USAF Gun Phantom

SoftScience

I have deep-sixed the obnoxious airfix fresco and I'm bringing this project out of cold storage. I feel the few steps I've completed put me well within the 25% threshold, but if GB mods disagree, I'll pull the project. 

IMG-20200830-221752.jpg

This is the ProModeller boxing of Hasegawa's F-4e. This is the early F-4e with un-slatted wings and two varieties of nose guns. The very nice decal sheet has several options for phantoms from Homestead Airforce Base that spent the summer of 72 in Thailand, helping out with Operation Linebacker II.

I'll be building one of the two Mig killers on the sheet. Either Kelly's Heroes, with a single kill and gnarly shark mouth.

IMG-20200830-221827.jpg

Or the the aircraft flown by USAF aces Steve Ritchie and Charles DeBelleview , who scored two kills in one mission using this F-4e. They typically flew a D model. The way the USAF tallied kills, the pilot and WSO were both credited (as they both played an important role). Ritchie was a five kill ace, and De Bellevue left Vietnam with six.

IMG-20200830-221815.jpg

While the dual kill phantom may be historically more significant, I'm a sucker for a well executed shark mouth, (go home sundowners you're doing it wrong!), so I'll need to think on it a bit.

• Like 7

ooooo very nice to see an F-4E in the build...is it the first?

You are well safe with the 25% rule, you have plenty to keep you busy here.

Good luck with the build.....oh dear another nail in the ""you must buy the ZM F-4E" coffin! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sorry about the Mig-17 but having seen what you have had to deal with I completely understand and would have done the same thing, this hobby is meant to be fun after all!

The Phantom is always a popular choice and its great to get an E in the GB. If I had to choose a decal option I would probably go with Kelly's Heroes as the Shark mouth looks great and you don't see it built as often as Ritchie's aircraft, and its also one of my favourite films. :)