Coastal Command Blenheim IVf +++ Finished +++

A quick scan through the Build Threads suggests that no-one's currently building a Blenheim IV (apologies if I've missed one).

So I thought I should rectify this omission :winkgrin:

I'll be building a 235 Squadron aircraft, using this 1/200 Zvezda kit as the basis.

P1110627.JPG

P1110628.JPG

It looks like it's a pretty nicely moulded kit but, despite the 'snap fit' claim, I shall definitely be using glue!  I'll need to add an under-belly gun pack too.

I suspect that painting is going to be the most challenging part of the build (plus sorting out some appropriate markings).

See you again soon,

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Cliff. Just checking if you have had chance to start this yet?

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix

I've just been playing around with it at the moment.

P1110652.JPG

It's a beautifully engineered little kit.  The parts just push together due to the precise tolerances of the locating pins and sockets.  It comes apart again equally easily.

Overall, it's a million times better than the Zvezda Mi-8 that I'm currently building in the Helicopter GB!

It'll be a couple weeks probably, before I start applying glue and paint.

Cheers

• Like 9

On 9/9/2020 at 11:08 AM, J Sherratt said:

Wow that is small!

On 9/9/2020 at 11:12 AM, PlaStix said:

It does look good! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys.   The dorsal machine gun does look a lot like a kitchen tap though :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi Cliff,

What colour scheme are you going to do it in?

Pete

Hi Pete, I'm thinking of this 235 Squadron machine (taken from Wings Palette).

9_10.png

Chosen because the code letters are straight-edged and so give me a chance of creating them by masking.  Failing that, I may need to resort to white characters from my decal bank :nono:

I've seen this scheme referred to elsewhere as "1940", so I'm hoping it's applicable to BoB.  I'd be pleased to be corrected though if folks know better.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Cliff,

Looks good to me. I expect that some did end up in Temperate Sea Scheme as did some Beauforts I believe, but I think that came in somewhat later than this period - I expect Troy or Graham will know the date.

Cheers

Pete.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for comments @PeterB and @Ray_W , and my apologies for the delay in replying.

It's finally time to bring this into my 'Currently Building' list :)

My first job was to paint the interior.  Matt black seems to work best in 1/200.

I've also painted the edges of the transparencies, because otherwise the refractive effects can be very noticeable in this scale.

P1110668.JPG

P1110669.JPG

Generally, everything has been pretty finely moulded  - the tailwheel being a particularly delicate 1mm diameter.

The one bit of obvious clumsiness is the u/c legs, which are moulded as 'planks' rather than struts.  This is OK at the front (because of the u/c door), but looks bad at the rear.  I've therefore cut the rear planks away and will replace them with fine plastic rod in due course.

P1110670.JPG

Off now to think about a gun pack.

Cheers

• Like 5

And now I have an 'f' :)

The gun pack made from a piece of 1.5mm thick plastic card.  I'm reasonably pleased with the gun ports - I'll be adding barrels once everything is painted.

P1110675.JPG

Cheers

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I don't envy you painting the canopy framing!

Cheers,

Stew

Masking up is my next task.  The only positive is that the frames are very clear to see (albeit under a magnifying lens :blink:)

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 1:15 PM, PlaStix said:

Very impressive small scale modelling! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix and my apologies for the delay in replying - I somehow missed your post :(

I'm back on the Blenheim full time now and have started to add some paint.  BoB Coastal Command Blenheims were apparently still wearing the Temperate Land Scheme, so I've dusted off my old tinlet of Humbrol Authentic HB5 (like the magic porridge pot, it never seems to run out).

P1110724.JPG

I've also decided to abandon the idea of having transparent cockpit glazing - I'll paint the panes black instead.  This works quite well in 1/200 and I think will give a neater overall appearance.  We'll see!

Cheers

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I have seen a light/medium blue used for transparencies in small scales.  I'm not pushing it as The Answer but you might like to consider it.  Something that might depend upon the overall scheme.

Thanks Graham

I built this 1/200 scale Walrus earlier this year and, despite appearances, it does actually have transparent cockpit glazing!

P1110086.jpg

Things might be different with the Blenheim though, as it has that prominent see-through nose.  I'll certainly bear your suggestion in mind :thumbsup2:.

Cheers

• Like 4

Cliff,

Outstanding micro-builds as always. The Blenheim is looking wonderful, but that Walrus is exceptional.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Outstanding micro-builds as always.

Is 'nano-build' a phrase? :D 

15 hours ago, Ray_W said:

that Walrus is exceptional

Indeed; Cliff rigged a 1/200th scale biplane... I'm still trying to process that concept :lol: 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Ray_W and @Stew Dapple :)

This morning I've been grappling with the code letters.  First I sprayed the fuselage sides grey and then masked off the codes.  This is why I chose this particular aircraft - it has straight-sided code letters!

P1110730.JPG

Out with the dark earth next ....

• Like 5

A quick update, as I'm aware that the clock is ticking!

P1110731.JPG

Painted with Xtracrylix.  I sprayed the Dark Earth and then brush painted the green.  I've ended up with quite a noticeable step between the colours :(.  

Fortunately, the macro photo makes it look worse than it really is. As you can see, I've also now masked up the canopy glazing.

Cheers

• Like 4

I'm pleased to say that the Blenheim is now finished.

P1110742.JPG

My attempt to mask the code letters failed miserably, so I had to repaint the fuselage sides and revert to using some decals from my spares box.  They're white (rather than grey), but that's not too noticeable in this scale.  Likewise, I'm aware that the fuselage roundels and the tail flashes are not 100% correct.

That aside (plus the lack of exhausts - which I could have added, had I thought about it earlier :banghead:), I'm reasonably pleased with how it turned out.  It's persuaded me to go 1/200 again in the upcoming Interceptor GB!

Thanks as always to the Hosts and to all who supported this build.

Cheers

• Like 4

• CliffB changed the title to Coastal Command Blenheim IVf +++ Finished +++