“Tornado with Stripes!” - continuing on KUTA

trickyrich

nah, I'm not going to go that far, I want to leave the fuselage looking nice an clean.

I found yesterday that the intakes are going to need quite a bit of work internally. The detail is poor and there's holes where there shouldn't be!!

Will have photos of want I'm up to in the next update.

found out today that my new SAC U/c legs have arrived! :thumbsup:  Hopefully the other stuff I ordered isn't too far away.

Only have a week and a bit to go till I'm back home, then have 2 weeks off! :yahoo:

I'm in the mood to do some serious modelling on my break so should be able to get a bit done on this and my other projects!

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, trickyrich said:

...Just sitting there she’s huge!! It’s my first 1/32nd jet….heaven forbid I start buying more….will need a bigger room.

You've just moved into a new house!

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok work hasn't actually occurred yet, but goodies have arrived!  :thumbsup:

......and boy are they nice.

new main gear from SAC, these are mainly for extra strength..........with all the extra resin she may need it! :D

IMG_4766-L.jpg

But the gorgeous part is the new resin exhausts from Reskit!!!  :wub:

IMG_4767-L.jpg

These are beautifully moulded with fantastic detail, a massive improvement over the kits ones!

IMG_4768-L.jpg

I may even get a proper start on her today with some paint on the interior bits!

One change I am planning is I'm going to ditch any plans on doing up the intakes or even attempting to put in proper intake tunnels. It's way too much work for really something that won't be noticed in the end. So I'm planning to make up some intake covers for her.

I think some foil from wine bottles may do the trick....question is do the Luftwaffe aircraft use the same "Remove Before Flight" flags?

• Like 5

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

....question is do the Luftwaffe aircraft use the same "Remove Before Flight" flags?

Given this pictures

https://www.v1images.com/product/luftwaffe-panavia-tornado-ids-4325-tiger-meet-scheme/

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/21063/44-69-germany-air-force-panavia-tornado-ids/

I think you can use Red RMF flags.

Nice resin cans by the way. 

/Bosse

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Marlin said:

Thanks......after I posted the earlier piece I did some searching and found similar details, so some RBF flags are next on the shopping list.

Ok I was meant to be working on the Blackhawk today but got distracted…maybe tomorrow.

Got quite a bit done today and even had another (well 2 if you count the 1/32nd F-16I…go see the F-16 STGB page for more :D  ) pressie arrive!

Ok pressie first….the new resin wheels from Armory arrived, gosh they are so much nicer than to kit ones and are not so anaemic and thin looking either!

IMG_4791-L.jpg

The main gear.......well the fit on a couple of bit are a bit iffy!!! It's going to take some work to get them all sorted. The Metal legs while nice and strong are just a bit rough in finish and sort of not as nice as the plastic kit ones.....which i suspect have the same fit issues! There's a lot of cleaning up required here.

IMG_4796-L.jpg

I played around with the pylons and some of the stores, fit was a bit so so in places, plus there are some nasty gaps where the Sidewinder pylons attach to the main pylon that I’ll have to sort out.

IMG_4797-L.jpg

I also started working on the cans!  😊  They are sooooooo nice…I almost had a special moment with them, they are definitely worth the money and fit perfectly.

IMG_4793-L.jpg

IMG_4794-L.jpg

Next all the resiny bits were given a good wash ready for painting…..and no I didn’t take them into the bath with me either! 😊

For painting I’m trying something different, instead of using a light grey as a primer I’m using black……and I must say I’m quite pleased with the results.

The engine bits are primed, not sure on how I’m going to do them yet, my try something different…will look at more photos for ideas.

IMG_4800-L.jpg

The wheel wells have been started as well, the instructions say white but the experts say it was a grey colour and very dirty inside. Looks a bit dark at the moment, but highlighting and detailing will help bring it to life…..even though most of it will not be seen.

IMG_4801-L.jpg

The cockpit bits though came out very nice!!! The detail in these is amazing so now it’ll all be careful painting to help bring it to life. The base colours are all MRP paints so I have a really tough base to work on (did the same with the Skyraider). Oddly (well it is a Revell model) they’d have you paint the cockpit floors a green colour. According to those that know and worked on them the floors were black rubber like mats.

IMG_4798-L.jpg

It looks even better when sitting altogether.

IMG_4799-L.jpg

…and the biggest surprise for all is that it’ll actually fit without any major surgery required!!!!!  I had to keep check to make sure it was an Aires cockpit set I was using!   But it’s ok they made up for the fitting cockpit on most of their other releases!

IMG_4802-L.jpg

IMG_4803-L.jpg

Ok I’m umming and ahhing over whether to continue on her today or jump back on to the Blackhawk……time is ticking on that build……guess next update you’ll know what I chose!

• Like 11

thanks....... and as you can see i didn't get to the Blackhawk today as she distracted me again! :D

Oh well at least I’m enjoying this build, nowhere near the work required with the Blackhawk luckily…. so maybe tomorrow….

Ok while the photos may not show it, put today was a busy day, nearly 2 hours on here going through all the builds (no kidding!!!) and the rest on this baby.

Quite a bit of time was spent cleaning up bits, some being the weapons! The pylons or the HARMS needed some work, what Revell has you do isn’t quite right. A couple of new pins and 2 tiny brackets on the missiles and they’re sorted. The Sidewinder pylons are sorted now, that nasty gap is gone, and some detailing and sorting out of the outer pylons are completed.

IMG_4809-L.jpg

The gun ports are blanked off and filled, will finish those tomorrow, or when I get back to her. The IFR probe……well the Revell positioning…hints for a better word were very vague, I had to check references before fitting it.

IMG_4813-L.jpg

The wings are finally together!

IMG_4810-L.jpg

….opps I may have forgotten to do a step here!!!!!! :yikes: I wanted the wings and pylons to be movable!  :wall:

IMG_4811-L.jpg

:D But all is not lost, them there’s magic to happen here later, they’ll all be positionable and it’s all hidden in the wings and pylons……and no I’m not using pins……just metal and CA glue! :wicked:

…and the fruits of a good nights drinking put to good use here! This I’ll work, got the basics sorted so will do some detailing and painting and all will be good.

IMG_4812-L.jpg

…and speaking of painting…….

….the wheel wells have been repainted and basic detailing started…..

IMG_4808-L.jpg

….same goes with the cans, detailing to follow…….

IMG_4807-L.jpg

….and detailing work has started on the cockpit. I’m about ½ way through, buit it’s really starting to look the parts. Very happy with it, hopefully I can do justice to the wonderful moulding!

IMG_4804-L.jpg

IMG_4805-L.jpg

IMG_4806-L.jpg

The seat have only so far had some dry brush work, still lots to do on them.

Plus I have done a few other things as well, so am very happy with where the build is, I can leave her for now, knowing in the next session I’ll be able to close-up the rear fuselage section and finish off the cockpit.

• Like 9

thanks...unfortunately she's going to one side for a few days while I try and finish the Blackhawk.

That said there is only one days worth of work and both sets of fuselages will be closed up.

One annoying thing is that Revell seemed to have forgotten all about the fuselage undersides of the model!!!! Panels lines are pretty much none existent.....and I hate doing panel lines! :wall:

12 hours ago, trickyrich said:

One annoying thing is that Revell seemed to have forgotten all about the fuselage undersides of the model!!!! Panels lines are pretty much none existent.....and I hate doing panel lines! :wall:

I know a guy who has the possibility to provide you with an MW-1 dispenser to solve that little problem  😇

Hot dang, but that cockpit looks amazing!

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2020 at 9:07 PM, Christer A said:

I know a guy who has the possibility to provide you with an MW-1 dispenser to solve that little problem  😇

Hot dang, but that cockpit looks amazing!

mmmm but where will I hang my ALARMS then? :D

Unless you mean I build another one! :wicked:

• Like 1

Ok finally back to this baby…. until he Skyraider calls me! :wub:

Have managed to do quite a bit to her and now have even more to do on her!

Initially the Aires cockpit seemed to fit perfectly……. but after each test fit and adjusting the fit got worse!!! Anyway, after lots more adjusting/resin dust up to my knees/cursing “why do I insist on using Aires cockpits” I go it to fit…. sort of!

IMG_4858-L.jpg

IMG_4859-L.jpg

me thinks I’ll be using a bit of CA glue on this one!

The IP’s though did come out rather nice!

IMG_4860-L.jpg

A quick test fit to see how it'll all go together..

IMG_4861-L.jpg

IMG_4862-L.jpg

So, time to close up the cockpit………

IMG_4863-L.jpg

….and yes, lots of tape and clamps required!

I added extra support along most of the joins and the fuselage mating surfaces were quite narrow!

IMG_4865-L.jpg

Overall fit…. well not too bad, there will be some cleaning up to do. 

IMG_4864-L.jpg

I don’t have to worry about loosing any surface detail underneath as there isn’t any!!!!  Someone at Revell forgot this area! :fight:

IMG_4866-L.jpg

Ok time to work on the rear half.

I added a sheet of plastic card right behind the wing mechanism, so you won’t be able to see through the fuselage when the wings are swept forward, then painted the inside of the fuselage black.

To fit the wings and fuselage together you really need an extra set of hands as it requires some juggling!

IMG_4867-L.jpg

But I got there, the joins are a bit so so, these wing skirts are only glued at the top for now, will use a tool to push the lower edge out while it’s glued.

IMG_4868-L.jpg

IMG_4869-L.jpg

again detail is very soft or none at all on the side so I don't have to worry about loosing any......i just have the fun job of scribing it!!! :wall:

Now both sections are glued I think the main join between them mightn’t be so bad.

IMG_4870-L.jpg

Gosh she is a big sucker!!

IMG_4871-L.jpg

The best news so far is I’ve managed to find some good colour drawings of the base scheme without the Tiger Meet bits, which is a big help as the Revell instructions aren't! Turns out that the Norm 95 V2 colours are the same as used on my F-14D, this makes life much easier! 

Ultimate worst case scenario I could just do a plain old ECR.

• Like 7

I see that your Aires-it also had an extra coaming piece like the 1/48 set that I'm using. Long fragile piece of resin, isn't it?

Tremendous paintjob in the cockpit, I really like those displays!

Scribing in that scale? I guess you have a spare week or so to make it all?

• Thanks 1