Tamiya 1/12 Yamaha YZF-R1M "Tech21"

I managed to get this finished over the long weekend, and barring a chipped edge and a broken decal on the windscreen, everything went together well. A really good kit from Tamiya that is full of detail but no hassle whatsoever and the decals from Studio27 are brilliant to work with.

Paints used were Zero paints Yamaha Tech21 set, Tamiya lacquer paints and AK extreme for the metals. Now I am getting used to Zero I can appreciate how good they are. Just get the primer on well and they spray to a great finish.

p?i=b2916fefad27c4d66619774aa91c6854

p?i=45003ebf949c14da1a43190f6a2b9d21

p?i=adfe912fbbe8e4bedc16a72370cffb16

p?i=f76c5dcb228afa481486aa099cfea4c3

I tried a couple with a blue background while trying out a new lightbox. Need a bit more practice at this sort of thing.

p?i=62b057e9729b6113c3ec49182bf71d13

p?i=b30be7cefc366a786db48e2131045eef

Thanks for looking. Now for a new project.

• Like 12

Great work on this mate looks fab 👏 I've used zero paints for a long time now and agree that the primer coat is very important to the finish you can achieve. I've built a couple of bikes in the past maybe i need to build another one 🤔 One tiny suggestion if i may regarding the chain, a dark wash over this part would really make the links stand out and add some extra detail 🙂 However your build is smart, clean and expertly put together well done mate 👍 

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much Andy and I appreciate the fair and accurate critique. The chain is a weak point in the model and it, and the brake calipers, could do with better definition. Weathering and highlighting is something I need to work on and I should buy a cheap old kit to experiment on.👍

• Like 1

Thanking you. I took your advice from my last build and drilled out the holes on the discs. That little bit of extra effort and time works rather well. And after studying a guy at work's bike I'll have to work out how to get the worn effect they get next. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cheers. Another great Tamiya kit to get stuck into. I have a bit of a stash going too and hopefully I will get one started before Christmas. Mostly straightforward but one is the Honda Repsol. Looks gorgeous but the decals are a bit daunting.😲

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Cheers. Another great Tamiya kit to get stuck into. I have a bit of a stash going too and hopefully I will get one started before Christmas. Mostly straightforward but one is the Honda Repsol. Looks gorgeous but the decals are a bit daunting.😲

Be sure to let me know when you start the next bike build Stef I wouldn't mind following along 😉 👍

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Will do. It's a toss up between a Suzuki, Ducati or the Honda at the moment. Probably the Ducati as everyone loves them. I think. (And it has a low decal count).😀

Here's my Ducati from many moons ago 🙂

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1