Tamiya Beaufighter MkVI MTO scheme

franky boy

Hi everyone 

Just doing a bit of digging around for possible builds for the upcoming MTO GB one of which is Tamiyas Beaufighter mkvi in 1/48. So two questions. 

1. Having read the very interesting thread started by Tony OToole on the subject of Beaufighters camo in the MTO And not wanting to hijack it I was wondering if the kit option for T9068 of 272 squadron is correct to be dark earth, mid stone, azure blue. At least that’s what I think the colours are intended to be as there’s a lot of mixing involved as always with Tamiya. Particularly as the box art shows it attacking a ship.

2. Does anyone have any info on the aircraft pictured below. It’s apparently from 272 squadron and is definitely taken on Malta. The underside colour look is as if it maybe azure blue or even pru blue. I can’t make out the top sides but they don’t look like dark earth, mid stone. 

50298737571_8b1accf097_c.jpgA2F0F6AD-5473-4180-B28D-301AF614E4AC by James Halls, on Flickr

Thanks in advance 

James

As Graham says,..... it is more likely to be TSS with Azure Blue undersides,..... plus the tail would be the earlier flat tailplane and  T9068 is an unused serial within a block of Short Sunderland`s! 

Here is a Malta Beau that I built ages ago from the Tamiya kit;

DSCF6108.jpg

DSCF6110.jpg

beau-malta.jpg

There is also;

X8035/J, 227 Sqn, Malta;

Beaufighter-Mk-VIC-RAF-227-Sqn-J-X8035-M

You could go for a desert painted night fighter as they were camouflaged because they stood out like sore thumbs during the day in their all black schemes,.... but these had flat tailplanes too;

DSCF6744-NEW.jpg

DSCF6745-NEW.jpg

Good luck,

Tony

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The topside colours are the Temperate Sea Scheme of Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey.  The undersurfaces are Azure Blue.

11 hours ago, tonyot said:

As Graham says,..... it is more likely to be TSS with Azure Blue undersides,..... plus the tail would be the earlier flat tailplane and  T9068 is an unused serial within a block of Short Sunderland`s! 

Here is a Malta Beau that I built ages ago from the Tamiya kit;

DSCF6108.jpg

DSCF6110.jpg

beau-malta.jpg

There is also;

X8035/J, 227 Sqn, Malta;

Beaufighter-Mk-VIC-RAF-227-Sqn-J-X8035-M

You could go for a desert painted night fighter as they were camouflaged because they stood out like sore thumbs during the day in their all black schemes,.... but these had flat tailplanes too;

DSCF6744-NEW.jpg

DSCF6745-NEW.jpg

Good luck,

Tony

Thanks Graham and Tony. 

TSS with azure blue undersides certainly does make a very attractive scheme. 

Tony, I do have a decal sheet which includes a Beaufighter in desert camo with black undersides so that is another option. 

Thanks again 

James

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MACALAIN said:

Hello, DK decals made decoration for such planes in 1/48 and more in 1/72

Regard

Alain

Hi Alain

I had a look around on the internet for that sheet and couldn’t find it in stock anywhere. Apart from a web shop in Slovakia who’s site didn’t have the option to translate into English. 

I’ll keep looking. 

Thanks

James

14 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Hi Alain

I had a look around on the internet for that sheet and couldn’t find it in stock anywhere. Apart from a web shop in Slovakia who’s site didn’t have the option to translate into English. 

I’ll keep looking. 

Thanks

James

Yes I have see, most of the time, it's out of stock.

But try to contact DK decals self.

http://www.dkdecals.cz/

• Like 1