Does/should vallejo still smell after it’s dry

william smith

Good morning everyone , I have a very small question regarding Vallejo model air and their other products like their primer , should they still smell after they have dried? It’s been a good few days and the model is still a bit wiffy after giving it a sniff 

I am also a noob at airbrushing so another question is once I have sprayed a coat do I leave it to dry like brushpainting or can I just go over it straight away 

I've never personally noticed a smell just after painting, 15-20 minutes etc.

I airbrush Vallejo all the time, if the pieces are big enough, or there is a few of them by the time I've finished the first coat on the last piece its dry enough to go back to the beginning and do the second coat (couple of minutes at most to dry).  If its only small pieces or a few I do the first coat then blow just air from the AB for 10 seconds or so util its dried then hit the second coat.

You didn't apply it too thick did you?  The only time its taken a long time to dry model air is if I've messed up and its gone on too wet, and that can sometimes smell for a while, but I've never noticed it the following day.

In the summer here in the US Southeast, it is so humid that my Vallejo do have a distinct, almost sweet candy-like odor to them for days after they have dried but not cured (a simple test I use is if they still feel a tad rubbery to decide if the paint is cured).  This is particularly noticeable with their primer but I sprayed some insignia white a couple of days ago that also still has this slight odor and hasn't fully cured.  Once they cure though the odor dissipates.  I have multiple projects going on simultaneously, so I just work on something else while the paint cures but if you are in a rush, try a hair dryer on low setting to speed up the process.  Just be careful the heat from the dryer doesn't warp the plastic or damage the paint.

• Like 1