RAF Tornado GR 4

Pappy

Just now, exdraken said:

I did not do the exersise of measuring it myself as of yet, and I am by no means an expert....

The wing sweep angle is measured at 25% chord from the leading edge, not at the leading edge... it looks like the angles get more correct then!

Ahh, right, now I understand and I agree that it would make a difference as well, thanks Werner

Pappy

• Like 1

Great looking cockpit there Pappy.

Wing sweep is usually based on the main spar as the thickest part of the wing and not affected by slats etc.

I see you have also departed from the instructions for the build sequence. Looking good so far

11 hours ago, Colin W said:

Great looking cockpit there Pappy.

Wing sweep is usually based on the main spar as the thickest part of the wing and not affected by slats etc.

I see you have also departed from the instructions for the build sequence. Looking good so far

Cheers Colin,

Thanks, but it appears that I am not alone in creating my own assembly sequence.  I have decided not to mess with the wing sweep. Based on what you and Werner have said. I also did the math based on 25% chord and there was not much difference between the kit sweep angle and 25 degrees so I am going to leave it alone. I guess this highlights the importance of independently checking other people's claims however well meaning they may be.

G'day people,

Played around some  more with the main gear. I temporarily fixed the main gear units and attached the drag brace to let it harden. I can now install the main gear units as a single assembly

002(39).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

001(39).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

As a rewards I had a play with the  resin seats that will be installed in lieu of the kit items. To be fair, the kits seats don't look bad, but they do look too wide and too square in comparison with the resin seats. If you were to build the kit in-flight or with aircrew seated I think that they would be okay.

I also made a start on these little beauties

007(34).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

006(33).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The Brimstones and their launcher are  a small kit in their own right, this should be fun!

Thanks for looking

Pappy

• Like 5

On 10/9/2020 at 11:51 PM, Christer A said:

Really nice work on those MLG.

Clever photography too, since I cannot see any sink marks on yours :)

Hi Christer,

I am not a very clever photographer unfortunately, it was more a case of good part preparation prior to applying paint. I also had the same sink marks so I spent some time filling and sanding these before getting to the assembly stage

On 10/10/2020 at 12:02 AM, trickyrich said:

gosh Pappy there's some lovely work going on here, i particularly like the cockpit.

Thanks Rich, it looked pretty nice just painted but the addition of the kit decals over the top elevated it to the next level, easily as good as the pre-painted PE but better because you don't have the colour mis-match between the pre-painted PE and the painted parts. In this instance at least, the pre-painted cockpit stuff is a waste of money (IMO) as you can get as good or better a result with the kit decals

G'day people,

So I had made a start on the Brimstone missiles. The Brimstone missiles and their launcher are basically a small kit in their own right and I have managed to add all eight PE fins to the three missiles

007(34).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

After my eyes had stopped bleeding, I gave them a coat of paint ahead of the decal application tomorrow

003(40).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The launcher was also assembled and painted

001(40).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

002(40).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

One annoying thing about this set is that the downward facing adapter is not included. There are not many platforms that currently use Brimstone and it would not have been a big thing to include the adapter as many people who buy this with the intent to use it on a Tornado. I knocked up the adapter from some 40 thou sanded to an aerofoil profile and mounted this on one of the under fuselage racks

The 'Hindenburger' tanks were also painted up

007(35).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I am not sure if I will use these of the smaller tanks yet

Finally, the seats were given a base coat

004(39).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

These are going to be fun to paint - stay tuned!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 8

On 10/10/2020 at 9:00 PM, helios16v said:

Looking good Pappy. 

Thanks for the comparison of the cans.  Looks like I may be in for some resin replacements when the time comes.

G'day Helios,  

You are very welcome. I think resin seats and engines are worthwhile as they really add to the kit and are natural focal points. You will still need to use the kit thrust reverser buckets if you want to show the mechanism deployed but I think that would really defeat the purpose of using  the resin replacement. OTOH, if you want to show the thrust reverser deployed, I would use the kit item as the biggest issue I can see withe the kit parts is the internal seam. Resin wheels bays are nice and detailed but will come at the cost of additional work. If you are prepared to do that fair enough,

cheers

Pappy 

On 10/11/2020 at 2:11 AM, Col. said:
Spoiler

Nice job on the extras Pappy. Good to see the high quality work is continuing across all of your project.

Thanks Col,

Most of the extra work is just enhancing what is provided although the lack of any form of air to ground stores is very dissappointing to say the least. I think without recourse to a 'spares box' you could easily spend the asking price of the kit again just on stores. The Academy F-15E/I/ SG family of kits is totally packed with modern ordance and pods, as are most of the Kinetic and Kitty Hawk kits which are at a similar price point. I think Revell may have a home ground advantage in that many of the potential customers are in europe but  unless you want to build a colourful airshow special you will need some stores. I think their ADV/F3 kits are better in that sense as they include missiles but the GR/IDS/ECR variants are stretching the friendship a little, especially as those variants have some country specific ordnance which places the onus back on the builder to source

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

G'day people,

Today's theme is 'Things under wings"

I spent today on stores. I find that if I leave these to the end I tend to rush them, plus, like cockpits, it is something I enjoy doing and they are basically small kits in their own right so deserve some attention to get them right.

So the Brimstone missiles are finally done. These are not for the faint hearted as getting all 8 wings on is a challenge. All told, including the launcher my parts count topped out at 37!

DSCN7251.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSCN7253.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSCN7252.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

These also come with a comprehensive decal sheet which includes the options of both live and practice rounds - niiice! Since I was applying decals, I also completed the 'Hindenburgers'

DSCN7256.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The Revell kit decals are comprehensive and includes a wealth of aircraft stencils (including the stores) and continue to impress. A quick shot of the stores completed so far

DSCN7257.JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bo

I am starting to amass quite the arsenal!

thanks for looking

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 11

G'day people,

Can someone tell me what colour grey the wing pivot area should be? It seems to be a dark grey in some pictures and a lighter grey in others. Also, should the inner flap area (the bits that a normally retracted inside the wing when the flaps are not extended) be the same colour as the rest of the exterior airframe or is there a dedicated grey colour for this area as well?

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

Hi Pappy,

In the early years these areas were painted grey (usually dary but sometimes very light). By the time the aricraft reached your GR4 incarnation the areas were in the overall colour scheme. Im not sure exactly when the change came but it was before your Brimstone era.

Colin

Cheers Colin, the BM walkaround pictures seem to confirm this and tis is what I will go with.

Of course I had to find a pic of an overall grey machine with dark paint but I am going to say that is the exception that proves the rule!

Now a bonus question, is the LAU-38 (BOL launcher) a different grey to the rest of the jet? (say FS36375 vice a medium sea grey) I realise the radome bit at the front is a darker grey but was wondering about the launcher body as it was an add on item and not OEM fit

cheers,

Pappy

G'day People,

So I have painted up the resin seats

005(35).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

DSCN7255.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSCN7254.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

These a re a massive improvement over the kit supplied seats which are actually not too bad. The kit seats include some very understated harness details but are not really a match for the resin replacements, unless you were intending to install aircrew. here a re some comparison shots of the kit seats vice the resin

006(35).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

008(28).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

007(36).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

009(28).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

Finally a couple of shots with the resin seats dry fitted

002(41).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

001(41).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I think that they sit a little low and will need some form of plinth to raise them up slightly

thanks for looking

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 12

You really captured the look of the bang seats.

The rubber hoses (heating duct?) will be attached to the fuselage sides later on?

You really captured the look of the bang seats.

The rubber hoses (heating duct?) will be attached to the fuselage sides later on?

• Like 1

Thanks very much. I don't know what the hoses do but they are very prominent when looking at pictures of the cockpit. They also vary in colour as some are orange and other black or grey.  I don't know what the hoses do and although they route to the cockpit sidewalls, I didn't know where to exactly,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy

Why they're mine of course!, who else would they belong to?

But seriously,

I don't believe in advertising for manufacturers, they don't pay  after all so I don't mention their brands, but I am sure that if you search online for 1/48 Brimstone missiles and 1/48 AIM-132 ASRAAM you will find the 'usual suspects' 

The EPWIIs were modified items from gash spares, as was the LITENING pod

As for the seats, they are a mixture of brands as I liked the resin bodies from one brand but thought that the PE belts from an F/A-18 set looked better than what was supplied with them plus a few additions of my own (the trip rods for example), so it is a mish-mash of sorts

cheers,

Pappy

14 hours ago, Pappy said:

Why they're mine of course!, who else would they belong to?

But seriously,

I don't believe in advertising for manufacturers, they don't pay  after all so I don't mention their brands, but I am sure that if you search online for 1/48 Brimstone missiles and 1/48 AIM-132 ASRAAM you will find the 'usual suspects' 

The EPWIIs were modified items from gash spares, as was the LITENING pod

As for the seats, they are a mixture of brands as I liked the resin bodies from one brand but thought that the PE belts from an F/A-18 set looked better than what was supplied with them plus a few additions of my own (the trip rods for example), so it is a mish-mash of sorts

cheers,

Pappy

Oh, they are definitely yours now!

Did Revell pay you then ??

Seriously, first I do mention the manufacturer, for me wanting them to be successful to release more stuff if their products are good, and if not to warn others....

Second I' like to know what you used... because I probably want to as well :devil:

interesting snd effective  approach regarding the seats, thanks! 

cheers!

On 10/14/2020 at 4:47 AM, Pappy said:

An interesting tthought.

For the same reason I don't were branded shirts or other clothing.  I do mention good and bad resin here on BM as not all resin is created equally. I believe its OK to encourage good suppliers and help other BM'ers to avoid poor resin.

Its your thread though so I respect your decision

Colin

• Like 1

G'day people,

Still working on the 'things under wings' before I return the the aircraft proper.  The inner wing pylons were painted up and given a wash to bring out the details. I also picked out the details on those lovely resin BOL launchers

010(26).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

008(29).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I also painted the smaller 1500lt jugs in the wraparound colours as I have seen pics of the grey jets fitted with these and they would make a nice contrast to the all grey jet

014(13).JPG?width=590&height=370&fit=bou

The Sky Shadow ECM pod was also painted. This was a tedious task  to mask up but it looks good once painted. The front of the large forward facing ram-air intake is the wrong shape as it should have a circular inlet and be narrower at the front. I only noticed this after all the sanding an filling was done. If I was building another one I would correct it but I will let it go on this build.

012(20).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

011(23).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

While I wait for the gloss coat to dry so I can apply the stencils, I turned my attention back to the jet. I have installed the resin wing seals after first removing a small section from the kit fuselage side sections

007(37).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

005(36).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Once installed I though it prudent to re-enforce these items with some sections of plastic strip

thanks for looking,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Christer A said:

Nice works om all the under-wing bits.

Did you rescribe the tanks or just sand them smooth? I find the raised panel likes om mine to be very uneven size :(

G'day Christer

I sanded all the raised panel lines off.

I think that they are trying to depict weld lines which are not very prominent in pictures  so even if they are there, they are very subtle.

After the seams were taken care of, there were large sections where the raised details were missing which looked very odd so I just sanded them all off. I don't think that there should be any large panel lines as they are designed to hold liquid so panel joins would seem counter-intuitive  apart from small inspection panels or filler caps?

Pappy

• Like 1