Best white paint for fine-detail brushing?

GrahamB

Hi,

I just thought the figure modelling crew might be the best to answer this query. I'm soon going to be painting some fine white camouflage detailing on a 1/700 ship model - streaks and lines over a dark grey base - and wondered if anyone has experience of a good (opaque) white paint that covers well with a fine brush with little need for multiple strokes or coats? Vallejo might be OK - but I need to practise. Any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers, GrahamB

Thanks guys. I'll have a practice with the whites I got (including a Vallejo type). I've a few Scalecolor acrylics that have hardly been used (no white though).

I'm not a ship modeler, but I was a sailor. Pusser's paint tends to streak and run in a powdery, very light grey colour. Salt, sun and grey, white and black paint over gently rusting steel leaves an off white residue.

I don't know what you're using for reference shots, but if the effect you're after doesn't come with using white paint, perhaps consider slightly darker tones? Vallejo 'insignia white', if you've got it, has a very faint grey/green tone to it. Just a thought...