1/48th Tornado GR1

Jabba

For this GB I will be using the Eduard/Revell 1/48 kit to make a Tornado GR1 from Op Granby. I have not decided which aircraft as yet, but it will be one that was used to drop JP233 bomblets. I am also not sure about the nose art as to if it was painted at this time and how. What I may end doing is having the full nose art with the dispensers fitted as if at a show not long after the conflict. I also have a though of doing a Saudi aircraft if I could find out the Ser No of the one aircraft that did use JP233s on one operational flight during the conflict.

The kit.

resized_69a3d4f6-7e10-4095-bd41-21eab033

resized_dd7bdbea-58a2-470b-8c35-c1327719

The Eduard kit extras.

resized_4ccc4dbf-ca9c-41cb-9756-0a465d34

Kit instructions and Decals.

resized_92f0f7aa-05eb-4a31-bbfc-bd6dd881

The Eduard extras that I have bought.

resized_d0423dde-b74c-4348-bf19-9c8297d9

Model Workshop Decals sheet that I have.

resized_7faeceac-90f0-4007-b0dd-cc072f30

• Like 10

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

very nice!

what about the kit decals?

how do they compare? would be nice to see a direct hi-res comparison of some detail!

Some hopefully better pictures of the kit and Model Alliance decal sheets.

Kit decals.

resized_f118a80f-64d7-425f-8c86-b24c6b23

Model Alliance decals.

resized_6e523433-c67a-406f-aed4-f35b5463

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 04/09/2020 at 22:34, 128fiddler said:

Somewhere I was asking the same question about that Saudi JP bomber, however getting an answer for it, I misplaced my notes about it... so it's known, but just not readily available... I know sorry....... 😊

It was you that actually gave me the idea.

I have made a start on this one. I originally painted the cockpit Barley Grey (or whatever it is called these days) only to find that it was too dark especially when compared with the new instrument panel. So I repainted it in Lt Grey, which when looked at against the etch side panels is not too far away. I have yet to make up the pilots LH panel as this has the throttle box on it which has to be made up and I did not have enough time last night. I have also decided not to replace the rudder pedals with etch brass, as 1 it looks a pain to remove them and 2 they will not be seen that well hen all the cockpit is finished. I have also made up a few other parts that can be built before adding to the main airframe.

resized_762f2f3f-b5c4-4e3e-a7d5-5d433970

resized_781cdaa3-f4ad-462a-8050-41eacbdc

resized_edd0106d-c78f-4ae3-928f-67d8e7c9

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Jabba said:

I have made a start on this one. I originally painted the cockpit Barley Grey (or whatever it is called these days) only to find that it was too dark especially when compared with the new instrument panel. So I repainted it in Lt Grey, which when looked at against the etch side panels is not too far away. I have yet to make up the pilots LH panel as this has the throttle box on it which has to be made up and I did not have enough time last night. I have also decided not to replace the rudder pedals with etch brass, as 1 it looks a pain to remove them and 2 they will not be seen that well hen all the cockpit is finished. I have also made up a few other parts that can be built before adding to the main airframe.

Good call on the cockpit PE choice. I've been working on an IDS build and found the foot pedals to be particularly bothersome, especially the 'rails'. The next kit is likely to be built around one of the Aires cockpits but if I had to use the plastic part again the furthest I would go would be to remove just the pedals and 'slot' the PE pedals into the existing rails. I also have the 'LooK' GR.1 sets and I remain undecided as to whether these are any better than the PE parts. They seem a little 'toyish' especially when compared with the offerings now coming out from Quinta Studios. Good look with the build! 

I have now almost got the cockpit built up. When looking at the etch for the throttle box it did not look right when compared to pictures. So I did not use them instead making the throttles from some square section plasti card. I have to do a little bit of weathering in here and the add the instrument panels as required for this stage. I have also been making up some other parts including the top of the intakes to the top rear of the fuselage. I have drill the 2 holes for the aerials that go one the spine even though it does not say so in the instructions. The aerials are yet again etch pieces that will be added later, but at least the holes give me somewhere to put them. I have also noticed a small circular disc towards the front of the spine which I think is  the GPS that was fitted later than Op Granby? It is not mentioned again in the instructions to remove it, but I will later. I have also added the gun panels to the forward fuselage halves, which again go against the instructions. I think that these have been copied and pasted from the Revell GR4 instructions, so it would end up with only one gun fitted. Luckily I found another proper gun panel in the kit and fitted this. If other modellers do not know the aircraft and follow the instructions they would be building the wrong type of Tornado.

Cockpit.

resized_ec75a5b6-e5b5-4284-81ef-2034898f

Intake and rear fuselage

resized_c10875d3-54c8-4acc-9dc0-9c354b33

Fwd fuselage.

resized_a7a29928-005f-46ba-a49d-58db1a50

Kit instructions.

resized_5e46f4de-7a2f-478d-ab0c-5e40c896

Part P248.

resized_8646b42c-30ed-4de8-a415-b038defd

On 11/09/2020 at 20:37, Christer A said:

Nice progress! I think one solid advice is to attach the inner piece of the air intakes to the upper fuselage part, to make sure that you'll not have a gap there.

Thank you for the advice, by which you mean parts C30 and C33.

A couple of pictures of the finished cockpit. I did try to dull down the sparkly effect of the etch and IPs, but it did not do much. I have also been having fun with the flaps (which I have deployed), but more of them later.

resized_e98db7b3-6001-4362-998a-16928204

resized_81195ddf-b734-42f6-a18e-6c11a152

• Like 6

G'day Jabba,

Lovey work so far. I am looking forward to see how you approach the intakes and wings as I am getting to that stage as well,

cheers,

Pappy

5 hours ago, Pappy said:

G'day Jabba,

Lovey work so far. I am looking forward to see how you approach the intakes and wings as I am getting to that stage as well,

cheers,

Pappy

At the moment with trepidation. 

• Haha 2

I have got the intakes together, painted and the engine front part added, although you cannot see much from the front. This was then added to the lower fuselage part along with the cockpit. I then started to offer up the Fwd fuselage parts to this assembly o see how they would fit. Although not to shabby they needed a bit of slight trimming and it was looking at this that I had a thought about the laser ranging pod and where it fits. Having a look at the instructions I did notice that there maybe a couple of flashed over holes that could be for this and then had a look at the actual part to see a couple of small spigots. So I got the part and whilst still on the sprue looked to see if this was right, which of course was true. So with trusty drill at a very long length (as I had to drill at an angle) in the pin vice I drilled out these 2 holes which you can see in the last picture. You are not told to drill these in the Eduard instructions (maybe in the Revell ones), but I also do not know if for a GR4 the FLIR pod holes on the opposite side are mentioned.

I am progressing with the flaps although yet again these are not the best parts especially in the instructions as wrong parts are told to be fitted, but I could see that they would not fit when they were off the sprue, and possibly the wrong sequence of fit. I have had to fill in the gap between parts an d I am sanding these down at the moment, very gingerly as the are a bit on the fragile side. I will post pictures of these hopefully in the next update.

resized_f3ccd49a-2115-44db-8bfc-4b4d1447

resized_9e196eb0-9e91-47c3-a918-35553ff7

resized_4f1dda94-a769-42f3-a0c5-6f1ab2b5

• Like 6

On 9/7/2020 at 8:46 PM, Jabba said:

Oh well, I couldn't get it out of my head today so I searched out ARC, where I knew the info was discussed during a desert storm group build. Turns out, Benner, which iirc who I remember as an authority on ODS matters, has a gallery article with that particular Tornado, being serialed "760". So, I hope this is info you'd like to have. Good luck 😉

Edited by 128fiddler
  • Thanks 1