Hello everyone... I will be doing this KittyHawk III as my second build in my dogfight duo. It will be an aircraft of 112 Squadron to oppose my Hasegawa Macchi.
oPl00sF.jpg

I am using the AMT 1/48 KittyHawk III/P-40K for the build.
8fP7P3R.jpg

This will be my 5th AMT P-40 since coming back to the hobby in 2015. They're for the most part decent kits except for the bland cockpit. But I'm not worried about that to much. Here are the sprue shots. As you can see they're still bagged and full of flash. qVYE6C0.jpg

7yA3dwG.jpg

ATxKkGF.jpg

572QKoS.jpg

The kit gives options for both short and long tailed “K’s”. Not sure which I will go with, I have recently built a fat tailed KittyHawk of 112 Squadron so may go with the long tail this time. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 11

Hmmmm So it turns out my decals for 112 Squadron are for a Mustang. I do however have a set for 450 Squadron and can do either a KittyHawk III or IV. I have decals for 250 Squadron but am missing the LD codes. I think I will go with the boxing Kangaroo nose-art of KittyHawk IV OK*N it has what appears to be a modified Olive/NG or DFS with Dk.earth added. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Hi Dennis,

Nice choice 👍

I have an Italieri boxing of the same kit and built the M version in the P-40 STGB it's a good kit. 

I look forward a seeing it progress.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone... Not much but I was able to get a start on these finally. rEi0afj.jpg
Ive opted to go with a long tailed K and will save the fat-tail for another build. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Hello everyone... ok I did some more work today. These old AMT P-40’s are either great or so so. This one is definitely on the so so list. First thing I did was add the exhausts to the panels and they were drilled out before mounting. NzexzJC.jpg

XaRXkdv.jpg

I usually shim these with plastic strip as AMT never did do well on the mounting pins/tabs. 

p6MMQM8.jpg

Z2WQb9U.jpg

AAamu72.jpg

f9bjEqZ.jpg
This kit the cockpit decided to go all caddywampus on me and decided to be a right pain in the bum to mount square. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 8

6 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Good work Dennis 👍

Looking good from here. Did you get your decals sorted out? 

Cheers Greg

Sort of Greg, I have a complete set for 450 Sq. And a partial for 250 Sq. I would need the LO codes for that one. For 112 Sq. I have a complete set but they're sized for a Mustang Mk.IV and a slightly darker color as the were designed for the firewall scheme or DFS. I can fudge and use them anyways but dont know if I will. The sharks-mouth for 112 Sq. Im not worried about. I have half a dozen or so sets of various sharks-mouth’s for P-40/kitty-tomahawks collected. One is bound to look correct on this if I go that route. I could even hand paint one if needed but its not my primary choice. 

Dennis

Edit: I could actually do 66th FS. also I just need to find appropriate numbers. qrA8mbn.jpg

• Like 2

Evening everyone...I was able to chop away all the insane flash on the sprues to find a pair of wings. Once they were glued up and  good to go I test fitted and was happy to see such a great fit on them to the fuselage. BlTrFwe.jpg
In fact they fit so well I glued them in right then and there. The only place with any issues was right at the forward join. I used a bit of sprue to spread the fuselage wider to meet the wing join. That will be covered by the cooling flaps when its dry. 

Tvoe14o.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Evening everybody.... Well filling, sanding, and re-scribing is all done now. I just need to add a few little odds n sods to do and then its on to paint. 
XhtkA0n.jpg

Dennis

• Like 4

Hello everyone... Well I was able to get a bit of color on this and the Folgore build. I painted the lower color on this. 
BYG1Bq3.jpg
As you can see I will be adding the bomb racks and drop tank/bomb rack on the centerline. Im not sure if I will bomb her up as I only have U.S. Bombs in this scale. Im doing it as I've seen multiple photo’s of KittyHawks in Theater with racks and some with bombs.

IKwjw7S.jpg

fpQE3tD.jpg

KePqNCw.jpg

X0ifHNr.jpg

Dennis

• Like 5

Good morning everybody... I was able to lay down the top colors on this today. I gave it a bit of fade on the green but need to fade the brown a little on some areas yet. lmakFXb.jpg

5QMJDgO.jpg

1AZYkHz.jpg

uejyZjI.jpg

3ba7kTX.jpg

Dennis

• Like 7

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Just caught up on this one Dennis and I am really impressed, you have done an excellent job on getting her together and the paint is looking really nice too.

Thanks I'm happy with 90% of it. I will need to touch up one area of Dk.earth. It is not shaped right to my Mk.I’s 👀

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning everyone... I was able to do the decals on this but I'm not holding my breath. The ones that didn't crack into pieces dont seem to want to stick even with several layers of Microsol. We will see tomorrow if they can be clear coated into a save. If I cant save the decals then this plane will get shelved until I can get decals for it. Probably after the new year for budgetary reasons, stay tuned for an update tomorrow. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hello everyone... Happy to say your well wishes paid off. Im also happy to say even after 30+ years of using micro-scale stuff Im amazed how well it works. gywVYQT.jpg

BNbyU5O.jpg

The jaws were not designed to fit this particular kit. So had to do some touch-ups around the nose. 28sdUIL.jpg

ifHF4QL.jpg

Dennis

• Like 7