Cargo Tram Graffitti

So this is my new project. My plan is to make it a bit battered and neglected, though still in use. Full of graffiti in several layers, so weathering, graffiti decals, weathering and more decals, and finally the last weathering. Let’s see if I can stay the course or jump on another project prematurely. Here’s the progress so far.

I primed the under carriage with track primer, then added some rust colours from Vallejos rust set.

spacer.png

Next step was some hairspray followed by an off black mix based on Tamiya’s flat black. Tamiya’s paints are the only ones I’ve used that behave the way I want them when using the hairspray technique.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wooden floors were painted by using oils, followed by heavily thinned Tamiya transparent orange in the cabins, and orange and smoke for the loading area, which ought to be more battered and worn. Subsequent weathering will follow.

spacer.png

Edited by Torbjörn Hanö
Misspelling
  • Like 6

The body assembled, weathered with some oils. Ready for graffitti decals.

spacer.png

The cabin, a little less weathered as it's not as exposed to weather as the cargo deck. Decal for the speedometer (or whatever it is) from the spares box.

spacer.png

And a broken window looks the part, I think.

spacer.png

The roof ready for the rest of the parts, but those have to wait until I get the roof in place. I think that can be a bit fiddly. I've tried dry fitting it, and there is some resistance, so I won't press down on it until it's ready for the final assembly.

spacer.png

And some stuff that's supposed to be out under the front and the ... eh, front. The bolts will be painted in some rusted metal colour.

spacer.png

Stay tuned!

All the best, and stay healthy, please.

/T

Edited by Torbjörn Hanö
Misspelling
  • Like 14

Some progress. I've weathered the tram with some oils and watercolour on the windows.

The bars on the inside of the doors were very, very difficult to clean up without breaking them. Some were already broken on the sprues. I replaced them with 0.75 mm rods, painted matt aluminium. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I put on some graffitti decals from Uschi van der Rosten, the semitransparent set, and they behaved very well. They went down perfectly with Micro Sol. I sealed them with a thin coat of Mission Models semi gloss coat.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Next up is some dusting with MM Transparent dust and some more oils, followed by some more graffitti, probably mostly tags.

• Like 8

So, I’ve finally put all the pieces together. First some interior detail that will be hard to take pics of after the final assembly. I realise I need a new lens for my Nikon, I can't come close enough with the ones I have, and the deapth of field isn't good enough. 

spacer.png

This is the ceiling, in an ugly yellow hue, which I simply love! Who wouldn’t want to tag the inside of the tram? Notice the small light bulbs, a very nice touch from MiniArt! The hand railing (or bar or whatever it might be called) is made of a styrene rod, as cleaning up the kit parts would take hours and I would still end up with broken plastic parts.

spacer.png

And here she is, in all her ragged glory. I’m quite pleased! Not always does the result come close to what you wanted when you planned it. At times I thought I should have got the opaque decals for the graffiti, but these look more weathered and victims to the elements. Crisp colours would probably have stood out too much, so in the end I’m glad I picked these transparent ones.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Actually, it’s with some sadness I finish this kit, because it’s been great fun. Normally I want to get on to the next project, so much that I sometimes skip the final touches on a kit. Quite good is good enough sometimes. This time I miss the kit already.

Fortunately, I’ve got some new projects lined up, I just can’t decide on which one to pick. The Sopwith Triplane from WNW? Or a fast and easy build as the WWII U.S. Tractor from Airfix? A Silver Spit from the Tamiya 1/32 kit? So many kits, so little time ...

In the meantime, keep out of trouble, stay away from viruses and may all your kits come together effortlessly.

Till next time

/T

Edited by Torbjörn Hanö
Wrong choice of word
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, Pouln said:

Looking really life-like. Great execution of the goal you set for yourself. Well done!

Thanks! Showing your work in a forum makes you, at least me, try to raise the bar. Which is a good thing.

/T

2 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Superb work! The graffiti does look well worn and suits the aesthetic design well.

Thanks! 

Excellent! 👍

Goes a long way towards redressing the  lack of tram models on Britmodeller. My dad has scratchbuilt about 25 or so in 1/32 scale. They are a tricky-to-build but rewarding and attractive subjects with a very wide variety of colours and configurations.

Congratulations. Yours is a beauty!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Excellent! 👍

Goes a long way towards redressing the  lack of tram models on Britmodeller. My dad has scratchbuilt about 25 or so in 1/32 scale. They are a tricky-to-build but rewarding and attractive subjects with a very wide variety of colours and configurations.

Congratulations. Yours is a beauty!

Thank, it was a real pleasure to build and paint. I'm building more of these in the future, no doubt.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Moa said:

This is a very interesting project!

It's becoming an exceptional model.

I definitely hate graffiti in "real life", but the model looks very realistic and catchy.

Thank you, very kind of you. I'm not fond of graffiti either, except in designated areas and of high quality. Tags, they're just ugly.

• Like 1