Hobby Boss 1/35 M4 HST

robw_uk

Everything else is heading to decals & weathering so time to start he next kit. Going with the Hobby Boss M4 HST (most likely in straight OD). It may eventually have something to tow (thinking a captured 88mm AA unit).

Usual box art/sprue shot to start

50294173431_2b671ef366_b.jpg

50294323512_59f6ac0086_b.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Rob, nice choice!

Fancied one of these but.....the old excuse too many kits to little time, will have to enjoy watching yours come together instead.

Hope it works out ok and good luck!

Darryl 

the more the merrier.... I may try a new modulation technique I saw (youtube I believe)... so paint the highlight colour first then, using a green pan scourer (the thin ones), tease its strands apart to create a "mask" and then spray the normal OD base... should give a random patina to the fading (thinking of using that over the decals too to show them fading)....

of course, my trusty test subject (Airfix "goose" seaplane with 18 layers of paint on it) will get the proof of concept work....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

tease its strands apart to create a "mask"

Suggest you give your mask a dose of hairspray before using otherwise your mask may add tiny fragments of scouring pad to your model (unless of course that's the effect you're after 🙂). Steel wool works as well.

Cheers,

Colin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckw said:

Suggest you give your mask a dose of hairspray before using otherwise your mask may add tiny fragments of scouring pad to your model (unless of course that's the effect you're after 🙂). Steel wool works as well.

Cheers,

Colin

if it is clean and unused it might not give fragments... but will experiment

thanks all for the comments... Not started with the plastic as yet but have done some initial research. I always try to add a little something "extra" and have found a photo with a wooden box (or perhaps tarp covered "tray") on the rear along with a spare wheel (by the looks of it from something like an M3A1 scout car. If I can source 1 wheel (building the M3A1 now but it needs all its wheels) I may do that along with the box.

Have also found reference of issues with the instructions so will make sure I double check everything (and that thread) while building and mention of serious casting marks that will need to be addressed.

Hope to get fettling over the weekend so will start posting photos.

So the first cuts of plastic have happened - phase 1 are the wheels... Making good progress with the first "update" - the springs have small holes in either end (shown in the box art but not in casting). Also done some damage to the rubber wheels (actually a first for me). 

50304215931_a66ed69214_b.jpg

50304215746_b56aefa053_b.jpg

50304309202_4d5c29658b_b.jpg

50304308862_6ff6dec415_b.jpg

• Like 8

So a good couple of sessions over the weekend. Started on the main cab units (including using silver foil to "pad" the seats). And then moved to the winch and the power unit. Like the engine and, using documentation on the engine, added a few extra pipes (not exact but add that little extra detail). and on to the extractor fan and upper framework. All the rear components are loose to allow for easier painting (even though it is predominantly green)...

50312686476_32cd4c002e_b.jpg

50312859377_589426e6ed_b.jpg

50312858097_01b53c482c_b.jpg

50312858062_b3e0a2c607_b.jpg

50312856302_93ca932577_b.jpg

50312014128_42cccdda14_b.jpg

For the seat,

1) cut some kitchen foil to the rough size of the part you want to cover:

50312881947_c4a8134f76_b.jpg

2) with super glue, affix it to the main area and the smooth over the sides (if needs be, add super glue on the sides as well

50312040273_989f0e4ed8_b.jpg

3) neaten up, this should give some texture which, once painted and weathered, should add a little bit of variation to plain plastic seats

50312881772_718279419c_b.jpg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Nice progress there Rob, getting some interior practice in before the big one!

Nice touches too, like the seat.

Should be a really interesting project. 

Atb

Darryl 

Darryl,

thanks - and yes... practicing ahead of 2 interior kits (T-54-2 and SU-122 ;-)).. so building, painting & weathering individual components as I go

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StuartH said:

That's coming along nicely. I really like the damage to the wheels and the pipework on the engine has been done incredibly well.

Love the tip about the foil..never heard of that. Top modelling 👍 

cheers Stuart... on another forum it was pointed out to me that the seat pads in the M4 HST were individual (bench seating was a restoration choice) made up with zipped bags filled with crew blankets/soft stowage so removed the kit provided one as started on 3 replacements. Benches in place, cushions will be made from milliput at some point. Will also look at the seat backs (plus in some photos there are pads on the side walls too)....

50317254487_abb489856b_b.jpg 

• Like 5

more time today than expected (parents are visiting the area). Managed to get the cab mostly done and the roof to the engine compartment. There are a hell of a lot of sink marks on the interior which means a lot of filling or covering with thin styrene sheet. Still need to make all the seat pads out of miliput and then attack the rear storage box. Everything still placed in place

50333723241_9bf8902ab6_b.jpg

50333723196_fab4fbcf84_b.jpg

50333885027_9b4a1817d2_b.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, M3talpig said:

Getting there mate....how are you planning on painting the interior ..looks a tight squeeze .......

yeah... leaving it loose which will help, and then a small brush for the smaller details...

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 12:27 PM, Longbow said:

I’ve never seen one of those. The idea of the 88 being towed sounds excellent !!

Looking forward to the build. 

The picture that shows the M4 pulling the '88 gun is a late version with a class B ammunition box for 155mm/240mm rounds.

26 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

The picture that shows the M4 pulling the '88 gun is a late version with a class B ammunition box for 155mm/240mm rounds.

did wonder - but if this can tow a 90mm gun can't it tow an 88mm? Know the weight is the governing factor . I think the image with the wheel on the rear is the updated vehicle is as well but still going to try it

25 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

did wonder - but if this can tow a 90mm gun can't it tow an 88mm? Know the weight is the governing factor . I think the image with the wheel on the rear is the updated vehicle is as well but still going to try it

In the Squadron Signal book on the 155mm Long Tom gun, it says that the M4 had a maximum towed load of 38700 pounds.