“Tornado with Stripes!” - continuing on KUTA

trickyrich

Oh dear god has this one come around already!!! :yikes:

Well there’ll be no guarantee that this one will get finished…..though it is the 2nd last planned build of the year and work maybe getting back to my normal away/home schedule…..

Ok I really wanted to build a Tiger Meet Tornado and…….. well this came up for a very reasonable price and I liked the scheme a lot.....gee she's a big sucker!

IMG_2921-L.jpg

The box disappeared a few minutes after the model arrived along with all the bits not needed for the build…….then the leftover went into a much smaller/stronger/suitable box for my Tamiya F-14D!

IMG_3315-L.jpg

The only…for now….planned extras is a new cockpit. I’ll be using the Aires IDS one, but I think there’s only a couple of minor changes I need to do to it to make it suitable. That’s if anyone would notice!

IMG_3253-L.jpg

I may get some metal U/c legs as well….need to go shopping in evilBay :D

The decal sheet was huge…just like the silly box Revell likes to use. The only unfortunate thing with the decals is that they are a bit old and yellowy. 

IMG_2922-L.jpg

Though I have a backup plan, I have another set of decals from the later release of this model…..though the scheme isn’t quite as nice.

IMG_4687-L.jpg

I final fallback plan is the “Lego Tiger Meet” scheme, this one just uses masks…..I love masking!  :thumbsup:

Oh and the Yellow used in these schemes is a special colour of course and only produced by Revell and almost impossible to find here. I planned to just by 1 pot from overseas but somehow managed to buy 4….well at least I won’t run out!

IMG_4688-M.jpg

I’m hoping to get this one done, I’ve dropped a planned build, MTO and the MiG-25/31 STGB isn’t till December so I’ll see how it goes……least there’s no mod work needed with this one.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

You only have a resin pit?

Where are the wheel wells?

New Exhaust?

Wheels?

Flat brass?

Turned brass?

Cast brass?

It's like we don't recognize you anymore...

I must say that the first decal option looks ace!

wheels, new U/c legs, exhausts, and probes are in the out box of my evilBay.......just one click away! :D

I'm trying to resist for a couple of days....as I've just bought the new Zoukei-Mura F-4E from Japan!!!!  :wub:

I can't have them all show up at once as it's too hard to explain! :chair:

• Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I'm jealous the Tigermeet 01/02 is my favourite Tonka but that kit is really hard to find now days, I look forward to seeing the build 😃

I have noticed that, am so glad I got it when I could.

There are some around but they're going for silly money!

22 hours ago, Marlin said:

Nice choice Rich.  :thumbsup:

I'll be tagging along. 

And I can promise you some tasty BBQ pics in my own Tornado thread.  :eat: :tasty: 

/Bosse. :cheers: 

Oooo I look forward to that.....have missed your treats!!! :eat:

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Magnificent beast Rich and it looks a lot less complicated than my 1/48 kit!

I had planned to get the 1/48th version but I found the 1/32nd one for just a wee bit more so couldn't resist. I know the 1/48th version can be "interesting" with the fuselage fit. I will be following your build to see the SteveJ magic on this one! :D

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Another one for the top shelf?  

Good luck dude. 

at the moment this is very much line-ball! But there's a very good chance I maybe going back to my old 15/13 day roster (13 days off), I haven't done those for quite sometime! Last time I worked those shifts I built (and completed) over 10 models that year, all 1/48th, so have everything crossed that I do again!

• Like 1

Sounds like a well thought out plan Rich. I knew you would succumb to the call of the resin.

Its been a while since the Viggen so you must be missing the masking. I think masking the Lego Tonka must have been hard enough on the rel thing but I'm sure a man like you could manage it!

Colin W

• Like 1

I am looking forward to starting this one....just need to get the "Albatross" the MH-60L done first.

I'm about to go shopping on evilBay for a few    :whistle:   .... extras! :D

This is actually the simplest build of the current and 3 planned builds.

I do have one request...does anyone have a good picture of the backseat IP of an ECR? There are plenty of the IDS version, But I need to see the exact differences between the IDS and ECR version as I know I need to do a few changes and It would be nice to get them right.......not that many would notice!  :D

• Like 1

In my opinion this one of the best Tigermeet schemes of all time and of course on Tornado! Unfortunately not existing in 48th...

Will have a look at my resources regarding the early ERC cockpit... but can't promise much...

EIDT:

quite an elusive cockpit

seems that Eduard is quite correct with their suggestion though:

fe523.gif

https://www.eduard.com/out/pictures/1/fe523.gif

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/fe523.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is another build I have made a tentative start to, just done some of the simple stuff to get it underway.

I started to build up all the stores, I am really pleased with the way everything fits together nicely, plus the detail is great.

IMG_4691-L.jpg

Gosh that tail is huge!!!!! :yikes:  I reckon they should have gone with the twin tail setup like the Tomcat, would have looked cool………maybe a good Whiffy idea!:hmmm:

IMG_4692-L.jpg

The intakes aren’t too bad, building up now will mean I can get the insides sorted. The only issue is that there is now intake trunking, the intake finish with this section then a huge hole!! Not what I would have expected on a 1/32nd beast!!! I may have a go at cobbling something together, I’ll see how I’m going with time.

IMG_4690-L.jpg

There are some nasty injection makes on the intake plate!

Comparing the 2 rear cockpits there’s hardly any noticeable difference between the plastic ECR and resin IDS one. There are a couple of minor changes, for the sake of a simpler build I may just leave the resin one as is….other than a “plane spotter” no one will be able to tell the difference!

IMG_4693-L.jpg

The front seat panel is much nicer!

IMG_4694-L.jpg

Just sitting there she’s huge!! It’s my first 1/32nd jet….heaven forbid I start buying more….will need a bigger room.

IMG_4689-L.jpg

So far the fit has been a huge surprise, Revell’s done a great job…now if they would just fix their boxes!

Finally I have been shopping…… got new resin exhausts, new resin wheels, plus some nice metal U/c (the lower section, they also do the upper mains).

Now I just need to pull my finger out an finish that chopper!

• Like 9