Enter button on Android reprogrammed??

Hey Mike et.al. 

Was there some reprogramming of the forum software for Android? 

Up until yesterday, when I would press the enter button on the digital keyboard it would advance my text cursor to the next line. Now it closes the keyboard. And if I press it twice it posts what I had been writing.

Really annoying to have to click back into the text area to get the keyboard to pop back up.

Devil is in the details and this one isn't very good

• Like 2

Looking at the logs, the last update was just after 06 Aug. Nothing about Android functionality in there either. @Mike for confirmation, but I think it may be an off forum software issue.

• Like 1

Check Google for the keyboard you use, and see if everyone else is having the issue too.  I know on my keyboard (I use Swiftkey), a short press on the Enter brings up the Emoji keypad, and a long press performs the enter function.  Seems stupid, but as I seldom post on my phone, it doesn't bother me often.  Try a long press first, then check the settings to see if you can reverse that operation so short press gives an enter, and long gives the "whatever" your keyboard was doing previously.  BTW, don't all flock to Switfkey just because I mentioned it.  MS bought it some months back and it has become a big PITA, and I'll be using a different one soon if I can find one I like. :(

In case you didn't know, you select which keyboard you use from Settings > Input or something similar.  Often you'll be using a Google soft keyboard, but some vendors put their own on, and they can be a bit poo.  You can switch them to another if you have one loaded (I think the Google is always there), or you can get one from Play.  Just be careful what you're loading, as they're not all good. :yes:

Yep mine to, I'm using a Samsung tablet and as soon as I tap return the keyboard disappears and if I accidentally double tap as I used to I hit the Next Unread Topic and invariably loose all I've just written!

Makes no difference how fast or slow I tap the key either btw.

To say frustrating just doesn't do it justice.

The Emojis which I love btw, have been a bit hit and miss for as long as i remember now cause the screen to crash/freeze everytime,  equally annoying!

Glad it's not just me!

Darryl 

• Like 1

As Darryl said, 

It doesn't seem to that the length of time the button is held down, has no bearing on the keyboard going away.

@MikeI suspect the Android people introduced something in the last update, which rendered the programming of this site incompatible. I doubt there is much you can do, other than informing the company of the issue.

@SoftScience good call, thought its was just me.

Exactly the same on phone and tablet, however the keyboard works fine for other functions,  emails, notes, Ebay, WhatsApp, BM is the only forum I have/use so don't have anything similar to compare it against. 

Really hope someone can sort this as it's a real pain in the....

Darryl 

• Like 2

Just spent 30 min trying to type the same paragraph and I've lost count of the number of times it's been lost due to this stupid keyboard issue and hit "next topic" or whatever its called instead of the none existant return......