1:72 S.B.S Model de Havilland DH.88 Comet

19 hours ago, Moa said:

Nice going!

Thanks! I've been referring to your builds on a regular basis. Good thing, too, as otherwise I might have missed the elevators.    👍

13 hours ago, David H said:

Ooh, that's just lovely, Bill!

Thanks, I think most of that is due to the beautiful shape of the aircraft itself. An absolute classic.    :)

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Yep, another Bill beauty :) 

Thanks. She is pretty, that's for sure. I hope I can get this finished prior to the end of the year so I can include it in my yearbook. Otherwise I have only a paltry two models to show for this whole stinkin' year!     :drunk:

11 hours ago, Fritag said:

Ridiculously beautiful aeroplane; typically beautiful Navy Bird build. 

Thanks. I take my cues from your threads! I should build more of these classic air racers, as they really are beautiful.

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

A typical Navy Bird result, looking forward to seeing the next stage now

Thanks! I hope to get her up on her legs today. I'm not sure about the tail skid, though, as the resin looks quite delicate and may not survive any rough landings.

10 hours ago, giemme said:

And yes, Team Lotus sprung to mind immediately :D

I went through my decal stash and found a very old sheet with the markings for Jimmy Clark's 1965 Indy 500 winner. Where on earth did that come from, and why do I still have it? I can kinda sorta remember building a model of that when I was, like, very young (55 years ago). But I guess I must have painted it in some other scheme - Dan Gurney, probably. Oh well, I don't think that old decal sheet is any good - yellower than a school bus and with a patina several millimeters thick.   :doh:

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Loving that green Bill. What a splendid build this is!

Thanks, Terry. The green is actually just a wee bit lighter than it looks in the photos. I think I may have to open the camera up an f/stop for the next pix.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some progress - the lady is up on her legs, the stickers are on, and she's received a top coat of semi-gloss resulting in a nice egg shell sheen. That's what I like for glossy paint schemes in this scale, as super shiny glossy looks more like a toy to me, It's just my preference. I don't know if there is such a thing as "scale gloss" but I believe in it. The decals went on extremely well, so kudos to S.B.S.

The holes for the props had to be drilled out a bit, but other than that things are going well. (Now I've jinxed it!) I'm finishing up the props, canopy, and some other fiddly bits, and then I think she'll be finished.

IMG_5575

IMG_5572

She really is a graceful design. Geoffrey done good.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. S.B.S even cast the Dunlop letters into those tiny 1:72 tyres. Nice.    👍

PPS. I dropped the headlight and it took me about an hour crawling around on my hands and knees, but I found it! I'm still in charge.    :fight:

• Like 25

Seconded! Good job Bill :) 

49 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

… an hour crawling around on my hands and knees, but I found it!

Ah, modellers exercise, it's what keeps us in top fighting form :D 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I don't know if there is such a thing as "scale gloss" but I believe in it.

I'm with you on that idea too Bill, it just looks right. She is turning into a beauty. Takes me back to when I had the old Airfix Comet as a child. I was very young and as I recall I didn't even paint it - well it was red plastic, so why bother! That got me thinking as to when that was, so I checked scalemates and it seems it was first released in 1957 and I reckon I built it sometime around 1960 or just after maybe when I was 7 or 8. Happy days!

Terry

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Moa said:

A beaut!

Thanks! You were my inspiration...and, of course those exquisite castings from S.B.S.    :)

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Ah, modellers exercise, it's what keeps us in top fighting form :D 

I forgot to say that wifey helped me look too. First time I'd been rolling around on the floor with her in several decades.    :)

21 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

The only thing prettier than a red Comet is a green Comet! Nice job. I have that kit, and if mine turns out to look half as good as yours, I'll be happy.

Yeah, that green is nice. A lot different than the green that is on all my Spitfires, but very nice nonetheless.    :)

17 hours ago, Hamden said:

Stunning Bill absolutely stunning!

Stay safe            Roger

Thanks Roger! I always wear my mask, even though it scares some folks. It has that Court of the Crimson King album cover on it. I thought it would sum up the way we all feel this year!

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I'm with you on that idea too Bill, it just looks right. She is turning into a beauty. Takes me back to when I had the old Airfix Comet as a child. I was very young and as I recall I didn't even paint it - well it was red plastic, so why bother! That got me thinking as to when that was, so I checked scalemates and it seems it was first released in 1957 and I reckon I built it sometime around 1960 or just after maybe when I was 7 or 8. Happy days!

Thanks Terry, it's good to see that someone else believes in "scale gloss." I remember those days when I would specifically choose one kit over another because it was moulded in colour! But that was in my brush painting days. Suffice to say I was never able to approach the skill of @tonyot with a hairy stick.

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Gorgeous! Impeccably built and colored, that green definitely has a particular appeal :worthy:  :worthy:

Would it have been cool if the RAF had bolted on two Merlins and a couple of four-blade props and sent these babies up to hunt Messerchmitties? Oh, and maybe some armor plate to cover up the wood...

OK, I ran out of parts again, so it must be done. I spent quite a lot of time looking for something to make the elevator and rudder balances out of, but I haven't found anything yet. I'll keep noodling on that before I post the RFI. Maybe I can come up with something. Here she is at present:

IMG_5577

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 25

On 11/6/2020 at 5:16 PM, Navy Bird said:

They even sent me a JPG of the MRI scan of my brain, suitable for framing. I should post it!    :)

Probably looks like the factory camouflage pattern for an Fw-200! :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 1