Red Fury!!

Hi.

A build I just finished and worked on within my very limited space.  Special Hobby kit. Draw Decals and scratch made 'Smokewinders'!  All hand brushed with only the white primer undercoat coming from aerosol. The red was all brush painted as mentioned, using an acrylic paint but maker of which is eluding me.   The yellow tail hook actually needs some very thin red bands but blowed if I am going to attempt it !  The smokwinders were made from a pair of bombs from a 1/144 Lancaster kit with the taill ends cut off and a piece of rod for the ends. Some teeny pieces of styrene strip for attachment points.  Sadly the decals were out of register for the reggie lettering as you can see. I did go back to Draw decals and a replacement set was sent out but even though they looked better on the sheet they were not. Oh well.

56S0LF.jpg

lJIvjs.jpg

bcZakq.jpg

0ZgXjC.jpg

One of the kits failings is the lack of main undercarriage retracting arms which I made from a piece of wire and thin slivers of plastic sheet cut to approximate shape which did the ruck. Not perfect but OK. Also SH missed the small blisters to the outer face of main undercarriage covers,
fbGeFA.jpg

3OqRvB.jpg

pE2pcH.jpg

QEaR2H.jpg

JCP3DN.jpg

Now all I need is  a Spit 14 with bubble top to make G-FIRE!

• Like 29

Red Racer!

45 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Now all I need is  a Spit 14 with bubble top to make G-FIRE!

Coming later this year :) 
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/pre-orders/supermarine-spitfire-mkxiv-race-schemes.html

Someting for the Showbird & racer GB perhaps? :)

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Red Racer!

Coming later this year :) 
https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/pre-orders/supermarine-spitfire-mkxiv-race-schemes.html

Someting for the Showbird & racer GB perhaps? :)

Yes . That will be great, even though its 1/48th but it will still find its way in to my stash.

My Sea Fury above  is 1/72nd by the way.

Nice photos 

21 hours ago, 352nd Fighter Group said:

yes All owned by Spencer Flack G-FIRE G-FURY & G-HUNT spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Nice pics. I see that the Airfix 1/48th Spit XIV as G-FIRE and the Canadian one is imminent.  I am hoping that they will do the same with the 48th Hunter and Sea Fury to make the set. And maybe include the 'smokewinders' as an additional sprue.??!

• Like 1

Nice.  I did see G-FURY  back in the day, and loved G-HUNT.  Not that you need any encouragement I am sure but my rather poor 110 camera shot of G-FIRE

ndKFZ81.jpg

Good work on your Fury.

• Like 4

How are Draw Decal for 1/72 stock on the ex-Red Pegasus decals?  I wanted some 1/48 Ormond Hayden-Baillie Black Knight decals but they are sadly gone & they are not sure where all the art work is to reproduce them.  I mailed Draw Decals a couple of weeks back to check.  I think they have G-HUNT in 1/48 but postage to the UK is a bit pricey.  I would love to do G-HUNT & G-BOOM but would probably have to be all over red Mike Carlton era.  But then 1/48 twin seat hunter conversions are like hens teeth

I remember an interview with the owner back when the BBC used to show Farnborough. He had wanted to paint the aircraft camouflage, but apparently the RAF had objected for some reason so he had gone for the red scheme instead.

Lovely build.

9 minutes ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

I saw all 3 at airfete in the 80's I remember the spitfire and the fury had strobe lights in the cannon/machine gun ports quite effective on a low pass towards the crowd line

Yes remember that too.  Was there at Airfete 78 for my first one & then 80, 81, 83 & 85 that I am sure of as I still have the programmes.  Did a couple of Duxford around 78 & 80 too.  Spencer Flack, Ray Hannah, Ormond Haydon-Baillie, and more.  I was only a kid but great memories.

• Like 1