Two Stage Mosquito Journey

Collin

I just love the Mosquito...for a Yank.....I just have to get that off my chest.

So...looking over my huge stash....jumped on this impulse build.

So.….the journey begins.  1/48 Tamiya conversion.

SOdiHl4.jpg

LDbYRQa.jpg

HDwx315.jpg

XZO3E5H.jpg

Cheers

Collin

Edited by Collin
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Lovely work so far there Collin. Who made the 2 stage engines that you're using?

Nice job blending them in

SD

These are one-piece resin parts from Jason Chatwin purchased back in 2015. They are very nice. 

I recently purchased two stage Merlin’s from Brengun, seem very similar except split into two pieces. 

Still looking for a bulged bomb bay, gotta have a two stage Cookie dropper. Still waiting for a good PR canopy for that two stage photo bird I want to do.   Figured I would get the two stage TI marker Oboe-equipped variant out of the way now. 

Cheers

Collin

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all:

Slow movement on this build, modeling MO-JO is ebbing/flowing. 

Came to the realization (as I often do) with in-flight builds that after the aircrew are added (and canopy added)....a lot of cockpit detail will not be seen. 

Painted up the figures to a degree that they will at least been seen through the finished canopy.  Added a Gee box with some wires to represent the busy area...and give the Navigator something to turn around and "tune" while his pilot stays on the dit-da bomb run. 

Next will be painting up the canopy area and bomb bay area and get the body together.  Planning on open bomb bays with 4 x 250lb TI's (or at least aftermarket UK 250lb bombs painted up as such).

Cheers

Collin

U4HSFze.jpg

YzRW29B.jpg

AjOcNW4.jpg

wwjPhIM.jpg

• Like 9

Slow but steady progress.  As you can all tell I am a big fan of CA/gun metal powder as my filling agent.  The seams you see are actually  rescribed or (a benefit of the Mosquito) the fuselage seams are all glass smooth (contrary to their looks).  You can see where I have put in the mounting for the in-flight brass rod on the belly.  That is just simply a long piece of plastic tube inserted all the way into the fuselage and faired in with CA.  It's a solid mounting.  Lucky for me the clear nose and side windows will be painted over for this particular Pathfinder build (as most of them were as not to show the sensitive equipment packed inside).

Now I need to really take my time and work on the canopy...which in my view can be a make or break item for a Mosquito. 

Cheers

Collin

farOqXw.jpg

OuuPaMt.jpg

8kfuUXW.jpg

mAF3HJt.jpg

UzRJt9h.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Collin said:

As you can all tell I am a big fan of CA/gun metal powder as my filling agent. 

What is gun metal powder?  

New one to me, I presume some type of metal powder, but what metal?   

neat work as well, :goodjob:

• 3 weeks later...

Initial painting done.  First time I used masking tape or paper masks.  I tried freehand airbrushing which I have done on other builds...but the Mossie had close to a feathered edge or sharp edge that I just couldn't reproduce freehand.  Tried to mottle the top paint a bit...just to break it up.  

I use the display stand as a makeshift aircraft holder for painting and letting things dry.  Next comes the clear coats and decals....then some weathering.

Cheers

Collin

NU4NAJO.jpg

Wllau4J.jpg

XTRCfqN.jpg

v3Yg7Pe.jpg

• Like 10

Decals on, sealed and drying overnight.  Took the opportunity to take her for a test flight in the model room...silly putty holding on the props.  Good test flight.

Mix of Tamiya and Aeromaster decals for B-HS.  Used Tamiya branded Mark Fit Super Strong.  Worked wonders on all the decals....it's pretty hot stuff, but not "melt the decals" strong.  Great stuff.

Tomorrow comes the fun part of putting down a semi-matt acrylic coat in prep for some oil and enamel weathering.  When that semi-matt coat hits and everything blends together and the paint modulation comes back to life (gloss goat kills all of that).....that's the best part of model making for me.

Cheers

Collin

kqzY3lU.jpg

2pJAns3.jpg

ewmbm14.jpg

nd0OCow.jpg

• Like 5

Some light weathering on the top side.  Still wondering how to weather the black lower surface...and still keep the panel lines dark.  I'm not a big fan of the light color panel lines on a dark/black aircraft.  

Cheers

Collin

mq4VbVV.jpg

C4NliRT.jpg

iuhyx2C.jpg

u8rZve5.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Bit late now, but the answer is not to use a black for the base coat but  very dark grey.

The lower half is a mix of off-black (NATO Black) and some darker grey colors from the paint pile. Actually used straight black enamel as a weathering step during the initial painting. Unfortunately this can’t really be seen with either a gloss or semi-gloss coat. That should pop out when I hit it with a matt coat. 

My original point is I don’t like light colored panel lines on dark night fighter schemes. I get the artistic side of it, but I’m trying to avoid that.  I’m actually thinking of some panel filters with deep blue and other dark washes I have. We shall see.

Big thing for me is not to screw up the exhaust stains, which always looks cool on a night fighter. 

Cheers

Collin

On 9/6/2020 at 8:47 PM, Whitewolf said:

Not come across resin 2 stage merlins before. I have a Tamiya kit stashed away with Paragons resin bulged bomb bay and vac form canopy to do a B Mk35. You can still pick up the paragon bits now and again on ebay

I had some from CMK (I think), but they were too short and too narrow, so I sliced them up, widened and lengthened them, then cast my own.

• 6 months later...
On 9/2/2020 at 5:27 AM, Collin said:

These are one-piece resin parts from Jason Chatwin purchased back in 2015. They are very nice. 

I recently purchased two stage Merlin’s from Brengun, seem very similar except split into two pieces. 

Still looking for a bulged bomb bay, gotta have a two stage Cookie dropper. Still waiting for a good PR canopy for that two stage photo bird I want to do.   Figured I would get the two stage TI marker Oboe-equipped variant out of the way now. 

Cheers

Collin

Is Jason Chatwin trading under a brand name? Is he involved in Brengun?  Thanks 

Edited by 28ZComeback