My first car

No, not my first model car, I've built a handful of automobile kits over the years, though I am much more a builder of aircraft. This represents the very first car I owned. In 1974 I purchased from my cousin her 1963 Buick Riviera, she was the original owner, at the time of her purchase it was one of only four Rivieras in the state of Kansas. To stimulate sales of the vehicle Buick started off with a relatively small production run and allocated just a few to some states, some states did not get any at all. She drove it for many years, I actually recall riding in it on more than one occasion. If someone had said that the day would come that I would own it I wouldn't have believed them.

By the time that I thought I would like a scale model of the Riviera the kit was no longer available on the open market. AMT, the firm that produced the kit had made alterations to the molds, boxing it as the 1965 model. The problem for me was that major changes were made, when Buick brought the '65, they changed the location of the headlights and taillights and deleted the stylistic "scoops" on the sides of the body.

I initially acquired a 1965 kit and was studying how I could make changes to it when I got my hands on a built 1963. It was painted a hideous metallic teal color and the interior was merely assembled with any paint work performed. Since the interiors of both kits were the same I was able to use the interior from the 1965 Riviera kit and strip the paint off the 1963 and paint it to represent the 'Artic White' that my car was painted. I added a rear view mirror, radio antenna and "Courtesy Lights" on the interior of the B pillars. There is also a gap to allow airflow between the bottom of the grille and the lower valance that was molded solid on the kit that I opened up. And so...,

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking. :) 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Natter said:

Yes, the model is nice but...  You had a Riviera?  Not jealous; much.

I can still remember so much about my beloved "Rivver", 401 ci, 365HP V-8 "Nailhead"engine, leather seats, power steering, power windows, AC, tilt steering wheel, listed top speed of 120 MPH, I had it to 100 once, only ONCE, I swear. It handled very well in the snow, just an amazing comfortable ride. Buick made just under 40,000 total in 1963 and sold every one of them, I think that stylistically it has held up well through the years. I loved, loved, LOVED my Riviera.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A Riviera!  very nice build and quite a save on the body.  Great story about yours.  My dad is dedicated Buick enthusiast, but for Rivieras in particular.  For about ten years he had a silver 1964 Riviera, with the 425 ci nailhead, black leather interior with subtle but distinctive accents (maybe GS package?)  including (real) wood panel and finned aluminum inserts, and factory chrome and black wildcat wheels.  He kept it almost completely stock, except, he had the dual exhaust tuned -- a nice low rumble when rolling into a parking lot, a NASCAR roar when you gunned it, and a mild roar at speed.  It was a great car, but around that time I was away in college driving a small, low horsepower pickup - haha!  Thanks for posting - 

Cheers

Nick

• Thanks 1

Very nice build, I can't imagine driving something that big as my first car though, it would never fit around the corners in my home town :)

Perfectly illustrates the difference in car ownership between the UK and the USA though, your first car Buick Riviera 300+ hp, 1.8 tons, 17 feet long, my first car Mini MkIV, 40 bhp, 0.6 tons, 10 feet long.

Cheers - Rab.

• Thanks 1