RAF Tornado GR 4

Pappy

8 hours ago, Jabba said:

All I can find in the books that I have is that they are grab handles for the person in the back to dispense chaff and flares during aggressive manoeuvres.

Cheers Jabba

G'day people

A little more progress. I have been working on the backseater's displays. The Revell centre tower looks a little anaemic and a little plain so a few details were added to make it closer resemble my ref pics

006(28).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

005(28).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Likewise two two displays either side

001(34).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The U/C was next up for some attention and various elec and hyd lines were added

007(28).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

008(22).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The main gear bays have also had a splash of paint and some weathering

011(19).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

010(21).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

thanks for looking

Pappy

• Like 8

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

nice detail modelling here!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Werner

8 hours ago, alhenderson said:

Adding cables!  Top notch attention to detail 👍

It had to be done Al, they looked naked otherwise

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

4 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

great work on the UC bays 👍👍👍

Cheers Wobbly

G'day people,

Still going forward

I have attache the forward fuselage halves. Things were going well fit wise -  then disaster struck!

001(35).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I managed to crack the forward right fuselage around the cockpit. I don't know what went wrong, I was not using excessive clamping force as I was just holding the parts together with my hands when I noticed the cracking. I suspect there may have been a mould flaw within the plastic and the cement caused the plastic to fail? No biggie, I just bogged up the crack with CA and sanded back, remembering to lightly scribe the surrounding panel details for Justin beforehand .  After a  few mins later I was happy with the result

005(29).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I have also tidied up the ram inlet on the fin. Mine had a short shot on the left side. I cut this area back slightly and glued a short section of resin scrap using CA

015(9).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

014(11).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

This was sanded to profile using the right side as a template. Once happy with the overall shape, the inlet was gradually opened up and shaped using a combination of drill bits and files

009(23).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

Result!

Whilst on the subject of inlets, the intake halves have been attached to the upper rear fuselage part and the seams cleaned up.

008(23).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

There is no easy way to paint the de-ice portions of the inner intakes. I had pre-painted them before attaching but the resultant seam tidy up has a made a bit of a mess which will require re-paint. I think ideally, some separate decals for the left and right intake sides plus the front lip would be an ideal solution, I think there is an opportunity there if someone is so inclined

Here is a pic of the kit supplied aft cockpit displays next to some resin counterparts

006(29).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I have dressed up the kit parts so not exactly a straight comparison but on balance two smaller displays are comparable but the kit offering of the centre tower is a little narrow. Just for something different (and because it was not quite accurate for a GR.4) I added the red protective cover as this would also add a little colour to the overwhelmingly grey cockpit.

Finally, I removed the LAU-7 rails from their adapters and grafted on resin LAU-130 BOL launchers.  I think I will have  only a single AIM-132 mounted as I think asymmetric loads  look more interesting

007(30).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

Couple of good saves there.  My1/72 F3 has a nasty divot on the side of the upper fuselage half where it had broken off the runner while still in the box.  I’ll have to make a similar repair.

AW

On 9/25/2020 at 3:32 PM, Col. said:

Good save and more lovely detail work :goodjob:

Cheers Col

On 9/25/2020 at 3:52 PM, CliffB said:

You've added more detail Pappy to just one piece of ordnance, then I'll probably have on my entire Tornado!  Great to watch :popcorn:

G'day Cliff, many modellers hate painting ordnance but I love it. When you do the reeasrch you realise how poorly sreved we had been in the past (and how spoilt we are now) and well executed ordnance can become another focal point on a kit

On 9/25/2020 at 5:08 PM, Andwil said:

Couple of good saves there.  My1/72 F3 has a nasty divot on the side of the upper fuselage half where it had broken off the runner while still in the box.  I’ll have to make a similar repair.

AW

Cheers AW, the initial reaction is usually to initiate an unplanned test flight along with a few well chosen words but I find that after you walk away and survey the issue with a cooler head you can usually see a way forward.

On 9/25/2020 at 6:33 PM, Christer A said:

Fantastic detail work in the U/C bays and MLG!

That cockpit looks might fine as well.

Thanks Christer, I was inspred by Marlin's results to use the kit decals over the kit details and I am really happy with the outcome too. The gear bays are not as detailed as the resin sets but once the legs are in place and the u/c doors are fitted, it will be busy enough for what can be seen,

Thank you everyone for your comments

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2

G'day people,

The forward fuselage seams are being worked on. I didn't get any steps and the seams looked pretty nice when initially glued but on closer inspection the lower join is a little gappy for my liking so it was time to break out the putty. Luckily some of the worst areas are covered by the chin pods so that will save some work.

003(36).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The addition of the right resin avionics bay required the width of the resin part to be reduced in thickness in order to clear the nose wheel bay. I thinned the back side but there was enough material that I  didn't break through though it is a tight fit.

While the putty hardens I have been playing around with the hot section. I really like the kit AB (sorry 'reheat' for our Brit cousins) spray rings. Although they are a little chunky in thickness, it is not really apparent looking at them through the exhaust. They will hold a wash very well and will be very visible.

001(36).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The detail of the thrust reverser units is very good as well, but the only real issue I have with the two piece kit item is that it has a horrible seam that will be difficult to eliminate

009(24).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

If you intend to have the thrust reverser buckets deployed, then this will not be an issue and the AB internals will also probably not be seen (or be very difficult to see) so you could possibly even omit adding the bits. As I will not have the thrust reversers deployed, I opted for a resin replacement instead

008(24).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I may still prepare the kit part anyway to see how much work is involved and how it compares to the resin option. If I ever get around to building another Fin, I will have the sub-assembly ready to go,

thanks for looking,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 5

G'day people,

A little more work done today. I occupied myself adding a few more details to the front instrument coaming.  I also cleaned up the windshield and the fit is very good indeed

010(23).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

011(20).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

I have also started to build up the Brimstone missiles

012(18).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

013(14).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The launcher only comprises three parts, the body and the two side launcher rails (the middle rail is moulded integrally)  and it was a delicate task to remove the outer rails without damaging them and even more fun is to be had attaching them to the launcher as they are 'handed' and it is very easy to attach them to the wrong side - guess how I found out!

Thanks for looking,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 6

G'day people,

I remember reading a build review in which the builder stated that there was an error with the wing-sweep of the Revell Tornado. Apparently, the forward wing-sweep angle should be 25 degrees, but the kit is closer to 35 degrees.

I set about to confirm this by laying the wing assemblies against some paper and drawing a line approximating the angle of the wing leading edges

015(10).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=b

The wings were removed and using a protractor I measured the wing-sweep to be 30 degrees, not quite so bad but not 25 degrees either. I then drew on the lines for 25 degrees and there is a small difference

016(7).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bo

I am not sure it will be that noticeable unless you put two kits side by side or you really, really know the jet as it doesn't really jump out at you. I am not sure if I will correct it as this will require a little bit of surgery and the addition of some more material to the inboard ends of the wing root as the addition five degrees of forward sweep will mean that the ends will now be poking out of the wing seals.

Meanwhile I have been messing around with the forward fuselage seams. They just needed a quick application of liquid putty and  light sanding with some sanding sponges  and they tidied up nicely.

Both chin pods are now on

033.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

032.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

These fit really well and I just applied a thin bead of liquid putty to fair them in

There seems to be a multitude of different assembly sequences and I have devised my own based on other peoples ideas and a few of my own. I will glue the intake trunking to the upper fuselage section (after popping the wings in!) as this means I can get a really good join between the intake lips and the trunking. This should also push out the outer intake lips sides so that you don't get the step where the intake lips meet the fuselage sides

031.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

The whole assembly can then just slide vertically downwards onto/into the lower fuselage assembly

034.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

My dry fit has a beautiful flush joint between the forward and aft fuselage sections - at least the dry fit does anyway!

036.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

035.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

I also messed around  with some preliminary flap painting, mainly just to see how the seam would come up

037.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bound

thanks for looking

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 8

just catching up with this.  Great stuff Pappy.  Just a word od warning as I see you've used the PE for the wheel wells, same as I have.  Sorry I haven't got part numbers to hand, but the PE facia that covers the rear wall of the well also covers the groove that the door actuator sits into.  You can fix the overlong actuator when it comes time to adding the doors by cutting half the width off the "bar" part of the door actuator  that would normally sit in that groove.  Hope this makes sense.  Your BOL rails were also posted off.  Hopefully should be with you soon.  Looking at your build, I see I completely missed the flaps on mine!  Buggar!

Cheers

Bruce

9 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

just catching up with this.  Great stuff Pappy.  Just a word od warning as I see you've used the PE for the wheel wells, same as I have.  Sorry I haven't got part numbers to hand, but the PE facia that covers the rear wall of the well also covers the groove that the door actuator sits into.  You can fix the overlong actuator when it comes time to adding the doors by cutting half the width off the "bar" part of the door actuator  that would normally sit in that groove.  Hope this makes sense.  Your BOL rails were also posted off.  Hopefully should be with you soon.  Looking at your build, I see I completely missed the flaps on mine!  Buggar!

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers Bruce!

The flaps seems to be catching quite a few people out, as do the flap guides on the wings themselves, I have seen a few builds now where people have cut these off the wing. This is not really the builder's fault as the wing flap guides are almost indistinguishable from the kit sprue attachment points and was I not previously warned I think I may have fallen for the same trap. The flap instructions are also a little diabolical as they do not present a clear orientation when building the extended option.

Thanks for the heads up ref the u/c door actuators, I understand what you are saying but was not ware of the issue until you mentioned it - thanks, forewarned is forearmed! 

I also discovered that the u/c bay  avionics boxes that you need to fold up and install between the ribs don't fit without considerable thinning of some of the rib faces. I actually just used some rectangular plastic stock for the rear most pair and just glued the PE facia part over the top, job's a good 'un

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

very nice,

I did the same with my upper fuselage, and it worked very well!  the rear end is a bit troublesome though.. But at least in my case that was due to the airbrakes....

regarding the wing sweep angle, we had some discussion here already: it is measured 25% in-wards, not at the leading edge

• Like 1

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

very nice,

I did the same with my upper fuselage, and it worked very well!  the rear end is a bit troublesome though.. But at least in my case that was due to the airbrakes....

regarding the wing sweep angle, we had some discussion here already: it is measured 25% in-wards, not at the leading edge

G'day Werner,

I am not sure that I understand what you mean by 'in-wards' could you explain further for a dummy like me?

Does this mean the kit's fwd wing sweep angle is correct?

cheers,

Pappy

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

1 minute ago, Pappy said:

I am not sure that I understand what you mean by 'in-wards' could you explain further for a dummy like me?

Does this mean the kit's fwd wing sweep angle is correct?

cheers,

Pappy

I did not do the exersise of measuring it myself as of yet, and I am by no means an expert....

The wing sweep angle is measured at 25% chord from the leading edge, not at the leading edge... it looks like the angles get more correct then!

• Like 1