How is the 1/48 Kitty Hawk Lockheed Martin F35B to build?

One 48

Considering one in RAF livery, not even sure if the RAF F-35B squadrons are fully established/operational yet? Royal Navy one would be fine too but those are not ready until 2025 ish I think?

617 Squadron RAF Marham markings would be nice, a few are there now, does kit come with those markings or can a decal sheet be bought for them now or in planned future?

Had a quick look at Britmodellers in box review that dates back a few years and kit parts look good, dont mind building it all panels open? or are there any good build reviews, fit notes etc, would prefer an easy build if possible.

This aircraft is finally growing on me.

I'm at the end of building one. It's typical Kitty hawk standard. It all fits together OK ish. Just do plenty of dry fitting prior to applying glue. It's designed to have everything open, if you try to close up the doors and panels there may be problems.

The instructions are again typical KH, wrong part numbers on a few items and missing build steps.

Decals wise, what comes with the kit is a work of fiction. Caracal models are in the process of releasing a decal sheet with correct and current markings for a Brit F35B, CD 48141. I am awaiting the release of these decals to finish my kit.

There are no squadron markings on the F35's just the "corporate" lightning fin flash on all the aircraft. They are pooled in a fleet for use by 617 and 207 Sqns. 617 are fully operational and have flown missions over Syria. The carrier build up and experience is still ongoing. 207 Sqn are an FAA Sqn number, but their role is as the OCU.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

207 Sqn are an FAA Sqn number, but their role is as the OCU.

207 is not a FAA squadron number, unless you’re really going right back to pre-1918 days; 207 Sqn RAF was the re-numbered 7 Squadron RNAS (itself a renumbered B Squadron of No. 4 Wing RNAS - only RNAS Squadrons in France had numbers as we recognise them).  FAA 2nd line squadrons are in the 700 series, and front line in the 800 series (plus a few WW2 in the 1700 / 1800 series when they ran out of numbers).  

The second front line F35-B squadron - assuming the politicians don’t scrap half the order - will be 809, which really is an FAA number.  I haven’t seen anything definite, but my guess is that they will fudge the politics by simply calling it “809 Squadron”, rather than “809 Naval Air Squadron”... but I might be wrong (hope so!)

It also remains to be seen whether the 809 cabs ever get a Phoenix marking, on the same lines as the lightning bolt derived from 617’s crest.

• Like 4

On 9/2/2020 at 7:04 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

207 is not a FAA squadron number

Yes......good point well put!!

I did mean that it was a Navy squadron prior to 1st April 1918, I just totally phrased it wrong.:clown:.

From what I have heard, and from comments on a thread here on BM that I cant find now. The operational squadrons are to be one from each service, 617 and 809 pending funding (sigh). The OCU was picked to have a pedigree with both, hence one of the 200 numbered squadrons that used to be RNAS. 208 was in the running as it had recently stood down on the retirement of the Valley Hawk T1's. But some Navy top brass objected as they thought it had too much RAF history!!!! I believe it had a very distinguished history with the Navy.

• Like 2

“Naval 8”, which morphed into 208, had a very distinguished history.  I didn’t know that they’d chosen the OCU number deliberately to have a foot in both camps. The Crabs must have mellowed - with the honourable exception of the Buccaneer world, which seems to have had a high degree of mutual RN / RAF respect from the outset, the Air Force has always tended to be somewhat sniffy about their RNAS roots (where applicable). 

• Like 1

Hey all,

Have to admit the kit is very nice ( I have the 2nd edition with the extra weopons and updated parts) though I have been trying to get some short shot parts from Kitty Hawk for the last 8 weeks with no avail. Had a couple of emails from them though no updates on how to pay for them!

As I said, great kit but let down by quality issues and frustrating service 😞

• Like 1

How is the 1/48 Kitty Hawk Lockheed Martin F35B to build?

Hi,

TBH, I tried my hand at a V1.0 kit.

Never again. The only reason I didn't follow Mythbusters' motto ("When in doubt, C4") was the lack of C4...

If the  now available v3.0 is any better, I might give it a try, but I think I'd rather wait for a (wishful thinking incoming) Meng kit.

Cheers,

S.

Edited by Sebastien
  • Like 1

I have the KH F-35C and the first reply is probably the most accurate. If the doors and panels are open it will probably be an OK build. I wanted my kit with the doors closed. Fit, not so good. Add to that the armor plating representing the tape joints. I am trying to sand them all off. The C is also missing the APU exhaust on the upper fuselage next to the fin. Since it is the only 1/48 C this it it until someone else produces one. 

• Like 1

So there are three versions of the same kit? how do you know what version you have I wonder? I bidded for and won one with a lot of A/M so no idea what version will arrive? Plan to do it all doors open though to minimise fit frustration.

5 hours ago, jpk said:

The three versions are A, B and C. The A is generally USAF with other NATO member countries. The B is generally US Marine and some RAF. The B is pretty much just the US Navy.  

Yup, realise that, thanks, what I meant from the way I read a couple of replies in this topic was ... maybe there was more than version of the kitty Hawk F-35 B kit, as in revisions/correction of error/ ETC that sometimes happens in the world of scale modelling ... on another note heard last night elsewhere the kit instructions are not very good when doing a build?

Mine will be here soon and I'll see for myself I guess :)

As far as I'm aware the 1st edition was made in multicolour plastic, had the prototype wheels, no boarding ladder or refueling probe.

2nd edition had revsions of boarding ladder, refueling probe & new wheels (though you have to cut the parts out of the fuselage to fit them) as well as a very extensive set of weapons for internal & extrenal stores. Oh now molded in grey plastic.

3rd (I think) is the same as the 2nd edition with new decals...........

My kit came with Eduard's interior & exterior updates both are very good though I personally don't think I'll use the exterior parts 😞

• Like 1

Thanks, my kit I won Ebay is coming with a LOT of A/M, Eduard stuff, replacement resin tail fins, nozzles, wheels , weapon bays, masks, third party decal sheet etc etc, no multicolour plastic in the pictures so not first revision I suppose.

21 hours ago, One 48 said:

So there are three versions of the same kit? how do you know what version you have I wonder? I bidded for and won one with a lot of A/M so no idea what version will arrive? Plan to do it all doors open though to minimise fit frustration.

It also states on the box for the later versions. I have the version 3 boxing which I have only recently bought. 

v.1 of the kit only has 3 decal options - USS Wasp trials, VMFAT-501 trial aircraft & the f-35 S/TOVL trial Aircraft. Does not appear to have any etch

v.2 Added weapons set, etch (don't know about the decal options)

v3. Added etch, and more decal options, including international operators (inc RAF/FAA) also hardpoints for beast mode but not enough weapons to allow all hardpoint to be filled though!

• Like 1