Ak Interactive promo teaser on YouTube

Seen their post on FB... A poo-poostorm is erupting. 

Whoever thought that would be a good idea needs their head seeing too. 

Gobsmacking. 

The YouTube video has been deleted, but from comments on twitter, they were using real Holocaust and Rwandan genocide footage to promote a new book?

Sounds like unconscionably bad decision making from AK.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

They've made a book on modelling the dark side of war, to put it nicely. How to paint realistic scratches on the inside of your gas chamber etc. 

Bye bye AK. 

• Sad 3

From what I saw of the video, it was disturbing. 

Spoken to a number of friends who saw the full video and they are disgusted and are proposing a boycott of their products. 

AK Interactive in their wisdom decided to use graphic footage from the Holocaust (bodies being bulldozed, ovens, etc.) to promote a new book coming out on the 3rd with some B-movie slasher caliber movie trailer on YouTube & Facebook "print" ads. It was... not well received. Not surprisingly the response was less than enthusiastic, as their Facebook page and YouTube video were bombarded with comments condemning them asking them to take them down and apologize. One of the employees tried to argue with people in the comments about how people didn't understand, that AK were likening their book to movies like Schindler's List, to tell a story about human atrocities, in the form of art. I'm no ad exec, but pretty sure you learn in advertising 101 not to use pictures of human atrocities to sell your chipping fluids. 

They locked comments on their YouTube video then started to delete comments on their Facebook page. Then they DOUBLED DOWN with a second advertisement teaser video showing footage from the Rwandan genocide. As of a few minutes ago they removed all the videos from their Facebook page after racking up hundreds of comments for their actions. 

Edited by Shin
fixed typo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

These are screenshots from their website of the book itself.

118697525-342375663797466-18789872565457

118700657-1713182342165638-3679895669176

118765923-631129424468763-50184201902478

Edited by falcon
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Thanks for images from the actual book. The book itself may or may not have some merit, others can debate that. However the advertisements were completely tasteless, among other words. 

• Like 2

@falcon I find these pictures already appalling and the page setup is just sick...

This statement from AK is a big miss “wow let’s do a massgrave ..finally I have the tools to do it”........

Disgusting.  I will be giving AK a miss going forward.

AW

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

The YouTube video has been deleted, but from comments on twitter, they were using real Holocaust and Rwandan genocide footage to promote a new book?

Sounds like unconscionably bad decision making from AK.

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

Disgusting.  I will be giving AK a miss going forward.

AW

Thanks I agree with the sentiment... No more AK. 

• Like 3

Oh dear, sounds like someone didn't think that advertising campaign through. There's a reason that theme was unique in advertising terms and hadn't been used before!

It brings us back to the regular argument that Military Modellers are "War lovers" etc that we see being thrown around from time to time. This will just make it all that little bit harder to justify to folk who don't (want to) understand why we do this hobby.

Duncan B

• Like 3

I agree this probably isn't the right product or marketing approach. I've seen a few pathetic straw-man arguments suggesting that not liking this release is not only trying to forget history but condemning ourselves to repeat it, but speaking purely for myself I've never accidently embarked on genocide because my model cabinet lacks a gas chamber diorama.

Had they wanted to promote human rights and donate some proceeds to charity, then a diorama of people laying flowers at a war memorial may have got a bit closer to the mark.

• Like 3

No doubt I'll cop a floggin but I have to say I'm not really surprised.

Too many in our hobby have an unhealthy fascination with the Nazi's (And I'm not talking about those who like 109's & Tiger Tanks)

It was only a matter of time before somebody thought this garbage would be a good idea.

• Like 9

A big misjudgement for sure, but if it makes some people sit up and consider that behind every carefully weathered Wittmann’s Tiger or brilliantly painted bust of a gritty SS NCO in the Battle of the Bulge is the reality of the camps, the gas chambers and the ovens, then the furore has served a purpose. You can’t separate the soldiers and the weaponry from the perverse ideology they were fighting to impose and preserve...

best,

M.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

A big misjudgement for sure, but if it makes some people sit up and consider that behind every carefully weathered Wittmann’s Tiger or brilliantly painted bust of a gritty SS NCO in the Battle of the Bulge is the reality of the camps, the gas chambers and the ovens, then the furore has served a purpose. You can’t separate the soldiers and the weaponry from the perverse ideology they were fighting to impose and preserve...

best,

M.

It is easy get lost in the technical minutiae of war, especially those of us lucky to have never experienced it first hand.

We care more on the mark and model of Stukas used in an operation than on the death and destruction on the ground.

However, I would wonder if someone buying this book to read about the best thinning ratios to make realistic congealed blood on their Rwandan body bags is really looking at and considering the history of the massacres, or if they are themselves lost in the minutiae of the scene.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

You can’t separate the soldiers and the weaponry from the perverse ideology they were fighting to impose and preserve...

best,

M.

Are we talking model soldiers and weapons or the real things?

I am struggling to compose an answer to you that doesn't sound like I am trying to argue against what you said or come over as condoning what has happened (so please don't take offence if I haven't succeeded with this attempt) however I do think it is possible to separate our modelling subjects from the historical fact to a degree. I actually think we have to do that or else it would not be possible to build a collection (of 1/72 WW2 Luftwaffe kits in my case) with a clear conscience. I am not suggesting we should forget or ignore the history behind the subjects but keep some perspective on the fact that, in reality, we are building plastic toys (that's the official category used by Insurance Companies and Customs & Excise etc) not WMD and most of us are not using them to promote or condone what the real articles were used for. This is where the difficulty in writing this kicks in though because the same argument could be used for what AK have just done and clearly they have crossed a line in the sand with this publication aimed at builders of plastic toys.

We occasionally see the argument thrown about that people who build military models of any kind are "War Lovers" and "Condone the use of weapons" etc. It's a hard thing to argue against when AK do something like this and I worry that our hobby could be the next target of the PC Brigade.

Duncan B

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Are we talking model soldiers and weapons or the real things?

I am struggling to compose an answer to you that doesn't sound like I am trying to argue against what you said or come over as condoning what has happened (so please don't take offence if I haven't succeeded with this attempt) however I do think it is possible to separate our modelling subjects from the historical fact to a degree. I actually think we have to do that or else it would not be possible to build a collection (of 1/72 WW2 Luftwaffe kits in my case) with a clear conscience. I am not suggesting we should forget or ignore the history behind the subjects but keep some perspective on the fact that, in reality, we are building plastic toys (that's the official category used by Insurance Companies and Customs & Excise etc) not WMD and most of us are not using them to promote or condone what the real articles were used for. This is where the difficulty in writing this kicks in though because the same argument could be used for what AK have just done and clearly they have crossed a line in the sand with this publication aimed at builders of plastic toys.

We occasionally see the argument thrown about that people who build military models of any kind are "War Lovers" and "Condone the use of weapons" etc. It's a hard thing to argue against when AK do something like this and I worry that our hobby could be the next target of the PC Brigade.

Duncan B

As with every delicate subject in this life, there are some things best communicated by not saying them.

The Messerschmitt Bf109 for instance was designed by a team led by a man with zero interest in politics. Willie Messerschmitt was famously interested in aeroplanes and little else. The aeroplane was a tool.

When someone dies we might send a condolence card. The card likely has pictures of flowers on the front, same as often feature on wreaths at funerals and laid on gravestones. Not many condolence cards have a picture of a coffin on the front though. One could argue that there's no difference, and yet 99.9% of people understand that there is in fact a difference, however difficult to put in to words. When a condolence card is received it's obvious to everyone concerned that all understand what's happened. Someone helpfully pointing out that the body is starting to decompose now and will rot in its wooden box in the ground isn't demonstrating any superior ability to understand what's happened, nor is it demonstrating a superior ability to cope with what's happened - it just makes them a tosser.

• Like 6

I think it comes down to a matter of degree and context. Building a panzer model is most likely seen an expression of the technology that was involved. Even building a diorama with a Tiger and crew is usually seen as okay, but if you were to depict a diorama with blood and guts and death all around it is beginning to cross the line. There is (I think) a bit of hypocrisy sometimes in that it seems acceptable to show a Mustang blowing up German tanks but a reluctance to show Germans blowing up Allies. Its the old 'cowboys and indians' stuff I suppose.

However, in this case the line has been comprehensively crossed and there is no space left for 'nuance'.

I do think these issues need to occasionally be addressed for other situations, but this one goes far beyond that.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 4
13 minutes ago, Kallisti said:

I think it comes down to a matter of degree and context. Building a panzer model is most likely seen an expression of the technology that was involved. Even building a diorama with a Tiger and crew is usually seen as okay.

All good points from everyone above...  I’m not saying this applies to all military modellers at all, but my impression is that there are rather more SS Panzer models and dioramas about than there should be, and that for some people, “interest” in the subject matter shades towards admiration. It’s never “cool” to be a murderous racist and fascist ideologue, no matter how stylish your uniform or world-leading your equipment...

best,

M.

• Like 7

And silly me, I was just thinking a couple of evenings ago on how our hobby is has seemed to escape the current division in the world, where modelers and hobbyists around the world can come together to simply create historical replicas and practice artistic expression.  War is hell, I know I've been there, but are we now going to start to debate and dwell on every piece of machinery's (or piece of kit's or person's) role in war and death?  If that's the case we would be left with a few mail planes.  Please, please, please leave the division and debate out of our hobby for the other 90% of our day.   

AK crossed the line and I think we should leave it at that, not let it take on a life its own, and go and glue some parts together.

• Like 6
  • Mike locked this topic