Gunze-Sangyo Paint Usage?

dogsbody

I have just sprayed my 1/72 Airfix Hurricane's underside with Tamiya XF-16 Flat Aluminum. It's my first time using my airbrush on an actual kit, instead of the paint mule.

It came out quite nicely, I must say. I thinned the paint with X-20A thinner and added a bit of Tamiya's Retarder.

Now, after I mask off the bottom, I want to use C-S Aqueous acrylics for the upper camo. I have Mr. Color Leveling Thinner to use with it. Should I add some retarder to it, too?

I have the Tamiya stuff, plus a small bottle of Vallejo Flow Improver. Could/Should I use one of these? 

Chris

Thank you for your replies.

I have done a couple test sprays on my paint mule already, using some G-S colours. They seemed to dry quite quickly.

Now for the masking!

Chris

1 minute ago, dnl42 said:

Hm, I didn't know you could use MLT with Aqueous. I thought you had to use Mr.Aqueous Hobby Color Thinner

Seemed to have worked here.

50178524742_6a5b5bb648_b.jpg

Chris

12 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Thank you for your replies.

I have done a couple test sprays on my paint mule already, using some G-S colours. They seemed to dry quite quickly.

Now for the masking!

Chris

I've had issues twice with Aqueous dry to touch. I masked, painted the second color and when I unmasked the base color was a mess. Learned my lesson the hard way :))

Edited by bmwh548
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

I've had issues twice with Aqueous dry to touch. I masked, painted the second color and when I unmasked the base color was a mess. Learned my lesson the hard way :))

Same. I find pure levelling thinner with Aqueous satin/gloss paints doesn't dry properly even after a week or so. It seems dry to the touch quick but it softens and fingerprints/marks if you tape or hold onto it for a bit even ages after spraying. Instead I mix normal Mr Color thinner with the levelling and it mostly sorts this problem. Learn't the hard way too!

• Like 1

Interesting - I experienced this with Aqueous gloss black (once) but not other glosses. Now I use Tamiya gloss black with levelling thinner which dries fine.  The colour may not be relevant, as since my gloss black experience I've been also been using much more thinner and lower air pressures when spraying, so the paint is probably drier anyway when it hits the plastic.

Cheers,

Colin

When we could get Gunze Mr. Hobby Aqueous here in the States it was my preferred paint.  I always thinned with isopropyl alcohol though and never had a problem with it remaining tacky, it always dried quickly, leveled well, and was rock hard.  Also, I never had an issue with paint drying in the airbrush's tip while spraying and it was super forgiving and held up to weathering and the decal stage quite well.  I have sprayed Gunze Mr. Color (roughly 2 parts thinner to 1 part paint, at 10-15 psi) a couple of times with their leveling thinner and it is probably the best paint I have ever used minus the odor of the lacquer thinner...  I don't have a spray booth with ventilation so Mr. Color is out for me.  I do wish they would bring back Mr. Hobby Aqueous to the USA...

• Like 1

All I have is the Leveling Thinner and I'm a long distance from the nearest hobby shop ( a 5-hour, 450km./300 mile drive ) 

Should I use isopropyl alcohol instead and if so, what strength? I have both 70% and 99%.

Chris

1 hour ago, Scimitar F1 said:

I would go with IPA and the 70% but try it on a spare old kit first. I find the I get a slightly smoother finish with MLT

Will

I wonder if you could mix the 70% alky with the MLT? Or I could add some retarder to the 70%.

Chris

5 hours ago, Matthew1974 said:

When we could get Gunze Mr. Hobby Aqueous here in the States it was my preferred paint.  I always thinned with isopropyl alcohol though and never had a problem with it remaining tacky, it always dried quickly, leveled well, and was rock hard.  Also, I never had an issue with paint drying in the airbrush's tip while spraying and it was super forgiving and held up to weathering and the decal stage quite well.  I have sprayed Gunze Mr. Color (roughly 2 parts thinner to 1 part paint, at 10-15 psi) a couple of times with their leveling thinner and it is probably the best paint I have ever used minus the odor of the lacquer thinner...  I don't have a spray booth with ventilation so Mr. Color is out for me.  I do wish they would bring back Mr. Hobby Aqueous to the USA...

I agree they were my go to paint for years. I left the hobby and when I came back ... pooof they were no more. 

• Like 1