Jump to content

Heinkel He 111 E-3, Invasion on Poland, September 1939, Roden 1/72


Recommended Posts

Hi 

It is my first build (of planned four) done within STGB Heinkel He 111. Model presents variant E-3, kit by Roden, scheme almost from box (V4+BH instead of V4+AB). 

Machine was from I./KG 1 Hindenburg, used in invasion on Poland in September 1939. It is exactly 81 years ago... 

 

50290473898_474ef8c244_b.jpg

50291297887_b72866bf82_b.jpg

50291149276_933ca4552a_b.jpg

50291149466_30da729bb7_b.jpg50291149666_dcae4c584f_b.jpg50290474878_e55aec7163_b.jpg50290475118_e68ef0dc14_b.jpg

50291298902_d4184ea81b_b.jpg

50290475533_6703409ea6_b.jpg

 

 

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

 

 

 

  • Like 52
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve read that this is a very difficult build, but you’ve made a very good job of it !

 

Wulfman

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As Wulfman said, this kit has a reputation for poor fit and other challenges. That's why mine is still in my stash. What was your experience with it?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work on what is, based on what I read above, a very difficult build. May I ask what scale that is?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

I’ve read that this is a very difficult build, but you’ve made a very good job of it !

 

Wulfman

Thank you! There are indeed problems with fit...

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

As Wulfman said, this kit has a reputation for poor fit and other challenges. That's why mine is still in my stash. What was your experience with it?

All parts inside are two large - simply during design it looks like the thickness of elements like fuselage or wings was neglected. As result all inner parts are about 2 mm too large in each direction... So there is some work with downsizing inner parts. When you do this the work goes on ....

1 hour ago, IanC said:

A rare bird. Nicely done. 

Thank you :)

20 minutes ago, VG 33 said:

Congratulations Jerzy for this Roden not so easy kit.

Patrick

Patrick, many thanks! it is not easy kit indeed, but if you are aware that all inner parts are simply too large, you can overcame problems.

19 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Great result, this kit has a reputation all of it's own.

Thnak you. Surely this is not Tamiqawa quality of fit...

16 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Very nice work on what is, based on what I read above, a very difficult build. May I ask what scale that is?

Thank you, the scale is 1/72 (in topic quoted.. :) )

 

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Nice legacy Heinkel! From what I have read, it would be easier to get a big block of balsa and carve away everything that doesn't look like an He-111E. You have really done something to make the kit actually look like the real airplane. One reason why mine has been sitting on the shelf gathering dust for many years- but the early Heinkels are such neat-looking bombers, especially in the three-color splinter scheme! Well done!

Mike

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations for completing this kit as I know it is a monster of ill fitting parts (I have one as the foundation of my shelf of doom!).

 

Duncan B

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see one of those finished so well. I've always liked the early He111s because they look so different to the later versions. I have one of those Roden kits in my stash but for all the same reasons mentioned above by others, I've never had the guts to tackle it. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to ask how the kit was, but reading all the other comments answered that question😬.

 

However, you did an outstanding job on the build, and the paintwork is superb😀.

 

Cheers,

 

Mark

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nicely done, you don't often see that version

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 11:05 PM, 72modeler said:

Wow! Nice legacy Heinkel! From what I have read, it would be easier to get a big block of balsa and carve away everything that doesn't look like an He-111E. You have really done something to make the kit actually look like the real airplane. One reason why mine has been sitting on the shelf gathering dust for many years- but the early Heinkels are such neat-looking bombers, especially in the three-color splinter scheme! Well done!

Mike

Thank you, Indeed one can tell that there is a difference in fit between Roden and Hasegawa kit... ;) 

On 8/31/2020 at 11:36 PM, GrzeM said:

Very well done!!!

Thank you, appreciated!

On 9/1/2020 at 8:29 AM, Vinnie said:

Nicely beaten into shape, Jerzy and well done with that splinter scheme.👍

Thank you!

 

On 9/1/2020 at 8:54 AM, Duncan B said:

Congratulations for completing this kit as I know it is a monster of ill fitting parts (I have one as the foundation of my shelf of doom!).

 

Duncan B

Thank you. Do not give up! Maybe you can still do it.

 

On 9/1/2020 at 9:14 AM, Eric Mc said:

Nice to see one of those finished so well. I've always liked the early He111s because they look so different to the later versions. I have one of those Roden kits in my stash but for all the same reasons mentioned above by others, I've never had the guts to tackle it. 

Thank you. In fact I think that the Roden kit is not that bad as it is fame! The next one (G-3) which I am doing one will be maybe even more different from typical H or P variant.

23 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

I was going to ask how the kit was, but reading all the other comments answered that question😬.

 

However, you did an outstanding job on the build, and the paintwork is superb😀.

 

Cheers,

 

Mark

Many thanks!  I like the early Luftwaffe camo, it is challenging a bit but result can be ok. I am planning at least next two more airplanes (this time from SCW, He 70 and Ju 86 D) in such scheme. They are rather close to top of stash...

 

23 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very nicely done, you don't often see that version

Thank you! in this STGB i am going to do a kind of review of He-111 variants. Besides this E-3 there will be G-3, H-3 or H-4 and Z...

 

Regards

J-W

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A very fine job!

I've always been fascinated with how these early versions had a conventional cockpit and nose; developing later into the forward "glass house" we're used to seeing in later campaigns.

I've no doubt you wrestled with the build process, but it certainly turned out extremely well!

👍👍

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations. A very well done model. The internal structures (particularly the bomb-bay) are difficult to fit, the fuselage halves don't close without effort, the gaps between wings and fuselage are huge, and the canopies fit "more or less" (I built one of these Roden He-111s once...). Epic.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Jerzy !! very good looking Heinkel !!

Rarely seen and that is beauty !!

Well done my friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 4:54 PM, Mig88 said:

Lovely job on that difficult kit!

 

Miguel

 

On 9/2/2020 at 11:36 PM, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Miguel and RMCS - many thanks, apprecieted :)

 

On 9/3/2020 at 4:23 AM, kapam said:

A very fine job!

I've always been fascinated with how these early versions had a conventional cockpit and nose; developing later into the forward "glass house" we're used to seeing in later campaigns.

I've no doubt you wrestled with the build process, but it certainly turned out extremely well!

👍👍

23 hours ago, Convair said:

Congratulations. A very well done model. The internal structures (particularly the bomb-bay) are difficult to fit, the fuselage halves don't close without effort, the gaps between wings and fuselage are huge, and the canopies fit "more or less" (I built one of these Roden He-111s once...). Epic.

Thank you :) . The build is a bit challenging indeed, but troubles are predictable after first shock :) - problem is with all inside parts over sized by a thickness of fuselage or wing plastic. So when you realize, that all inside parts must be diminishing it goes well then. The fuselage-wing assembly needs some "rehearsal" and careful and appropriate use of file and small amount of filler then...

On 9/3/2020 at 7:42 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful Stunning and Impressive ! :worthy: ... This is my favorite version and you have done it justice. 

On 9/3/2020 at 11:50 AM, MickE said:

Looks great well done! 🏆

Corsairfoxfouruncle and MickE - many thanks, you are very kind!

17 hours ago, Orso said:

I am impressed. You don't see it built very often and having tried to build the 111C I understand why. 

Mant thanks! Indeed, not too often they are on RFI, but they appears. Dont give up, still you can do this :)

 

9 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Congrats Jerzy !! very good looking Heinkel !!

Rarely seen and that is beauty !!

Well done my friend !!

Sincerely.

CC

CC - many thanks. I appreciate your comment, mate.

 

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...