Email notifications in Outlook

57 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

It's not client related (e.g. apps). 
The best check is the web interface - Outlook dot com is basically Exchange Online, just like Office365 uses, with the same Antispam/Virus/bladibla bits. 

Thank you alt-92. Yes I've tried that too with no luck yet.

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

I've still not any notification emails from Britmodeller or YouTube. And I've not heard anything more from Outlook Support.

Same here. 

One thing I have noticed is that outlook is saying I have well over 100 unread e-mails in my inbox, when there are far less than that showing, so I'm wondering if the BM mails are hiding out of sight somewhere....!! 🤣

Keith

Here's a little background info from Support:

Over the last week or so we have noticed a very high amount of support requests related to email deliverability issues with Microsoft.

Unfortunately you are not the only customer that is in the current situation. Quite a few of our customers are experiencing the exact same issues. There aren't too many similarities between the cases, the affected IP addresses are from different ranges and we have numerous delisting requests submitted.

The problem is that Microsoft support reps are taking days to respond to our tickets which leads us to believe that there are quite a few IP addresses/IP address ranges affected.

I remember something similar happening about a year ago with Google and it turned out that they were making changes to their SPAM filters (I am just going by memory here, please don't quote me on this).

With all that being said please rest assured that we would get back to you as soon as we receive any information from Microsoft.

I am afraid however that at this point there is not much else that we can do to further assist.

Looks like some bright spark (read: idiot) decided that a wholesale change to their spam definition was needed, and implemented it with no thought for all the innocents it would inconvenience.  I'd be shocked if it wasn't Microsoft.  Whoever is in charge now makes Bill Gates look like a flippin' business genius. :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Looks like some bright spark (read: idiot) decided that a wholesale change to their spam definition was needed, and implemented it with no thought for all the innocents it would inconvenience. 

This is what I see as being typical IT ''development' ' these days Mike - they have no clue about testing and making sure things work before live release, preferring to use their customers as their testing team and then often seemingly having no clue as to how to fix the mess they've created.... And it wouldn't be so bad if their existing spam filters worked properly either. I'm forever having to white list addresses I've had mail from for years that MS suddenly decides is spam and dump them into junk mail...

9 hours ago, Mike said:

I'd be shocked if it wasn't Microsoft.

I'd have put money on that when the whole thing started... and still would!

However, I was interested in Support's mention of Google having done the same thing last year. I've changed the email I receive Youtube notifications to from Outlook to a Gmail addy I have. And I'm still not getting any notifications there either! So a Google product appears to be unable to send e-mail notifications to another google product, so it looks like they've had a bit of a SNAFU too.....!!! 🤣

Keith

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

'm forever having to white list addresses I've had mail from for years that MS suddenly decides is spam and dump them into junk mail...

Yes.

Well. 
Any idea how many times I have had to deal with misconfigured and badly maintained mailservers from major parties in my IT dayjob?

Sales & marketing or the 'communications' department just hire the cheapest bulkmail service and then start complaining when their Uber hypey, full of tracking pixels and chock full of badly written HTML, pictures hotlinked, mass mail marketing campaign fails to reach the intended recipients (bad contact lists, bulk relay servers used, missing DNS records for that fancy specially-bought domain name used in the mail).

Which then means major mail hosts such as Gmail/MS can't go too strict in order to not damage their own standing as mail hosting (booo! nothing gets through! they suck!)

/end rant.

Anti-spam walks a fine line between reducing the abhorrent amount of sh## floating around (80-90% of all mail traffic is.... spam!) and getting reasonably valid stuff through.

It's actually a miracle email still works!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'd have put money on that when the whole thing started... and still would!

I think I should have put a comma in my original, as in "I'd be shocked, if it wasn't Microsoft".  They ruin everything they get their hands on.  Skype still isn't the same about 2 years since they screwed that up after buying it, Swiftkey went from being the best Android keyboard to being an illiterate idiot almost overnight after they bought that too.  Internet Explorer went from being the dominant browser to a sad also ran, using the competition's code base because they can't create their own, and Windows Mobile went the way of the dinosaur too after many name changes and very little in terms of added functionality.  I'm sure the list is longer, but I can't remember right now.  I suspect that any decent coders go to the core products, which I believe are Cloud services, the OS being a poor cousin, and the rest probably just get the numpties that have proven themselves to be a bit rubbish but would be too expensive to get rid of.  Shades of the IT Crowd, only not funny :owww:

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

using the competition's code base because they can't create their own,

I could tell you stories about dirty tricks.

But I won't. :P

With a bit of help from @alt-92 we've just tried a little self-help fiddling with the settings governing our mail server, and we'll see whether that has any positive results as it propagates round the net overnight.  As usual, if your feed recommences, do let us know, and give our lovely Lauren Bacall a pat on the back for being helpful :thanks:

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Still nothing, I'm beginning to abandon hope....

(just kidding! 🤣)

Keith

Hopeless, aren't they? :dull: There's not even much point in following up with Support, as they can't do anything at this stage :(

Fortunately I don't use my Outlook account for notifications. They are a big enough PITA without that.

I frequently get emails from senders in my address book, but as soon as I go to reply, Outlook changes the address code, and I have to amend the response; or I get 'can't send your message at the moment'. It will do this repeatedly. It's sometimes necessary to BCC to another of my email addresses in order to get it to send.

I have a friend who has had trouble deleting old emails. Had several hundred in her folders, and had to do them one at a time, log off, and back in again to do the next.

Not fit for purpose.

TBF, I find Outlook in general to be pretty good, especially seeing it's free! IMO it's much better than my Gmail account.

However, you have to laugh - ever since they did whatever they did to stuff up the 'spam settings' I've been getting an email titled 'AD' appearing at the top of the inbox. As I never look at anything ad related I've just been deleting them without thinking. However I just happened to notice the subject of the latest one to arrive - and it's flippin' spam....!! 🤣

Keith

Weirdly, Outlook Mobile Support got in touch again this evening asking if my problem had been resolved and asked me to do couple of things - neither of which made any difference. I don't have much faith in them being able to resolve this issue. Hey ho....

I am beginning to think Microsoft are not going to be able to sort this out. Not a major issue at the moment but I'm hosting GBs in a couple of months and the notifications are a good way to keep up with what's going on. Oh well.. ..

• Sad 1

Wonder if hosting support for BM has bumped the ticket at Microsoft at all..  Sometimes you have to try requesting removal from blocklists again (especially after recent DNS changes).