A Lightning Rescued From The Fire Dump (Well sort of!)

Well as a mojo-sapping trial this kit was scoring very high on the whydon'tIjustchuckyouinthebinO'Meter, I had originally planned it as a nice shiny NMF Tengah example.  Unfortunately my lack of experience and ham-fistedness with Vallejo and AK metallics caused such a mess that I needed a complete re-strip.  Unfortunately the paint-stripper as well as removing the errant paintwork also ate the home-brewed resin cockpit, wheel wells and most of the nose cone in the process.

The paint-stripper also made the plastic very brittle, and left a few breaks and cracks on the wings and forward fuselage, especially where the Dali-esque old wheelwells were removed and new ones slotted in through those cracks. Now why did I carry on you may ask? Stubboness and stupidity is all I can offer!!

Anyways, the cockpit, wheel wells and nosecone were all inserted into an otherwise complete airframe (it's so much easier if you insert them when the wings and fuselages are in at least 2 pieces I can tell you!), the cracks and breaks were healed as well as I could with gloop and PPP filler, but like even the best of surgeons we did leave a few scars for us to tell tall tales of our war wounds at parties!

Now there was no way that I could get the airframe pristine enough for a re-run of the NMF, so I chose to fight another day by going with a final air superiority grey scheme, and chose a 5 Sqn F.6, XS933 from an Xtradecal sheet.  Having looked at many many photos of this airframe online, I could see that the finish was looking a little tired without needing to be over-weathered, and there was a variation in panel colours of the supposed same colour, the cockpit canopy was from a previous scheme and there we replacement panels in both NMF and black primer to add visual interest.

These photos taken from public images shared on Flikr, to show what I mean.  I have attached the links as well as they are not my photos so credit to Phil Bradshaw!

English Electric Lightning F.6 XS933 "AJ" from 5 Squadron on final approach to runway 21 at Binbrook, May 1986.

https://flic.kr/p/nBm5LN

English Electric Lightning F.6 XS933 "AJ" from 5 Squadron, RAF Binbrook, taxis to STCAAME from runway 32 at RAF Valley, following a successful QRA live Red Top firing slot over Aberporth Ranges, September 1987.

https://flic.kr/p/nG17iV

Anyways as I've said, this kit has been through the mill good and proper, and I am just happy to see it out of the other side looking as much like a lightning as it does!

DSC_0314 DSC_0315 DSC_0316 DSC_0317 DSC_0318 DSC_0319

Now bearing in mind that this kit was a real save, and it doesn't come up too high on my top 10 list, it does however serve to highlight the improvement in skills that I have gained since discovering first Brett Green and the Brit Modeller.  I'm sure like so many good folk of this Parish, many moons ago I made my kits with solid colours, no pre-or post shading, no washes, no AM parts or decals and less technique and products to deal with seam joins, so as a compare and contrast, here is my previous 5 Sqn F.6 from pre-BM days.

DSC_0323 DSC_0322 DSC_0321

It's still good enough to sit on the shelf, but I'm pleased with the progress I have made over the intervening years!

Anyways stay safe out there!

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Both Lightnings look superb! I honestly can't see any difference, so clearly you've always had the skill.

I can't tell that there were ever any issues with the first one, it's immaculate. You should see the state of the ones I haven't had issues with! I think my whole collection would be shelf of doomed by most modellers.