F-100D Super Sabre

Latest one just finished today.

One of my all time favourite aircraft. I was a bit too young to see them in their prime but thankfully did manage to see the blue and white Flight Systems aircraft before they were retired. That 'boom' as the afterburner kicked in was something else! I always see this as the American version of the EE Lightning despite only having a single engine. Something about the shape perhaps. 

This is the old Esci kit which still holds up well even by today's standards. Fine engraved panel lines and pretty good fit all round. The instructions are a bit vague in places and the decals were completely past it on my example but I was always going to use aftermarket Xtradecals so it was no problem. Finished as a 50th TFW machine based at Hahn in (West) Germany 

Painted with Vallejo Metal Color silver and dark aluminium with a touch of Tamiya orange weathering powder to try and replicate the burnt effect on the rear of the fuselage. I don't think I went far enough but didn't want to ruin the finish. I may try a different method next time... quite fancy a well worn Danish example 😁

Thanks for looking, comments as always appreciated. 👍

IMG_20200831_174639

IMG_20200831_174430

IMG_20200831_174507

IMG_20200831_174610

IMG_20200831_174400

IMG_20200831_174624

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 44

2 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Always nice to see one of these kits completed & that Vallejo Metal Colour comes up alright.

Martin

Cheers Buddy. Yes it's a pretty good paint. Straight into the airbrush with no thinning. I primed in grey this time which tends to dull the finish down, but if you use the special gloss black primer instead it really does make the metallic shine 😁

• Like 1

Very good build. The "burn" on the aft section varied from one F-100 to another; on some it was quite obvious while on others it was more subdued. Your work in that regard looks just fine.

• Thanks 1

Very nice build.  I too love the The Hun, something about the shape and that intake at the front just draws me in.  There are some beautiful NMF schemes out there and then the SEA versions with all their history.  Fantastic.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Cheers Buddy. Yes it's a pretty good paint. Straight into the airbrush with no thinning. I primed in grey this time which tends to dull the finish down, but if you use the special gloss black primer instead it really does make the metallic shine 😁

Yes I purchased that gloss primer, but still haven't got round to a build that requires it, so I haven't tried it yet to see the results. Should do another shiny metal jet! I was thinking either a Mirage III or a Thunderstreak.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Should do another shiny metal jet! I was thinking either a Mirage III or a Thunderstreak.

An F-104 would be nice too. Beautiful in natural metal finish. Just a suggestion. 🙂

11 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

An F-104 would be nice too. Beautiful in natural metal finish. Just a suggestion. 🙂

Yep, just seen a clip online of Belgian F-104's

It would either be one of these or one of the wacky color schemes from the George AFB 479th TFW.

Or is this too wild?

US479%20TFW104C.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely work!

I'm glad I got to see the Flight Systems F-100's, the boom scared the bejesus out of me first time I heard it.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

That old Esci kit still looks the part.  Great job on the build and NMF.  I like the look of the afterburner section as well.  It's usually better to be a bit conservative on that area than go overboard and ruin it.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks! Yes i was going to try some airbrush work for the burn areas but thought better of it! It's a difficult one to get right and as #SAT69 said above they are all different. A nice challenge though if nothing else. 😁