to take care of the gap,

thanks for looking,

Pappy

• Like 4

On 11/13/2020 at 6:06 PM, Jabba said:

Yes that part at the end of the fuselage is a pain to put on, I too had to fit one section at a time. Looking very good though.

Thanks very much Jabba.

G'day people,

I had a play with the Fin's fin today. As noted previously, there was a gap at the front of the fin assembly where it meets the upper fuselage 'hump'. I decided that I would fix the fit issue by gluing a small section of plastic sheet to the front, remembering to make the cut-outs for the two plastic guide strips

006(50).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

In order to preserve as much surface detail as possible, I sanded the plastic sheet to match the fin base cross section before attaching to the fuselage

A quick test fit shows that the fin assembly now has a quite snug fit without any pressure applied

007(51).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

008(43).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 9

On 11/17/2020 at 4:44 AM, exdraken said:

great progress!

Thank you Werner,

I started to paint the tail.

DSCN7408.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

I say started and not finished because I had a small mishap, whilst attaching the VOR aerials, some liquid glue managed to wick under my finger and leave a fingerprint 😠 I let the area dry overnight and sanded back the paint

DSCN7409.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Take II

022(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

A quick dry fit looks promising but I will need to remove a little paint from the lowest section of tail as the paint thickness is now interfering with the fit slightly

024(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

On 11/22/2020 at 10:43 PM, Colin W said:

The main airframe is now coming along really well now.

Colin

On 11/23/2020 at 6:06 PM, Jabba said:

Nice recovery on the fingerprint.

On 11/28/2020 at 6:42 PM, exdraken said:

Great looking Taille!

Thanks fellas.

G'day people,

The tail is now attached. I painted some of the smaller details as it was easier to do this now  and would require less masking

DSCN7446.JPG

DSCN7444.JPG

DSCN7443.JPG

I can now move back to the pointy end and start adding the aft cockpit bits and pieces

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5