Mosquito and Lancaster Taxy Runs, East Kirkby

Hi

I enjoyed getting close to the Lancaster and Mosquito at East Kirkby today. The Lancaster looked very strange without her wing tips. The BBMF Spitfire Mark XVI TE311 was billed for a flypast, but instead put on a quite spirited "mini-display".

In no particular order...

tn_8a20ef62-159e-44a8-900b-d450c4a6ba1c.

tn_becf0e43-ee3f-4255-a378-b26135ae154b.

tn_6bc21c8e-e2a6-404e-9167-b37da9e0b745.

tn_be0cf245-bb56-45a4-b844-d37fedefc99b.

tn_d972574c-eab6-467f-bde6-dc7140e3ec9d.

tn_fc47675a-e7f5-4113-9f5d-9dfe80d163ee.

tn_99a8fbeb-dc4e-42be-9420-4da7ce7b5ec2.

tn_334c1afa-6e18-4d92-9023-68f9101ebc01.

tn_37069c14-10d0-4ec2-86c5-22f8efb24283.

tn_e402b30f-0825-423a-98dd-f2eda07881d1.

tn_9301d2b3-1d76-402e-abae-6e9386ff6afe.

tn_907529fe-3cf8-48ed-b7fc-22a91138acbe.

tn_deaa84f9-0940-4bdd-b0e5-016c4574b366.

tn_aa637b8c-d9c0-4e59-bdca-d489dffa5091.

tn_d151ebb6-1f47-439e-84ff-7dd534bf296b.

tn_b78f6dc1-429d-4f73-b058-a448c63a4926.

tn_bd900d16-56c3-4735-aecd-43207f937d0a.

tn_47d68027-139e-4c87-a5ed-7239736fc2c3.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, canberraman said:

Another splendid day out Leigh, and lovely shots that capture the event. Would love to have heard all those Merlins in harmony!

Mark

Thanks Mark. It was a long journey for me, but worth it because I had wanted to see and hear the Mosquito since she was restored to ground-running condition. Seven Merlins in one day was a real treat!!

3 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Some smashing images in this collection. Very fond of the worm’s eye view of the Mosquito, that’s a unique perspective, good job.

Nice to see her with her cowlings in place too.

Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks very  much, geedubelyer. I'm pleased you liked the pictures. I'm especially pleased that you liked the worm’s eye view of the Mosquito, as it was my favourite image from the day! I cropped it very tightly because a modern mini-tractor was attached to the tail wheel.

Hello L,

WONDROUS photos  from you.   :wow:

I See nothings changed! Still crawling on your belly to take Photos.  :wicked:

AMAZING collection. 

:heart:

STUUNING ...loved them all.

That penultimate  photo  would make a SUOER Diorama!

:thumbsup:

Thank you.

:yahoo:

Hope you are keeping well.

HOUSTON.

• Haha 1

Hi Houston. Im very well, thank and hope you are too.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the pictures. I must confess that I wasn't actually crawling on my belly, I was kneeling and poked the camera under the fence composing the shot by tilting up the LCD monitor on the rear of the camera to allow me to see the live view.

Yep, the social distancing seemed to just evaporate during the taxi-runs, as you say. I must admit, I started the day wearing a mask all the time, but by lunchtime I couldn't be asked any more and had the mask around my neck - not the best move on my part.

It was the first time I'd seen a Mossie on the move - very impressive, but the Lanc was the greater thrill. When the Lanc parked up on the grass and went close to full-throttle, it brought a real lump to my throat. What an amazing sound. I don't think I'll ever be get tired of hearing that roar. It will be so cool to see Just Jane in the air (6 years from now, they reckon). All power to the folks working hard to get her back to the skies. 

Chris. 

• Like 2

By the way, I notice from your photos that you spent some time next to the Mossie when it was parked on the grass. I was the fella with the big microphone with the furry-cover, set up in the corner. Did we talk, by any chance? 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending information.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

By the way, I notice from your photos that you spent some time next to the Mossie when it was parked on the grass. I was the fella with the big microphone with the furry-cover, set up in the corner. Did we talk, by any chance? 

Chris. 

Hi Chris. I agree that the sound of the Merlins at full-throttle one by one was wonderful! I was fortunate enough to enjoy a taxy ride in "Just Jane" 10 years ago as a birthday present. The highlight for me was the individual full-throttle engine runs which made the airframe shake!

My last visit to East Kirkby was in 2014 when Vera was over from Canada and seeing her and the BBMF's Lancaster flying over the taxying "Just Jane" was a sight and sound that will stay with me forever. 

I moved around a lot on the 31st to capture as many different views as possible and am ashamed to say that I didn't speak to anyone (except for the burger lady!)

Hi, Alpha. 

Given all the current COVID 19 concerns, I don't blame you for a second for not talking to folks on the day. I was chatting to anyone who wanted to talk, whilst still trying to keep 2 metres apart (not always successfully, if I'm honest). I don't like the current levels of paranoia the virus is causing, but I dislike the "I can't possibly get it and so won't wear a mask" attitude that some have adopted even more. Some individuals act like there is nothing going on - I bet they would be the first to criticize others if they actually contracted the virus.

These are some very strange times we're living in.     

Chris. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Alpha. 

Given all the current COVID 19 concerns, I don't blame you for a second for not talking to folks on the day. I was chatting to anyone who wanted to talk, whilst still trying to keep 2 metres apart (not always successfully, if I'm honest). I don't like the current levels of paranoia the virus is causing, but I dislike the "I can't possibly get it and so won't wear a mask" attitude that some have adopted even more. Some individuals act like there is nothing going on - I bet they would be the first to criticize others if they actually contracted the virus.

These are some very strange times we're living in.     

Chris. 

I agree with everything you say, Chris and my Mum is very disappointed that I won't be able to take her to Duxford to see the Red Arrows next weekend  ☹

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to take your Mum to Duxford. As an alternative to getting in, you could phone the Duxford Primary School and see if they're doing their usual that weekend. In normal times, they charge people about 8 quid to safely park in the school grounds on air-show days. The school is about a mile from the airfield. Lots of the displaying aircraft will be turning around over Duxford village. You can walk into the nearby fields and watch what's going on (officially you're not supposed to go into the fields, but I've had no issues at all when I've done it).

It is not the same as being at the air-show, but it's a lot better than nothing.

Having said all that, they might have cancelled their participation, due to COVID worries.

Cheers.

Chris.   

30 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Oh, blimme.... I didn't even know that it had been canned! Considering that we're now in what appears to be "Second Wave" territory, I can see why they would do that. 

Roll on May 2021?

Chris. 

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, it is true:

"80th Anniversary Duxford Battle of Britain Air Show

‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌ ‌  ‌ 

It is with great sadness that we have taken the decision to cancel the Duxford Battle of Britain Proms and the 80th Anniversary Battle of Britain Air Show 2020. We were looking forward to the Air Show as much as the thousands of visitors who had bought tickets for what promised to be a brilliant weekend. 

We have been working tirelessly with our partners including Public Health England and South Cambridgeshire District Council in order to explore all avenues for hosting the event. However, we take our responsibility for the safety of our visitors and local community very seriously and feel it would be irresponsible to continue with the event in this rapidly-changing climate.

We are devastated to have to take this decision, and want to thank our visitors, supporters, partners neighbours and staff members for their incredible support over the past few days and weeks. IWM, like many other museums across the country, is under significant financial pressure due to the coronavirus pandemic so it is a huge blow to have to cancel one of our biggest events less than a week before it takes place. We are confident that our visitors, partners and supporters understand we would not have taken lightly a decision of this magnitude.

We are hugely sorry about the disruption that this cancellation will cause. We will be in touch with everyone who has purchased a ticket to offer refunds and options to donate your ticket to IWM or consider membership opportunities with access to a host of benefits including free entry to all IWM sites and much more for a whole year. 

We promise to return with a packed programme for our next Air Show season and will release details about our 2021 programme in due course. 

Thank you to everyone for your continued support for IWM. "