1/72 Airfix Zero

1/72 Airfix Zero

Here is the lovely little Zero kit from Airfix.  A very quick build as I was building wheels up for display alongside an F-14.

This is a gentlemanly nod towards the movie The Final Countdown which had such an impact on me as a young lad.  The F-14 is actually die-cast metal by Century Wings.

Airbrushed using Tamiya white as a base and then Tamiya deck tan as the main colour.  Up until I built this I thought that early Zero's were actually white all over....!!  I also used the Eduard canopy mask due to the very complex framing on the kit.  A panel line wash with Flory grey and sealed using flat varnish.  Oops, as I was editing the photos I've noticed that I forgot to paint the gun barrels....

It is in our living room alongside a few other precious items that mean a lot to me.

Cheers all,

Phil

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 24

37 minutes ago, junglierating said:

You an ex LC ?

Oh nice Zero btw 😁

Not LC mate, GD Marine.  I've heard far too many strange tales about LC Ratings.....!!!  🤣

11 minutes ago, Booty003 said:

Not LC mate, GD Marine.  I've heard far too many strange tales about LC Ratings.....!!!  🤣

😁😁😁nah they just drive up and down in their little boat in frigate alley.....just wondered with the matelot in the phot ....could have been sigs or a maotly  being nosey 😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, junglierating said:

😁😁😁nah they just drive up and down in their little boat in frigate alley.....just wondered with the matelot in the phot ....could have been sigs or a maotly  being nosey 😀

That was my best mates (1st) wedding many, many years ago.  There is REME, Booty, Sigs and Matelot in the phot.

13 hours ago, reggie78usmc said:

Semper Fidelis! from one marine to another. got to work with some of you lads in Iraq! 

Cheers Brother!  I have many happy memories of working with lots of different US Forces.  We did a tour to the US, working out of Fort Irwin and also the USMC Mountain Warfare Centre (the heads were an unpleasant surprise!!)  Climbed Sonora Peak whilst we were there.  Getting drunk in Vegas and then over to LA on R&R...!!  Great times.  Also when on exercise in Sardinia we got a lift in some USMC CH-46s, flying along with the rear ramp down was so cool.

• Like 2