F-35A Lightning II (03868) 1:72 Revell

Julien

F-35A Lightning II (03868)

1:72 Revell

spacer.png

Probably one of the most (if not the) most contentious and publicly berated projects since the beginning of aviation over a hundred years ago, the F-35 in its three guises has been a marathon journey from proposal to production and testing, with the first few going into service in the 2010s.  Initially named the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF), there were three variants proposed, all of which shared the same overall configuration and look, as well as combining technology from the F-22.  Utilising a stealthy surface with internal weapons bays, supersonic performance and an in-depth sensor-fusion that provides the pilot with excellent situational awareness and a broader "sense" of the whole battlesphere, the software alone has been a mammoth task.  Coupled with the new technologies integrated into the airframe, and the number of contractors/countries involved, it has been late and over-budget on a number of occasions, with frequent threats and calls to cancel the project in favour of other options.  Various customers have also opted in and out of the end-of-project purchase, and numbers of airframes have been chopped and changed by various customers as political wrangling and budget-balancing became involved.  The Netherlands have stuck with the programme however, and has a few airframes in service with another thirty-odd yet to be delivered, all of which are scheduled to have the Norwegian-designed drag-chute pod to shorten their roll-out on landing.

Irrespective of the political back and forth, the engineering side of things has progressed through the hurdles, and at the end of 2006 the maiden flight of an A variant was made, followed two years later by the STOVL B variant with its controversial lift fan.  Fast-forward to 2015 and the US Marines were happy enough to call it suitable for initial operations.  The navalised F-35C later joined the fray in 2018 after many issues are resolved around carrier operations. The A variant is the smallest of the three airframes and is aiming to replace the F-16 eventually, although it will have a monster of a job replacing the Falcon in the hearts of aviation enthusiasts, as well as the vast differences in cost. 

The Kit

Here Revell have re-boxed the Italeri kit from 2003. The molding is good as you would expect from a new kit, some of the detail seems a little heavy this seems to be this way with some of the F-35 models. The first sprue is dominated by the main fuselage halves with most of the others parts and weapons being ton the second sprue. A tinted canopy sprue is also provided. In a break from the norm the cockpit is not the first to be started. To the lower fuselage the intake trunks are added in at the front, then to the main section the main wheel wells are added complete with the gear.  Now we move to the cockpit; the instrument panel goes in followed by the seat. This is an OK representation of the MB Mk.16 but really could do with a replacement. Next up the engine is assembled. Now the engine and cockpit can go into the upper fuselage.  The fuselage is then joined.

spacer.png

Now the fuselage is together the rear flying surfaces and tails go one, followed at the front by the landing gear there. If you want to the weapons bays can be closed up, though it would be a shame to close in all the detail there. You get a choice of AMMRAMs & JDAMs for the bays of you want to load them up. To finish off the wheels go on along with the canopy which can be open or closed. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Markings

There are two decal options on a sheet from Italy so there will be no issues there.

1. 15-5200 - 421st Fighter Sqn "Black Widows" , 388th Fighter Wing Hill AFB, USA.

2. 15-5164 - 63rd Fighter Sqn, 56th Fighter Wing, Luke AFB, USA

spacer.png

Conclusion

This is a good kit of the new F-35A, recommended if you want to build the new grey jet. 

bin.jpg

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit  logo.jpg t_logo-a.png or facebook.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/09/2020 at 11:17, Julien said:

This is an OK representation of the MB Mk.16 but really could do with a replacement.

I still think it's really surprising that, as far as I can tell, there's no Mk.16 aftermarket seats in 1/72 after all these years of F-35 kits. I'd love to be proven wrong as I have the Italeri boxing of this kit and I won't start it until I can replace the seat as it's so prominent.

On 05/09/2020 at 15:08, Yes_Man said:

I still think it's really surprising that, as far as I can tell, there's no Mk.16 aftermarket seats in 1/72 after all these years of F-35 kits. I'd love to be proven wrong as I have the Italeri boxing of this kit and I won't start it until I can replace the seat as it's so prominent.

Seems someone at Air Graphics read you mind😁

https://www.facebook.com/airgraphicmodels/posts/next-release-due-mid-septemberac-207-s-70a-9-blackhawk-tail-modificationac-224-m/1995631717237354/

• Thanks 1