Ammo dimensions

Bozothenutter

is there a website where one can find dimensions of ammunition?

Not just diameter x lenght, but all the others like base thickness, diameter at shoulder, shoulder height etc....?

Want to put these in Fusion 360 and see if my Sherline can make something.....

• 2 weeks later...

If you can get hold of The Cartridge Guide by Ian V. Hogg , I think that may answer your questions .

It`s a great book on the subject , published by Arms And Armour Press .

Don .

You can always work out the dimensions from the drawings as the projectile diameter will always be a nats nacker smaller than the bore dimension.

I guess you're thinking how big is a 'nats nacker'.  Well I have a Practice projectile for a 76mm gun (L23A1 on Scorpion).  Obviously the bore is 76mm.  The diameter of the projectile body is 75.96mm so a nats nacker is about 0.04mm which is not enough to worry about in any modelling scale.

Edited by dcrfan

So that would be smaller than a whisker then...

Looking for more measurements than ghat though....

Shoulder angles

Shoulder start/end height

Baseplate thickness

Wall thickness

Taper

Diameter at certain heights

Basically everything to create 1/35 drawings, and maybe cnc code

Royal Ordnance almost certainly still own the rights to 6pdr ammunition.  Might be worth contacting them.  I recall a conversation up at Eskmeals back in the 90s that 6pdr ammunition was still then used for proof testing armour plate.  If so, someone was still making it.

Bovington Museum archive will probably have 6pdr ammunition that you could measure yourself.  Also Royal Amouries artillery collection at Fort Nelson.  Sadly there is no current RA museum.

Any drawings of WW2 vintage will still be copyright to the design owner anywhere the Paris Convention on IPR protection is applied unless they have been released as free licence.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:58 PM, Bozothenutter said:

I'm looking for the Mk.IV QF6 pdr

Looking at my copy of Firing Now, there is one tiny thumbnail picture with dimensions of a 6 pounder AP shot, but no real dimensions of the entire round with the exception of what's described over two pages of text regarding the 6 pounder.