Etrich Taube - Modifed Airframe 1/72nd vacuform

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

03b.jpg

04.jpg

The "Five-country flight" Etrich Taube of 1913 is now ready to take to the skies.

Of undeniable organic inspiration, this graceful bird, clumsy as it may be, heralded the monoplane of the future. Almost all its structural strength came, one may state, from outside, in the form of frames, masts and rigging. A Greek philosopher (like Styrenedes) may have said that at the beginning of life structure also comes from outside as teaching and guidance, when in maturity that structure has been embodied, and it's now inside, as in modern planes.

Philosophical disquisitions aside, this adorable dove, a universal symbol of peace, would soon become embroiled in less than pacific activities, to the shame of all.

That's why I have chosen to represent it under its better light. Igo Etrich, its designer, was not German as some believe, his birthplace was located in what is today the Czech Republic, but was at some point under Austrian rule.

The build started as a... how shall I put it... an extremely basic and old vacuform kit by Airframe, made by John Tarvin in Canada (consisting of the basic volumes and no accessories or decals).

05.jpg

06.jpg

The construction process can be consulted here:

Simple as they are, even old vacs can show their potential when you apply care and a little time.

Some research was involved as usual, and the build was carried on trying to find the elusive balance between all the aspects involved: data available, the chosen kit, time dedicated, accuracy, etc.

The build-saving decal sheet came from Arctic Decals, who delivered as usual great quality.

May peace and understanding, humanity's Quixotic elusive dream, be found -sooner rather than later, before it's too late.

Meanwhile, be the fragile, graceful, delicate, and inspiring outline of this bird, its symbol.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 3

That's absolutely stunning. You've done a superb job with a very basic vacform and your build quality, detailing, finishing and beautiful photography quite simply bring it to life. 

It was a pleasure to follow your WIP and joy to behold the finished model. 

Thank you for sharing it with us. 

Chris. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cngaero said:

That's absolutely stunning. You've done a superb job with a very basic vacform and your build quality, detailing, finishing and beautiful photography quite simply bring it to life. 

It was a pleasure to follow your WIP and joy to behold the finished model. 

Thank you for sharing it with us. 

Chris. 

Thanks, Chris!

Always my pleasure, as I repay the wonders I see here too.

Cheers

Beautiful bird!  I am always impressed with your work, your planes are fantastic.  I have wished for a more modern 1/48 scale version of this aircraft given its importance to the history of aviation but nothing is on the horizon. I do have the Copper State resin in my stash and I think you have inspired be to move it up the line.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

Moa, this is masterpiece!:clap: I really enjoyed the whole build, it was exciting. I wish you good luck with "modern" Tri-motors :D

Thanks very much, Andrew.

Yeah, that corrugated crate seems to give some struggle. We'll see.

Cheers

10 hours ago, Natter said:

Save me some time and just add your own list of superlatives here.  A beautiful aircraft, superbly modelled.

You made me laugh, Dave.

Thanks for your kindness.