Hobby Boss 1/35 M4 HST

robw_uk

A FlaK 18 might be a bit early for an M4 in NWE although I'm sure there were still some about, possibly re-fitted with FlaK 37 barrels.  What about one of the 12.8cm PaKs being hauled away for evaluation?  Or a French 155 GPF?  These were deployed in the Atlantic Wall and elsewhere in France and had the advantage of sharing ammunition with the M12 GMC, being basically the same ordnance.

In Kelly's Heroes one of the officers commandeers a boat and has it hauled away to the rear on a trailer towed by an M4..............

• Like 1

i will have to look (possible christmas pressie)... tempted by the Tamiya 88mm purely for the price point and the extra motorbike to build but there are other options...

a good session today, final main component done including adding the wheel bracket for the spare halftrack front wheel (photo evidence I think is form the 155mm tractor but it looks ok). Have added it to the upper hatch at the rear which only drops to 90deg so would still open with bracket on (obviously with the wheel off ;-)) 

next up are the padded seat (miliput), "wooden" slat above the rear box (photo with the spare wheel also shows this addition - not sure if it a box or just using planks to raise up the rear - I think  the latter looks more likely) and then looking at improving the canvas doors. THese are VERY thick so having them in the open position would probably cause them to stick out about 1cm (the fold together). Going to look at either .1mm plasticard (bit flat and doesn't look like canvas) or a thin frame with varnished tissue as the canvas (fiddly ) - may be plasticard with tissue glued to it to add texture....

50350101421_5f0a2cefa7_b.jpg

50350260057_32812bd7b1_b.jpg

50350101281_640d47c78d_b.jpg

50350101211_590db19031_b.jpg

• Like 8

trying to see if I can get decent strength (ie can be cut with a sharp knife) from tissue and greaseproof paper. SO we have 2 ply tissue, doubled 2 ply tissue, single shete of grease proof and double sheet of grease proof... all soaked in dilute PVA glue .... If none of these work will look at PVA and copier paper... anything else that can "Plasticise" paper (heard of VMS stuff but by the time you have the acrylic strengthener and the stuff itself it becomes expensive

stupid photo time

50349639588_63baaefff8_b.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice progress Rob, coming together nicely.

Hope your experiments prove a success.

Roger

cheers Roger, so far either tissue option or doubled greaseproof... currently thinking the doubled tissue is probably best... what I don't know is how to get a window in afterwards.... 

18 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

cheers Roger, so far either tissue option or doubled greaseproof... currently thinking the doubled tissue is probably best... what I don't know is how to get a window in afterwards.... 

having put a coat of paint on (AK acrylic) it would look like the winner is doubled tissue. They all go floppy when wet so waiting to see how they dry up with colour (greaseproof may do well as tarpaulin tho).

so thought is

1) doubled tissue

2) pva glue/water mix (heavier on the glue I think)

3) paint both sides

4) cut out 

5) matt varnish

may swap 4 & 5 as I Would think the matt varnish would give it more structure

so that just leaves "how the hell do I get the window panes in?. IN the canvas doors theese would flimsy clear sheet so perhaps cling flim - but how to get it to stick - think the clear plastic I have would all be thicker than the double tissue so look "odd" (but maybe not all that odd). that will be the next experiment

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robw_uk said:

how the hell do I get the window panes in

How about sandwiching clear celophane between the two pieces of tissue, don't know if that would work as I haven't tried it just a thought

Roger

5 minutes ago, Hamden said:

How about sandwiching clear celophane between the two pieces of tissue, don't know if that would work as I haven't tried it just a thought

Roger

yeah had thought of that but would have to cut the window area out before gluing together which means tissue can't be cut with a knife... or do individual 2 - ply sheets, cut shape, add kitchen wrap, then glue the 2 x 2 ply together - trying it

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

Is this for the canvas doors ? 

Have you tried taping  a piece of the grease proof to your cutting board, gloss coat the one side, and when it’s dry cut out the shape using the door as a template ?

greaseprrof wouldn't be clear... at the moment sandwiching clingfilm isn't too bad - waiting for the latest experiment to dry. Think it is likely to take 3 days to do (unless I use a hairdrier to dry each phase)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Longbow said:

Well that looks good, but won’t the cling film stretch ? 
What about a clear acetate type material, such as a sweet wrapper?

good thought... not that I have sweets in clear wrapper... but I do have parafilm which is thicker than clingfilm but not as clear. I think I will do another experiment over the weekend this time using the door as a template, one with clingfilm and one with parafilm (I will glue/paint enough tissue to allow me to do all the doors once decided)....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Model Mate said:

clear sandwich bag would be a bit more sturdy than clingfilm....

ooohhhh yes - now thats another option (think that will be instead of parafilm)

just placed on, and wood grain isn't very obvious but have added the wooden "riser" to the rear. Just the cushions to do then it can be sent to the paint shop - doors are also in progress

50357297197_5e577d138c_b.jpg

50357297157_30e3ac1844_b.jpg

50356434103_b19503a6d1_b.jpg

• Like 3

I really must be bonkers... well 6 doors done... and boy are they thinner than the plastic kits. I will fold them all open so should look OK... this was 2x two-ply tissue and then clear freezer bag for the windows....

50359725756_2f8354a65a_b.jpg

50359890242_ebd25393b7_b.jpg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Hamden said:

Doors looks good Rob

Roger

Cheers Roger,

today's soft furnishing work was cushions. Kit ones were just boring plastic whereas in real life the seat pads were stuffed with blankets etc. This leads to a more "random" arrangement which I have tried to convey. Do need to add seatbelts as well but this now means this can go to the paintshop (might get to prime her next weekend)

50363114878_7da8a21693_b.jpg

50363810236_d170d721bf_b.jpg

50363114688_22a302c3e5_b.jpg

50363975472_6aedc49077_b.jpg

50363114048_1c2a7df41a_b.jpg

• Like 8

no photos but build done... I might get time to prime it over the weekend if I am lucky (son off to Uni Thursday so will need to gauge the mood in the house before modelling)