“Tornado with Stripes!” - continuing on KUTA

trickyrich

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

I see that your Aires-it also had an extra coaming piece like the 1/48 set that I'm using. Long fragile piece of resin, isn't it?

Tremendous paintjob in the cockpit, I really like those displays!

Scribing in that scale? I guess you have a spare week or so to make it all?

The worse thing with the cockpit and those coaming rails was they didn't say how they should fit!! There was guess work and I stuffed it up the first time I glued them in place!!  :doh:

I'm just going to do some basic scribing so there's at least something there, she's never going to be picked up.

1 hour ago, Marlin said:

Great work Rich. :D 

The IP's almost looks like the real thing. 

What did you use on the screens to make them look so real?

I just use Tamiya clears, either on a a grey or black base in this case, there's a few applications of clear, the only issue is that it wicks to the edges all the time so the "screen" isn't completely flat.

Well another busy day at the bench. I don’t think I got as much do as I had hoped, lots of cleaning up of joins mostly and some test fitting.

Again, in no particular order……

……. started working on detailing the seats, this will mostly be just painting, they are looking ok, am about halfway there.

IMG_4872-L.jpg

I had to chop some of the bases off (more than was mentioned/shown in the instructions) as the canopy wouldn’t fit! But their height now looks right when compared to photos…….

IMG_4880-L.jpg

IMG_4882-L.jpg

…. started to tidy up around the coaming and had to do some minor adjustment for the front IP to fit along with the canopy…. all’s good now…….

IMG_4875-L.jpg

………...with all the test fitting I saw I needed to add some supports to line up the fuselage properly……..

IMG_4877-L.jpg

…….. should have some nice clean joins now everything is at the right height……

IMG_4878-L.jpg

IMG_4879-L.jpg

…. though I know the one on the sides may need a touch or additional work.

The nose is on, it would have been a perfect join if I hadn’t tried to make it even better…. managed to take a divot out of the fuselage side :doh:  ……. I had to use CA glue to fill the gap.

IMG_4873-L.jpg

I started to do some basic scribing on the underneath, was actually hard to find drawings of this section on an ECR bird, so eventually just copied an IDS version….no one will notice!

IMG_4874-L.jpg

Fixed up the side joins on the rear fuselage section, was a pain to correct, but they’re pretty much done. I will slightly droop the tail surfaces which will hide most of that join……. now all that is left is the fun job of re-scribing!!

IMG_4876-L.jpg

She’s getting there, I do like the look of her with her wings swept….. and takes up less space. Plus I have worked on the magical removable pylons and have added removable stores as well! But that can wait for a later update!

IMG_4883-L.jpg

IMG_4884-L.jpg

Will put her to bed for now, tomorrow will get back to the Skyraider.

• Like 12

Thanks for the explanation Rich. 

The office look really nice, and thoose seats. :inlove:

Now I'd like to quit work early and drive home and build my own Tornado. 

But that aint gonna happen..... and overtime tomorrow. :deadhorse:

/Bosse

• Like 1

Great looking model there Rich. If you are going wings swept you will fill the new house up sooner than planned.

I love the realism of detachable weapons, just like the real things!

Colin

• Thanks 1

thanks guys......now I have to wait another week before i can get back to her....away with work.

Detachable stores is always something I have wanted to try, not so interesting with this build, but with the Skyraider and F-16I I'll be able to have some cool configs!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Gee it doesn’t take long for a thread to drop off the front page!!

Ok back to this beast, lots has been done

The new cans are together and look rather nice…

IMG_5011-L.jpg

…..what isn’t nice is they will not fit! 

IMG_5012-L.jpg

The elevators are (were) joined together and could move…but very toy like and floppy as well. Well they don’t now, just a wee bit of persuasion needed while they dried overnight.

IMG_5013-L.jpg

Now why I glued the elevators on before joining the fuselage I’ll never know. The 2 bit of the fuselage went together…..in a fashion, some coxing and clamping was required, it was also done in sections starting with the bottom, then sides, and finally the top. The end joins….well not too bad.

IMG_5016-L.jpg

I even remembered those vanes on the intake bypass vents.

IMG_5015-L.jpg

A couple of “interesting” joins, but these were filled with CA glue…...

IMG_5017-L.jpg

……. a wee bit of sanding……

IMG_5018-L.jpg

IMG_5019-L.jpg

…… and finally, a touch of filler to finish it all off.

IMG_5028-L.jpg

IMG_5029-L.jpg

Next to go on were the tail unit for the fuselage and rudder. Fit was a bit iffy for both, so I added extra tabs and supports to help align everything.

IMG_5014-L.jpg

Even with all the test fitting the rudder join wasn’t the best, not helped by the fact it moved slightly while drying……it’s not going to be re-moved now that’s for sure!

IMG_5030-L.jpg

The wee bit of torture going on here is fitting one of the fuselage pylons……it wasn’t be co-operative at all! 

IMG_5031-L.jpg

She is a big sucker……though smaller than my 1/48th F-111, which is huge! I’m now not too sure it was the best idea to fit the rudder as it’ll make handling interesting. But because of the way it fits I had no choice. Engraved detail…..well it goes from nicely done on most of the surfaces to non-existent everywhere else……and I really hate having to do panel lines!

I’ll spend another day on her before I head off again with work, away 2 weeks this time, but next break will be for 4 weeks, so should be able to complete her and the Skyraider next break with luck!

• Like 9

• trickyrich changed the title to “Tornado with Stripes!” - 23/10 update

Impressive work TR, as is all the medieval looking scaffolding that was erected around the jet to make the kit behave,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Thanks 1

Just a smallish update, didn’t get anything done yesterday, had our first IPMS club meet for ages….nothing like what they use to be. Sad thing also is the end of year comps have been cancelled, had some beauties lined up for that….

….oh and did buy some nice goodies while there! :D

Cleaned up the joins around the rudder area. Some stretched sprue did the trick here, a quick bit of sanding and all done.

IMG_5037-L.jpg

I started doing some painting of the smaller bits, U/c, wheels, pylons and Harms :D, may do a bit more today..

IMG_5032-L.jpg

Put her up on her legs for the first time, the main gear and how it fits is interesting……but she does look the part.

IMG_5033-L.jpg

IMG_5034-L.jpg

Still slowly getting there with the cockpit, I know it’s not 100% accurate but it does look the bit and is WAY much better than the kit offering!

IMG_5035-L.jpg

IMG_5036-L.jpg

Work will come to a halt on her for now, off away with work for 2 weeks tomorrow. Next break I have to take some time off so should have 4 weeks to play with, should be pretty close to finishing this one and the Skyraider at the end of that.

…and now just for Bosse :eat:  @Marlin …

..Friday night, home cooked Black Angus Beef burger wt Bacon (everything goes better with bacon!!!) and a very nice 2016 McLaren Vale Shiraz…..

IMG_1764-XL.jpg

…..closely followed last night by a lovely bit of Porterhouse steak & potato salad with an exceptional 2015 Sth Aust Heritge Shiraz!!!  🥰

IMG_1769-XL.jpg

• Like 9

• trickyrich changed the title to “Tornado with Stripes!” - 25/10 update

I actually haven't checked the nose wheel stance to see if it's correct of not! I just had the new SAC nose gear just sitting there, I did have to fiddle a bit just to get it there! The SAC gear is a direct copy of the kit gear, so I'm not sure if there was/is an issue with the Revell OEM gear or I just haven't fitted it right........plenty of time to worry about it later on.

Ok a final update for today’s work, then she’s off to bed for 2 weeks.

Today was all about getting that cockpit as close to finished as possible and she is!

In between whilst waiting for bits to dry I started some of the detailing work, first off, a wash and a touch of paint…still lots to do but it's a start.

IMG_5046-L.jpg

The seats are pretty much done, they just need a final flat clear coat. The straps were a real pain as they’re all PE and each of the should harnesses are made up of 8 bits! (there should be 9 bit I couldn’t be bothered with that tiny bit!).

IMG_5042-L.jpg

They came out pretty good, would have been nicer if the straps were the soft material ones.

The final wee bits of painting are done to the cockpit other than the HUD, I just need to finish off doing the lens.

IMG_5043-L.jpg

IMG_5044-L.jpg

IMG_5045-L.jpg

It all looks really good……apart form all that dust! The seats and IP’s I’ll leave the gluing until the last moment, may even see if I can paint her without them fitted. I intend to have the canopy open.

Forgot to mention in previous post, she actually sit quite nicely without any additional nose weight. I will add some for security sake, but that can be done just before final fitting of the front IP.

This is a major milestone, she’s now almost ready for some primer to see what areas need cleaning up. I still have a bit of panel re-scribing to do…not looking forward to that!

Oh and here is what I bought at the club meeting…..

IMG_5047-L.jpg

…..I do now seem to have a developed a strange liking to Choppers....will blame @JOCKNEY for that :D, this one should fit in quite nicely. Have found a nice correction/detailing set for her from Zacto Models, they also do the correction set for my 1/32nd F-16I, a completely new intake! :thumbsup:

…and then there are these wee beauties! :wub:

IMG_5038-L.jpg

IMG_5041-L.jpg

I have read about them but to see then in the flesh! They are gorgeous, the detail is so fine and the raised parts perfect. I can see people chucking away there Eduard bits for these! It was the first time the seller had them for sale at the club meet, he sold about 40 sets! There were a couple of other sets I missed out on.

• Like 7

• trickyrich changed the title to “Tornado with Stripes!” - cockpit complete

That's all looking rather tasty Rich - your scran, the Tornado, and those stash additions. Don't bemoan the loss of the year end competition too much though my friend; it'll give you even more time to create further wonderful models and achieve total domination in all categories at the next one ;) Besides, at least you're getting club meetings, here in the UK we do nothing other than on-line meetings :( 

2 hours ago, Col. said:

That's all looking rather tasty Rich - your scran, the Tornado, and those stash additions. Don't bemoan the loss of the year end competition too much though my friend; it'll give you even more time to create further wonderful models and achieve total domination in all categories at the next one ;) Besides, at least you're getting club meetings, here in the UK we do nothing other than on-line meetings :( 

thanks...gosh we've had online meetings most of the year and a couple of 1/2-n-1/2 like the last one. We didn't have a lot at this one but those that came really liked to be able to mix again. More than anything else it helps to keep people together and sane!  I really do hope you lot there (and else where) got the chance to get together again..... for the sake of just sanity it's so beneficial.

As someone mentioned at the meeting, as model makers we naturally "self-isolate" so we should be the least worried to catch anything! :D  As someone else said, now we should be the most productive now as we're being stuck at home........but they weren't married!! :rofl2:

• Haha 2

Stunning work Rich. It will really be the 'Dogs Dangly Bits' when you finally get her finished. I'll be joining the fun once I wrap up the Battle of Britain stuff, it is going to make my 1/144th GR.1 look really tiny. Look forward to seeing more progress when you return in a couple of weeks.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

That's looking lovely - some great skilz at work. Which MRP did you use for the cockpit - DSG?

I used their Dark Gull Grey MRP-100, they list it as for US and NATO interiors. Though looking at lots of photos of Tornados there seems to be quite a variation in the colour...or maybe it's just the photos. 

Mine I think is a bit darker as I tried something different that I'd seen and painted it over a black base. It may change a wee bit again once the final clear coat is on.

• Like 1