1:72 Arma Hobby Hurricane of Josef František

Hello everybody

In full knowledge that there are plenty of these Arma 1:72 Hurricanes milling about I wanted to add my own humble contribution.

Its from the Mk. 1 Expert Set in the kit scheme of Josef Frantisek of 303 Squadron. I finished it last week and am posting now because we are at the 80th Anniversary of the formal establishment of 303 Squadron and completely co-incidentally, as I was applying the last touches, the Historic Aircraft Collection were kind enough to also reveal the public certification flight of a 1:1 scale edition ;-) from Duxford. 

In terms of the kit, I found the cockpit very well detailed but a very tight fit - much fettling was required to get the wing installed. The wing root was very good but due to user error the leading edge wing to fuselage join needed a little filler. Nonetheless, I was pleased with the end result with much thanks to Bruno from the Dakota club here in Flanders for helping out with a spare u/c strut to replace the one consumed by the Carpet Monster (in addition to the PE rear view mirror after I had spent a good thirty minutes making the glass out of kitchen foil). Oh, and I hand made the navigation lights from clear sprue only to discover I could have used those on provided by Arma all along! Oh well.

It was painted with a mix of Vallejo, Tamiya and Lifecolour paints, with Ammo of MiG weathering powders and pencils and W&N oil paints. Overall very enjoyable but I'd probably do the junior set as the trade-off of PE versus visibility for the cockpit is not necessarily valuable for my purpose (i.e. to go on my shelf at the office).

On reflection I think the panel line wash on the upper surfaces of the wings is a bit Over The Top (vertical surfaces are more muted) and also the chipping on the gun panels but I'm quite happy how the interior and exhausts worked out in the end...

As usual, errors and omissions are my own but as a long time lurker here on BM I would like to say how very grateful I am to all those who have posted their Arma Hurricane builds & experiences already (e.g. @Procopius@CedB, amongst others) and those with seemingly boundless Hurricane knowledge, especially @Troy Smith all of which I found very helpful indeed!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

You are perhaps  a little  self critical. Often  as not I won't spot the flaws until it's  pointed out to me.  But  we are all guilty of that. 

Actually  a few photos in natural light might enhance the model because to my eye there's little enough wrong with your  Hurricane other than the artificial light.

Nice.

• Like 1

A very convincing Hurricane, with dubdued weathering that looks just right in that scale.

Also a very considerate touch to name some of the cognoscenti, whose wisom help us less informed enthusiasts make better models.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1